Author Topic: A Photopolymer Journey  (Read 2444 times)

Lawrie

A Photopolymer Journey
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Sometimes methinks I am a masochist! When things seem to be going well photographically I start getting restless and think new ways of presenting my work. As far back as I can remember I have been fascinated with photogravure in particular and the etching process in general.The work of Alfred Stieglitz and his secessionist contemporaries of the late 19th and early 20th century is truly inspiring, but the health risks associated with the processes are rather off putting!

I recently began exploring the potential of photopolymer plates in the production of intaglio prints in the "photogravure tradition".  What a journey it has been! I first constructed a vacuum frame and an ultra violet light unit. (The sun is free but not predictable or consistent). The major outlay was an intaglio press.

My images start off as black and white negatives which are scanned. An enlarged digital positive is printed onto clear film. The resulting transparency is then exposed in contact with the photopolymer plate (in the vacuum press using ultra violet light.) During exposure the latent image is transferred to the plate which is "developed" in a water bath. The image bearing plate is subsequently inked and run through the press in contact with damp etching paper. The resulting print is left to dry for several days/weeks!

It has been a very interesting, frustrating, enlightening, time consuming but thoroughly exciting journey. I am totally hooked!
I hope that you enjoy viewing the few prints of my early attempts and that they may inspire the confidence to try the process.

The boat house image was captured with an 8x10 pinhole camera and paper negative. The others are from 35mm b&w film stock.

Regards,

Lawrie.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:01:24 PM by Lawrie »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: A Photopolymer Journey
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
WOW WOW WOW Lawrie. These are amazing - and have that gravure look/feel.

I've been fascinated by gravure since I developed my photo-man-crush on P H Emerson a few years back. I've seen a couple of his originals, and they are stupendous.

I dont have the room or resources to try it myself, as much as I want to, so for now, I'll have to live out my gravure-fantasies through your experiences. I'd love to know more. How about doing a 10 minute-ish video clip for a future podcast? Drop me a line if you are interested.
L.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
These are superb Lawrie. I for one would like this to be included in a future podcast.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »
kudos! I've seen the results of one attempt and left underwhelmed I wrote it off as just too hard to try out. seeing these I might change my mind though!
still, I can only imagine how this look in real life!
/jonas

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
Excellent results! This is the reason why I am looking around for a press for some time now...
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Lawrie, these are amazing. I don't develop or print my own work so perhaps a little of the process is lost on me, but, just reading your process excited me. I don't know what your response to Leon was, but, it would be wonderful to see the process as it happens.

A few years back I worked within the collection of the Royal Photographic Society when it was based in Bath and I had the pleasure of both seeing and handling Photogravure prints by some of the masters - wonderful stuff and these certainly have the same visual feel to them.

Great stuff.

Lawrie

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
Thank you all for the encouragement. I plan to do a little more work then I think i will give Leon a call...

Regards,

Lawrie.