Author Topic: The Yashica 635 TLR.  (Read 26413 times)

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
The Yashica 635 TLR.
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »
To say that I love this camera is an understatement. I think I love it more than my 'Blad.... is that bad?

WranglerBeach3a by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

WranglerBeach by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

And I really love it when accidents like this happen. I apparently didn't advance it enough and overlapped these images. It works for me though.

WranglerBeach2 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
Re: The Yashica 635 TLR.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »
Yashica love is pure, not bad !  :)

I have a 124G, and I think if I could have just one camera, that might be the one, because of the balance it strikes between image quality and weight.  Lack of a flapping mirror means I can hand-hold at 1-30s - not something I can do with my Mamiya RZ67.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »
Yashica love is pure, not bad !  :)

I have a 124G, and I think if I could have just one camera, that might be the one, because of the balance it strikes between image quality and weight.  Lack of a flapping mirror means I can hand-hold at 1-30s - not something I can do with my Mamiya RZ67.

I hand held a full second shot on my first roll and still got useable results!!
Christopher

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
Hi Christopher,

Very nice photos! It doesn't surprise me that someone could love a Yashica 635 even more than a Blad. As you may know, I too am a happy 635 owner. Of the 30+ vintage cameras in my collection, my 635 is the one I most often grab to capture my Newfoundland landscapes. A real beauty, and a great performer. When folks first found out about my rather unique 635, (with its rare black radial dials) I was being offered ridiculous sums for it, but this is indeed one camera that I can never see myself parting with. It's that good.

I may have posted this image in a previous thread, but in case you haven't seen it, this was my very first 635 photo. It was taken last summer in front of our oceanfront home on Fogo Island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland.

Looking forward to seeing more photos from you!

Glen

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:05:57 AM »
Kevin,

Here is a quick scan of my 1 second hand held shot. I was in a parking garage in Kemah Texas and the only light available was the coke machines and the yellow security lights. I held my breath, pushed the camera into my chest as hard as I could, and tripped the shutter as light as I could. Longest second of my life.

Triple Coke by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:16:06 AM by ChristopherCoy »
Christopher

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »
Hi Christopher,

Very nice photos! It doesn't surprise me that someone could love a Yashica 635 even more than a Blad. As you may know, I too am a happy 635 owner. Of the 30+ vintage cameras in my collection, my 635 is the one I most often grab to capture my Newfoundland landscapes. A real beauty, and a great performer. When folks first found out about my rather unique 635, (with its rare black radial dials) I was being offered ridiculous sums for it, but this is indeed one camera that I can never see myself parting with. It's that good.

I may have posted this image in a previous thread, but in case you haven't seen it, this was my very first 635 photo. It was taken last summer in front of our oceanfront home on Fogo Island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland.

Looking forward to seeing more photos from you!

Glen

Nice shot Glen! Absolutely gorgeous!

Your 635 has black dials??? I'm intrigued....
Christopher

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »
Thanks Christopher, for your kind comment; much appreciated!

Regarding the black knobs, it is believed that sometime early in 1958 just a handful of 635's (possibly 10-20) left the factory with these black radial control dials, for whatever reason. When I bought my camera, I had at first assumed that someone may have replaced the knobs at some point, but the fellow who owned it before me was the original owner, and he was adamant that no modifications had ever been done to it. Also, after experts/serious collectors looked into this (comparing the serial numbers, etc) it was determined that mine was manufactured at the precise time that these few cameras had been given the different knobs. They believe that my 635 may quite possibly be the only remaining functioning 635 with these black dials. All the more reason why I'm going to hang onto it! There is mention of my unusual camera, and photos, at the informative "Yashica TLR" website, run by Paul Sokk. (Australia) Here is the link to it:

http://www.yashicatlr.com/66Models.html

And here are a couple pics of my odd 635.

Thanks again,
  Glen

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:49:19 AM by Glen »

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »
WWWOOOWWW!!! That's flipping AWESOME!!!

So um... You wanna sell it??  ;)  ;D
Christopher

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »
looks like a fine and breezy walk. and I understand the 635 love -I took mine as my only camera when I went to paris last fall ;)
/jonas

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
The Yashica 635 TLR.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
I am a TLR over, too. I haven't tried my 635 yet, but I find the focusing knob on the same side as the shutter button somewhat problematic. I see how that was necessary with so many knobs on both sides, but I think it's faster to shoot when they are on different sides of the camera.

But of course I don't even know if it's a problem in practice.

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »
WWWOOOWWW!!! That's flipping AWESOME!!!

So um... You wanna sell it??  ;)  ;D

Hi Christopher,

Ha ha, nope... as I said, the fact that my camera is rare only makes me love it all the more. You know, crazy as it sounds, I've actually been advised to not use it at all, to keep it securely locked in a climate controlled cabinet, (Sheesh!) and to have a ton of insurance coverage. (I thought at first they were kidding!) But no, I certainly intend to use my camera as much as my misbehaving spine will allow me to get out with it. Lucky for me, it's in absolutely pristine condition, requiring nothing; it looks and functions as though made only yesterday.

Jonas, that is a lovely shot from Paris; would love to see more images from your trip.

Urban Hafner, I've never had issue with the focusing knob being on the same side as the shutter button, but of course as this is my first TLR, it's all I know. I'll be interested in hearing more about how you make out with your 635 once you get using it regularly. I'm sure you're going to love this camera as much as I do.

Kevin, I totally agree with you regarding the long exposures. I have taken great shots at a half second; something I have not been able to do with my other cameras.

I'm curious to know if any of you have the 35mm adapter kit, and if so, whether you ever shoot 35mm film with your 635? I have the adapter kit, but have yet to try it out. Might be a project for next week, if my spine allows, and I can get over this flu bug.

I just want to add that I was very happy to come across this thread, so thank-you Christopher, for posting it. For whatever reason, the 635 has continued to be a relative unknown, which really is a shame as it is such a lovely camera. Nice to see it getting some, ummm... exposure here! I think it would be nice to see more folks posting photos taken with their 635. So here's another one from me. It was taken the same evening as the shot above, near our home on Fogo Island. (I used Ilford Delta 100 Professional film, and developed it in Ilfosol 3; my first home developing since I was in high school, some 35 years ago)

Glen

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
The Yashica 635 TLR.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »
Glen,

I have all the accessories, including original leather Yashica case, manual, 35mm adapter kit, and even the Yashica branded satchel of silica gel. The only thing I don't have is the original box and receipt!

I have put the adapter in to make sure it worked, but I have yet to shoot a roll of 35mm with it. I can't bring myself to do it when I have the option for the bigger negative! LOL

Maybe that will be a weekly assignment for my 52 Roll project pretty soon.
Christopher

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
Hey Glen!
Good to have you back.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
Hey Glen!
Good to have you back.

Thanks Francois, and nice to see you too! Yeah, I've unfortunately been out of commission these past few months, thanks to my ongoing spinal issues that keep me bedridden most of the time. But I'm looking forward to getting back out there again very soon for more Fogo Island landscapes! I've been down but not completely out; have been adding more cameras to my bag, including a lovely little 35 year-old Vivitar 35ES rangefinder with its fantastic 40mm f/1.7 lens, and a 1951 Ensign Ranger 6X9 folder. And the other day my new Sony Alpha SLT-A57 DSLR arrived at my door, so some nice new toys to play with!

Christopher, that sure sounds like a nice 635 kit you have there! About the only thing I don't have is the case, but it does include a Yashica grip and cable release.

Glen
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:05:19 PM by Glen »

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
The Yashica 635 TLR.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
I need to find a cable release....
Christopher

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 11:09:13 PM »
This is becaming the Yashica weekend thread!  ;D

I'm also a proud owner of my 635, I didn't have much time to use but the very few rolls I run through I just love it!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »
I am a TLR over, too. I haven't tried my 635 yet, but I find the focusing knob on the same side as the shutter button somewhat problematic. I see how that was necessary with so many knobs on both sides, but I think it's faster to shoot when they are on different sides of the camera.

But of course I don't even know if it's a problem in practice.
funny, I think I like it better than other TLRs I've tried just because of this.

this is pretty much how I hold my yashica, letting it rest in my left hand
and my right hand on the right side, able to control both film advance and focus.
I use my thumbs for the shutter and aperture dials.

when using a yashica Mat I hate switching grips between each frame
/jonas

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
Hm. Well, I will have to try after the move. Right now most of my cameras are in boxes already.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
give it a try urban, see if it suits you. I think there's cameras with generally better or worse handling capabilities butin the end, it's up to if the camera fits you :)
Jonas, that is a lovely shot from Paris; would love to see more images from your trip.

I'm curious to know if any of you have the 35mm adapter kit

I don't have the 35mm adapter kit but I've thought about using a loose roll off 35mm in the camera, make my own mask and everything. the camera would be a decent portrait kit then I guess :)

anyhow, here's some more paris shots since you asked
/jonas

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
Very impressive images, as I expected... well done Jonas! I think this thread just may cause an increase in Yashica 635 purchases!

Glen

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »
If this thread increased the price of the 635... well the Yashica-D is very very similar but wo 35 compatibility.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:37 AM »
thanks glen!

If this thread increased the price of the 635... well the Yashica-D is very very similar but wo 35 compatibility.
if mine would break down beyond repair, that's the model I'm planning to go after. I like the dials for aperture and shutter speed.
/jonas

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
Very nice camera, and stunning pictures. Woke my TLR GAS something awful.

Regarding TLR handling, if none of the above seem to agree with you, look up the Kalloflex. It has crank film wind, and a co-centric focusing knob on the photographers right. Shutter release on the lower left. 
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »
I've never seen something like that...
Francois

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »
I guess you can add me to the list of people using his Yashica Mat (LM) while the Hasselblad sits.  It's great at night, even without a tripod.  This one was at 1/10 sec and turned out better than I had expected, but I won't be trying 1 second  :-)

My Yashica has focus and shutter on opposite sides of the camera, btw, making me wonder why the change.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:32:04 PM by Jeff Warden »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
The Yashica 635 TLR.
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
Wow. That Kalloflex looks interesting Eirik. And just like you I have a problem with TLRs. 3 are already in my possession :) Still working on. Mamiya Csomething and maybe a Flexaret?

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 10:54:37 PM »
Wow. That Kalloflex looks interesting Eirik. And just like you I have a problem with TLRs. 3 are already in my possession :) Still working on. Mamiya Csomething and maybe a Flexaret?

I've had a C-33 in the past, and while I absolutely loved it and will own another some day... Trying to handle a C-33 is like trying to carry a Sherman tank compared to the 635.
Christopher

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 05:19:15 AM »
I have three TLR's all yashica. Yashicamat with 80mm Lumaxar, and a Yashica-mat 124G. Just bought a Yashica D... because the 124G which was working great is having lots of small issues even after a CLA, the yashicamat focus knob is not too good. Because of these issues have not been shooting much. Had a Mamiya C330f, but decided to wait for a better example.
tk

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »
My Yashica has focus and shutter on opposite sides of the camera, btw, making me wonder why the change.
The yashicamat LM is a higher spec metered model with rollei type crank advance design. while the slightly older D/635 (regular/dlx) body is based on the yashicaflex AS. which also made 35mm capability easier as it requires a separate knob on the left.
tk

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 07:49:16 AM »
You can't go wrong with a Flexaret either. I've a Va and it performs very well. You of course have the more rudimentary aperture and speed adjustments a la the earlier Yashicas et el, but the focusing arm underneath the taking lens is such a good feature Minolta copied it on the Autocord. The Belar lens is a Tessar copy and works very well. As is the Prominar on the Kalloflex, also very good.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
autocord, now there's an slr with a stunner for a lens! -tack sharp :)

that Kalloflex looks interesting~
talking about looks, I wouldn't mind having a fujicaflex around the house ;)
it's 2.8 too!  :o
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
I'd settle for just the Fujicaflex plate :)
The font is stunning </graphic design fan mode off>
Francois

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
Boy, a beaut indeed. And no doubt a good lens too. I have yet to experience a poor Fujinon lens. Makes me want to give up 35mm altogether and go all out TLR. Now there is a thought ;)
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »
the fujicaflex has a single knob to control focusing and winding the film. Shutter button is removable to the left or right side.
tk

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
I'm going to have to try a one-second exposure now !

I remember about 30 years ago, my father had a 635 and for some reason there was a problem loading 120 film. I was so ignorant of photography, I just thought that if he could load 35mm film with the adapter, there was no problem !

I was wondering how Yashica owners with cases use the cases ? With my 124G, I have the full case, but leave off the top part as it's just too unwieldy (often the camera will be inside another camera bag, giving more protection.) I like to leave the bottom half of the case on the camera, but the problem is that prevents a tripod being attached.

I'm thinking about drilling the bottom of the case so that the tripod socket is exposed - has anybody else done this, or do case designs of other models already expose the tripod socket ?

My latest Yashicamat shots are here:

http://kevinthephotographer.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/a-walk-in-the-woods-with-snow-and-a-yashicamat/

Kevin

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
That Fujicaflex is amazing!

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
I haven't had my 635 in its case since I bought the camera. Just too awkward for me... and besides, the camera is far too pretty to cover up!

Glen

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
I've had two Yashica TLRs, neither worked particularly well. Shame, because I would like to have a nice one! I've had a Rolleicord and Rolleiflex, but I mostly stick to my Bronica S2 and C SLRs these days. I would like a nice TLR again, though.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Info Red

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Very impressive images, as I expected... well done Jonas! I think this thread just may cause an increase in Yashica 635 purchases!

Glen

I just happened to see a 635 in an antique store yesterday, with the 35mm adaptor, case, etc.  I had a brief moment to check it out, and had high hopes for picking it up at a reasonable price - $95.00 US - but the shutter release doesn't do anything!  I was disappointed, since the price seemed pretty fair.  When I got home last night I checked on the auction site, and found that Glen's prediction has come true!  They are now listed in the $250-$400 range! Maybe I need to go back and snatch that one up!  Does anyone think the shutter issue is a simple fix, or would it cost me tons of money to get it operational again?

I didn't get to inspect the lenses too much regarding haze, scratches, fungus, etc. but the rest of it seemed in pretty good shape.

As an aside, the same seller also had 2 DeVry bakelite 35mm cameras - circa 1928 or so - for sale as well.  I had never seen one, and they were interesting gizmos!

Mark

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »

I just happened to see a 635 in an antique store yesterday, with the 35mm adaptor, case, etc.  I had a brief moment to check it out, and had high hopes for picking it up at a reasonable price - $95.00 US - but the shutter release doesn't do anything!  I was disappointed, since the price seemed pretty fair.  When I got home last night I checked on the auction site, and found that Glen's prediction has come true!  They are now listed in the $250-$400 range! Maybe I need to go back and snatch that one up!  Does anyone think the shutter issue is a simple fix, or would it cost me tons of money to get it operational again?

I didn't get to inspect the lenses too much regarding haze, scratches, fungus, etc. but the rest of it seemed in pretty good shape.

Just for the record... http://www.markhama.com/ seems to be the US Yashica "go to" guy for repairs.

If I were you, I would go back to the antique store, show them that the camera is inoperable and offer them $30/$40/$50 for it - and then  send it to Mark Hama for repairs.

ETA: You might try calling Mr. Hama directly and asking him. I emailed him about a CLA quote the other day and he got back to me within a few days.
Christopher

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Or you can buy this one for $149us with free shipping... with a return policy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121052238166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Christopher

Info Red

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I had considered offering $30 or $40, just to see what might happen, but the shop is about 30 miles from me so I won't be able to get down there 'til maybe Sunday.  In the meantime I'll keep my eye on the Ebay auction!  One way or the other I'll end up with a clean 635 somewhere down the road!

m

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
Hi Mark,

Personally, I'd likely be hesitant to buy the one from the posted link. I have been following that seller's listings forever, and I believe they sometimes use stock photos, and would not accurately represent the condition of the camera. I could be wrong, but I sometimes see what appear to me to be identical photos used over and over in their listings.

I agree that it would be advantageous to offer a reduced amount for the one you saw in the antique shop, and hire Mr. Hama to make it ship-shape for you. Even if you had to pay the entire $95... with Mr. Hama's CLA figured into it the equation, you would still have an affordable Yashica 635 in good working order. And I think it's a safe bet that it will quickly become your favorite camera!

Let us know how you make out!

Glen

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
The Yashica 635 TLR.
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »
How many 635 auctions do you watch Glen? I wanna know who my bidding competition is!! LOL
Christopher

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
No worries Christopher... I have no plans to buy a second 635; I just like to look. Mind you, there's currently a gorgeous Yashica 24 listed which looks like it's never even been out of the box. hmmmm...

Glen

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 03:15:19 AM »
No worries Christopher... I have no plans to buy a second 635; I just like to look. Mind you, there's currently a gorgeous Yashica 24 listed which looks like it's never even been out of the box. hmmmm...

Glen

And you don't post an item number???  >:(  :D
Christopher

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »
yashica 24 can take 120 film some people dont know that. The 24 tend to have a meter button by the focus knob. most even have start markings for 120 in the film chamber. At the end of the 12 exposure, remember to take some blank exposures to advance the film into the take up spool as it does not wind freely as it thinks it is longer 220 film.
tk

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Sorry Christopher; here's the Yashica 24 that I'm drooling over at the moment:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/370744730827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And here's an equality lovely Yashica Mat 124G:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261161880262?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Glen

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
The Yashica 635 TLR.
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
Damn that exchange rate!! That'd be $250usd for me!
Christopher