Author Topic: McCullin film  (Read 2621 times)

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
McCullin film
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »
Saw the trailer for this last night at the cinema (I was there to watch Chasing Ice, another amazing film about climate change and lots of stunning time-lapse photography by James Balog) - it looks really great http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/nov/26/mccullin-watch-the-trailer-video

General release 1 Jan 2013  8)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: McCullin film
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
That looks amazing. I first got really interested in photography through the work of Don McCullin, and Eamonn McCabe, in the Guardian & Observer newspapers, he's remained a real inspiration so that'll be a must for me.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
That looks amazing. I first got really interested in photography through the work of Don McCullin, and Eamonn McCabe, in the Guardian & Observer newspapers, he's remained a real inspiration so that'll be a must for me.

I can;t wait to see it - its showing at Curzon Soho from Boxing Day so i'm going to go the day after seeing as i'm off work - very comfy seats in that cinema  8) http://www.curzoncinemas.com/films/details/1465/mccullin/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
Looks brilliant. I was lucky enough to meet him several years ago and he's been both a hero of mine and one of my favourite photographers ever since. I must get a copy of his book India soon - and I will definitely be seeing this film. Thanks for posting Suzy.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
Looks brilliant. I was lucky enough to meet him several years ago and he's been both a hero of mine and one of my favourite photographers ever since. I must get a copy of his book India soon - and I will definitely be seeing this film. Thanks for posting Suzy.

I wish I couldve met him when he did the Q&A at a preview screening but i missed it.. still the film looks ace  8)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »
I appreciate he's probably not shooting film now but it's amazing to see Don McCullin has gone to Syria at 75! He was interviewed on the radio and said he found it really hard moving around in body armour etc. I hope he doesn't decide to do it again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20710432

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
I just hope he gets his story and comes back safe.

MattB

• 35mm
  • How do you do?. Im Matt.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »
That film looks really interesting. Can't wait to see all of his extremely powerful photos.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 09:25:29 AM »
Lara and I are booked to see the 7pm showing on 27th December. Anyone going - or likely to be in vicinity for a festive pint around 6pm, please PM me.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
RE: McCullin film
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 09:42:46 AM »
I'm not going to be back in  London until the 28th I'm afraid, Paul....otherwise I would definitely have let you buy me a drink :)Suzi: Great spot; thanks for the tip.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »
Nice spot, Suzi. Let's hope that it comes to a cinema near me at some stage!

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
Lara and I are booked to see the 7pm showing on 27th December. Anyone going - or likely to be in vicinity for a festive pint around 6pm, please PM me.

Ive got a ticket for the early afternoon screening! 

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »

Just checked im at the 2.35pm showing.. Thats a shame..

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
I'm at work until 5pm, so the 7pm showing is the only one I can make and still get to Liverpool Street for the train back to "The Land that Time Forgot" (East Anglia).

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 01:11:47 AM »
Absolutely stormingly good film, IMO.

Very little to do with photography per-se - more about Don McCullin who is, without question one of the maddest, bravest and most humane individuals I've ever had the privilege to both meet and watch a documentary about. How his editor at the Sunday Times received a knighthood whereas he gets just a CBE is beyond me. Then that tool, Andrew Neill takes over as editor after Rupert bloody Murdoch buys the paper and, all of a sudden, Don McCullin's out of favour as he might just show British soldiers getting shot up in the Falklands smacks of Thatcher-fuelled paranoia to me. So much for a free press.

Anyone interested in photojournalism MUST see this film. If you're in the UK or Ireland, checkout "Curzononline". If you're not, make sure you source a DVD when it becomes available.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »
Anyone interested in photojournalism MUST see this film.
said LD. So I booked it for tomorrow!

website

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »
Yep. Everything LD said. I was rivetted to the screen. What a fascinating man and life story. A must see.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
It will be available online from Curzon on Demand from 1 January.  I will download it then.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »
It will be available online from Curzon on Demand from 1 January.  I will download it then.

Hi Charles. Do you happen to know....when you download it, do you get to keep it or is it like Sky Films "on demand" and disappear after a day or two???

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »

Hi Charles. Do you happen to know....when you download it, do you get to keep it or is it like Sky Films "on demand" and disappear after a day or two???

From what I could gather you have 7 days to view it.  Never used Curzon on demand (or indeed any interweb streaming device) so can't make any comment as to how good the quality is.