Author Topic: Camera you can't let go of...  (Read 18056 times)

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
Camera you can't let go of...
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »
I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 cameras or so. But there are about 6 that I probably couldn't let go of, and there's at least two that you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands, and that's only if they wont let me be buried with them. It's my Hasselblad 500cm, and my newly acquired Yashica 635. I'm not saying I'd saying I'd let another person die, but if you and my cameras were on a boat and fell off, lets just say I hope you know how to swim 'cause I'm diving in for the cameras first.

I really, really would like to trim down the herd and only keep those cameras that I truly actually put a finger on and trip the shutter once in a while, but I nearly get anxiety every time I think about it. So there they sit, in my display cabinet, praying for fresh air.

How many cameras do you own, and if you were on a boat, which ones would you be diving in to save?
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Camera you can't let go of...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
I guess I have 15-20 cameras, but, if backed into a corner I'd rescue the Hasselblad SWC/M. Hasselbald 501CM and my trusty old Holga. The Hasselblad FlexBody may have to save itself - our relationship isn't what it could be and the damn Linhof, well, it's just too heavy!

I have some trimming down to do

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
I've probably about 30 cameras too (most of them made from plastic) and every year I tell myself I'm going to sell the ones I don't use on ebay.  Last year I sold one, a Yashica T4 that I bought on a whim and shot one roll of film.  Next year, I'm going to have a clear out! 

I would probably save my my Holgas or my Hasselbald 503 CX before a fellow Filmwaster! ??? ;)  I hardly ever use my Hassy but I took some portraits of my father for his 80th early this year. and when I saw the results I remembered what a superb camera it is so I could not bear to part with it. Haven't used it since!

I also have a Nikon F3 I am fond of, haven't used it in 7 or 8 years though ......

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I hardly ever use my Hassy .....

Me either, but I liken it to a classic luxury sedan... perhaps a Rolls or a Bentley. You really only have to drive those once a year to remind you of the reasons you allow them to take up room in the garage.
Christopher

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
I hardly ever use my Hassy .....

Me either, but I liken it to a classic luxury sedan... perhaps a Rolls or a Bentley. You really only have to drive those once a year to remind you of the reasons you allow them to take up room in the garage.

Agreed.  Some things are so good that it would be foolish to part with them.  I really should do more with it.

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »
this topic comes back up every few years, so it's fun to revisit my "herd" and think about what I'd save and what would have to sink.
Here goes:
I own about 20-25 cameras and that doesn't include the assortment of homemade pinhole tins, boxes and solargraph cameras I've made.

My homebuilt 4 x 5 wooden pinhole camera, (and call the Palomino) I would not save because it would float, but I would rescue it after I dove into the water to grab my Pentax K1000.
I'd also save my Mamiya 6, but only because I want to sell it next year and need it to be in good condition.
I'd also save my Nikon F2 just because my husband gave it to me. Oh and then there's my late mother's XA- I'd save it too.
The rest I'd have to let sink to the bottom of the deep blue sea and hopefully they'd make nice fish habitat....

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:31:53 PM »
This

L.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »
I think the easy way to answer is to throw them all overboard and figure out which one you'd dive towards first. :)

So, my Rollei 35S, then maybe my KMZ Iskra? Fortunately the Polaroid would float. :)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
Probably my home built creations, in part because there aren't any buyers for things like that. Otherwise I would keep the Leica M4-2 and the Flexaret. Dependable cameras both, and work in the cold, a fact I need to consider here up north.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »
I have a couple of cameras that would float so I don't really need to worry about those.  And the Leica and Rolleiflex would probably be around my neck anyway, and we'd be happy enough in a lifevest.

That leaves my 31mm Pentax Limited f1.8 lens, currently sitting on a camera that cost a tenner.  The bodies are two-a-penny, but that lens is just too good to lose.   :)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »
I've went down from something over 30 to almost 20 this summer/autumn but now after a wuick head count I think I'm back at 29.

I'd dive for my bronica c and sx-70 sonar, the second partly because it was a gift, then I'd pick up my holga on the way up as I find it floating somewhere ;)

hm... it seems I'm letting all my 35mm cameras go to the bottom? the minolta xd is a high contender though!
/jonas

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »
In my case it will be the cameras that I use the most, the Polaroid 195 and the Rolleiflex 2.8e.. which on the other hand are naturally the cameras I feel more comfortable using and with which I have produced my favourite shots  :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:38:09 AM by calbisu »

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
Out of the umpteen camera's I own it would be the Chamonix (same as Leon's), Agfa Super Isolette, Bronica SQAi and last but not least my Zero 2000! Davy Jones can have my digital stuff!  ;)

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »
For me it would be the Yashica Mat. The lens isn't in the best shape but I took wonderful pictures with it and it was my first "real" medium format camera.

What's planned for 2013: The 52 rolls project by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
Oh, yes, the second part of the question ... I've been through a reductive process this last 18 months and cleared out my umpteen cameras to only a few old faithfulls:

• Chamonix 045N-2 (the BEST)
  • Bronnie SQAi (plus SQA spare body)
  • Horseman 985
  • Holga
  • Harman Titan

That's all folks. I don't miss 35mm at all. DArn fiddly little negatives.
L.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
come on, diving in after a holga? they are 25 bucks.

i have 8 cameras including 2 holgas.

the only one I would miss is the Mamiya 645 [kit]
purely because it took soooo long to gather and build,
I really dont want to do it again.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »

Ahh - but a new one wouldn't be MY one. I hate the new holga lenses, so I keep my lens from my first holga bought 10 yrs ago, and put it on each new holgs that I buy. So, maybe its not the holga that I'd want to save, but I would dive in after the lens.
L.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

Depends how tight fisted you are!! And who the other person is! ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »
I haven't got as much gear as some of you but I've got more than I can use realistically. So I'm having a clear out.

I didn't think I could let go of my Rolleiflex - but I have done. I'm also looking to sell my Leica M6TTL. As beautiful a camera and lens system as it is, I'm more of an SLR fan. However, I made - and will honour - a promise to Matt (Choppert) from whom I bought the Leica, that he'd have first refusal if I sell it. If he passes on this, I'll be posing details on the sales board.

My Olympus kit will also be going, as will a couple of lens sets (80mm and 65mm) I have for Mamiya C3, 33, 330 series. I haven't decided what I'm doing with my 5x4 yet but I'm no longer sure if I want to go bigger than MF. I might see if I can get a 6x9 back for a Wista as I like the idea of the movements available on LF gear.

The cameras that I intend to keep and not let go are:

- Hasselblad 500c/m
- Mamiya 7 (I know it's a rangefinder but it's not for "street" and the lenses are stunningly good)
- Nikon F3

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:44:22 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
you know, emotional attachment<3  ;D
/jonas

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »

Ahh - but a new one wouldn't be MY one. I hate the new holga lenses, so I keep my lens from my first holga bought 10 yrs ago, and put it on each new holgs that I buy. So, maybe its not the holga that I'd want to save, but I would dive in after the lens.

I wish I could find an original Holga from back in the day. I had a purple Hollywood series that I bought a year or two ago and used it exactly twice - Once for a test roll, and once for a roll on Bourbon Street. I sold it after that.
Christopher

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
for sentimental reasons, my Olympus Trip 35. I inherited it after my grandfather passed away. The lens is starting to wobble so I decided to not use it anymore but it's seriously a great camera.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
In a way, my recently aqcuired Crown Graphic is probably the most versatile and compact camera I own. I can shoot 4x5, 120, polaroid and wet plates and for that reason it'll be really hard to let go!

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
I recently sold everything I no longer use relatively frequently... I believe there is a difference between collecting and hording and I'm down to about 10 cameras I think...

but the ones I would struggle to let go the most are my Polaroid 195, SX-70 and Bronica S2. I have also just had my shutter for my converted Polaroid 110b CLA'd so once I've had that a while I am sure it'll be added to the list.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Camera you can't let go of...
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »
Sadly I would probably let my pristine OM2N float to the bottom and scoop up my older, battle-worn OM2 as it had been a faithful recipient of abuse for over 30 years (I feel bad that I have not given it a CLA in decades). With the second hand I would try to scoop up a Pentax auto 110.

I need more floating cameras and do not wish to divert this thread but when y'all are talking about the old holgas, what identifying tips can you give a future holga owner? Is a holga identified as a 120s on 'old holga' that would prompt the likes if Leon to dive in?
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »
I personally would save my trusty old Nikon F-90x. We haven't been through as much stuff than my F-601... but it's so much nicer in many ways.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
I have way too much 35mm gear, given that I feel like Leon about it and haven't shot a frame in probably 6 years. F4, F5, Leica M2, XA2, Minox - man, I need to sort myself out!

mobilene

• 35mm
    • Down the Road
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
I have about 75 cameras. I like to find simple, inexpensive cameras that perform better than you'd expect. So really, any of my cameras is easily and inexpensively (<= $100) replaceable.  So I wouldn't dive after any of them.

And I did lose all my cameras once. I had more than 100 in my first collection that didn't survive my divorce!  :-(  That experience taught me that stuff is just stuff. 

But I'm especially fond of my Pentax ME, my Canonet QL17 G-III, and my silly old Argus A-Four.  My Agfa Clack, my Olympus XA, and my Kodak Monitor Special are recent acquisitions that contend for that inner circle.

-Jim
Jim Grey
Indianapolis

http://blog.jimgrey.net

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
I have way too much 35mm gear, given that I feel like Leon about it and haven't shot a frame in probably 6 years. F4, F5, Leica M2, XA2, Minox - man, I need to sort myself out!

I'd be happy to give that F5 a home. My F100 needs a big brother to look up to.
Christopher

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
Well, in last year or so I let go many cameras - trying to find what I like to use and keeping that - putting the rest of the money into consumables / darkroom / presentation tools (like the Seal dry mount press I was fortunate to find and buy). Now I am just with my Sinar monorail, a Rolleicord, the Pentacon Six and eagerly awaiting the Bronica SQ I traded for a Leica body (sic!) (or maybe sick?)..
I also haven't shot a piece of 35mm this whole year maybe, now I have no camera for it, but from time to time I keep returning to the idea of buying one SLR with a lens or two (yeay, those F100 prices are so tempting) just for the sake of having a camera that I can hang on my shoulder when going for a walk....
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »
I know this will shock all those that know me....

you wouldn't have guessed?
 ;)
Mark Antony
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
I'm going to downsize my collection a bit next year, I have far too many. I will just keep my absolute faves my Hasselblad, my Great Wall, my Brownie converted for wet plate and my Kodak Duaflex, the Baby Brownie, my Hawkeye, my new Yashica from Urban looks sweet too.

I'll downsize and then plan to treat myself to a LF camera next year and then that's my lot, I think  8)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
The collection got up to around 60 at one point, but that figure was inflated by my unofficial position as the Worldwide distributor of Coronet Commanders and Coronet 4x4 Mk II of which I had about 10 at any one point. I've gotten rid of quite a few recently though and I'm down to about 30. I only use a handful of cameras over the course of a year at the moment, but that's because I'm only using instant film due to time constraints.

Currently using:
  • Bronica S2A with Pola back (thanks to Chalky and Gregor!)
  • Tachihara 4x5 field camera with various Pola/Fuji backs
  • Polaroid Land Camera 360
  • Polaroid Land Camera 335
On top of that I love my 35mm Pentax K-mount bits and pieces, my Bronica SQA, the Coronets (natch!) and various old cranky cameras, most of which I'll never use again.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »

you wouldn't have guessed?
 ;)
Mark Antony

Up until about three weeks ago, the only TLR I had ever used was a Mamiya C33. I had one in high school, and then lost it somewhere in a move in the early 2000's. I bought another one in 2011 and had it for about three months before selling it for my Hasselblad.

About three weeks ago I happened upon a Yashica 635 with original case, manual, accessories, and even the original Yashica branded satchel of silica gel! It was being sold locally through eBay, and when no one bid on it, I drove over and handed the guy a $100 bill for it.

I finally got to shoot two rolls with it a week ago (see image in the split grade printing thread), and let me tell you... I. LOVE. THAT. THING! The size of it makes it incredibly easy to handle, I love the fact that I can shoot dual formats, and the winding/focusing mechanisms are very intuitive for me. It's just a very fun little camera to shoot!

So I know that if I love that as much as I do, I wonder how much I would love a Rollei 2.8? The Yashi is only 3.5, but I would love that extra 2/3 of a stop!
Christopher

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
Embarrassed to admit it but my 35mm half frame cameras are my favorites. For 6X6 I like the super compact size of my Zeiss Nettar, slow lens and limited shutter speed range not withstanding. Two years ago, as a retirement present to myself, I bought a camera I had always wanted, a Leica M4-2. Now, strangely, although I play with it from time to time, I haven't taken it out on any planned photo mission.

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
Only camera I can see myself doing anything drastic for is my Nikon FE2. It was my first real camera, passed down to me from my dad. I learned most of what I know about taking photos on that thing.
Here's a self portrait back when I was ~15 or so:

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
for 35mm, my Oly XA is the front runner followed closely by my leica IIIa. Both of which pain me to stop shooting with.

SX-70's have always had this allure for me. I have a model 2, model 3 and a newly acquired model 1 which i promptly sent out for service. Hopefully i can get a reliable working model soon. Even the ones that arent reliable im constantly opening, fiddling, and taking fake shots with. I literally cant put them down.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

dmteter

• 35mm
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 03:13:50 AM »
I'd grab my negatives and not worry about any of the cameras.

Well, except for the F6.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 08:12:18 PM »
Mamiya 6 with 50mm lens.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
I`m lost when it comes to gear. The smell, the feel, the sound - just love it.
Guess I have about 30-40 cameras now and I kind of love every one of them. All used quite regularly and I feel bad not letting them out on the street. If I had to - right now: the black paint M4, pola 195, Super Ikonta and Mju ii (and contax T3 + ME super) would be around my neck. Tomorrow would probably be a different story.  I just love gear.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Offertonhatter

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
It is a tough one, as I am making a name for myself for corporate, portrait and Theatre photography, so the DSLR HAS to stay.
But this is a film forum, so ignoring the DSLR arena, and for this I will call them computers instead of cameras (hopefully get away with not getting rid of them), then which Film camera would I keep?
Much as I love my little and wonderful Olympus Trip. It would have to be my favourite film camera of all, the Bronica ETRS, especially that I have now worked out how to use the wonderful beast.  :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:00:57 PM by Offertonhatter »
The Best camera, is the one in your hand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/offertonhatter

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »
Hi Iain.

I know what you mean but DSLRs are transient, at best. They stay "for a while" until we decide they aren't as good as the next generation, or we want more megapixels, or we want better low light capability or we just get bored with them. They dumb down but require a degree in quantum mechanics to set up. They've been around since 2002 and yet not one has been (nor will ever be) regarded as a "classic". No craftsman ever built one and even those photographers who made their reputations using film but who now use digital regard them purely as a commercial necessity. They are useful tools - convenient, quick and striving for "perfection" (whatever that is) but like an over-promising advertisement for an under-achieving product, they always fail to deliver quite what you want.

........and I have a DSLR and enjoy using it. But give me film any day of the week  ;)

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
I'm a firm believer in there's-no-such-thing-as-too-many-cameras.  That being said, I have whittled down and re-loaded many times over the past decade, sometimes buying models similar to those I'd sold in the past, and then re-selling those because I'd remembered suddenly why I'd sold them in the first place.

I'm going to be taking part in Urban Hafner's 52rolls project in 2013, and my plan is to shoot a different box camera each week, and I'd stated at his site and at flickr that I wasn't entirely aware of how many weeks that plan would last.  I have since tallied up all my box cams, and I can keep it up for 26 weeks before I have to shift to another type of camera.  If I count my mock-TLRs, I could easily go 29 weeks.

All of this doesn't quite answer the question posed by the OP, does it, so here goes:

[the editors are saddened to report that he tried to grab too many cameras, and sank like a stone along with them]
Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
I'm going to be taking part in Urban Hafner's 52rolls project in 2013, and my plan is to shoot a different box camera each week, and I'd stated at his site and at flickr that I wasn't entirely aware of how many weeks that plan would last.  I have since tallied up all my box cams, and I can keep it up for 26 weeks before I have to shift to another type of camera.  If I count my mock-TLRs, I could easily go 29 weeks.

Shameless plug: He's talking about http://52rolls.net  ;D

Urban

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 04:44:59 AM »
Hi Iain.

I know what you mean but DSLRs are transient, at best. They stay "for a while" until we decide they aren't as good as the next generation, or we want more megapixels, or we want better low light capability or we just get bored with them. They dumb down but require a degree in quantum mechanics to set up. They've been around since 2002 and yet not one has been (nor will ever be) regarded as a "classic". No craftsman ever built one and even those photographers who made their reputations using film but who now use digital regard them purely as a commercial necessity. They are useful tools - convenient, quick and striving for "perfection" (whatever that is) but like an over-promising advertisement for an under-achieving product, they always fail to deliver quite what you want.

........and I have a DSLR and enjoy using it. But give me film any day of the week  ;)

Nicely stated!
Christopher

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 04:50:14 AM »
I'm a firm believer in there's-no-such-thing-as-too-many-cameras.  That being said, I have whittled down and re-loaded many times over the past decade, sometimes buying models similar to those I'd sold in the past, and then re-selling those because I'd remembered suddenly why I'd sold them in the first place.

All of this doesn't quite answer the question posed by the OP, does it, so here goes:

[the editors are saddened to report that he tried to grab too many cameras, and sank like a stone along with them]

I WANTED TO DO A 52 ROLLS PROJECT TOO!! I've been planning it for a few weeks now, but sadly I dont have a single thing written down, except for the fact that I need to order film. I've got 4 rolls to get me going.

And on the matter of selling and re-buying - I have an original Nikon FM with the MD12 grip, and the 50mm and 28mm series E lenses. I keep wanting to sell it, because it NEVER gets used, I mean never. But I can't bring myself to sell it, simply because its just so damned pretty. And I'm petrified that if I DO sell it, I could never replace it with one in the same condition.
Christopher

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »
I've not counted the number of camera I have (more than 20) but for me it would have to be my Pentax ME Super and Bronica ETRSi, both on account of the range awesome lenses I have for both, and the ones that get consistently used...