Author Topic: Your plans for 2013  (Read 19390 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Your plans for 2013
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:49 AM »
ohyeah, totally forgot: getting into toning prints next year!! a good friend is giving me a bit of potassium ferricyanide to try :D (for bleaching, I've got some kodak brown toner already)

btw, anyone know a good dealer for that in europe?
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
ohyeah, totally forgot: getting into toning prints next year!! a good friend is giving me a bit of potassium ferricyanide to try :D (for bleaching, I've got some kodak brown toner already)

You could do worse than try Silverprint in London and Ag Photographic in Birmingham.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »

You could do worse than try Silverprint in London and Ag Photographic in Birmingham.
oh, great! silverprint had it. I only found farmers reducer at Ag. though I'm wondering; could I use that too?
/jonas

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
I need to finish this damned PhD next year ...

I'm starting one this year, pending funding .... wondering if it really is a good idea given that I still havent finished my masters yet ... :o
Exciting! My only advice is to get into the habit of writing all the time. That way you won't find yourself staring down both barrels of the thesis (like me, now).

I don't think any of us really has formally studied anything relating to photography!
If anyone needs to write a land parceling bylaw, feel free to ask  ;D
Mine is tangentially to do with photography (the techy, mouth-breathing, digital end of it)- I'm looking at hyper-spectral imaging for detecting archaeology using variations in the crop canopy, and comparing that to normal (mostly digital) aerial photography.

Film photography is a welcome respite from lots of geometry and writing code to extract foliar properties from reflectance spectra...

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
Actually I did study Photography.

Me too  8)

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »
Plenty of things life-wise, but photography-wise:

* take a course in making prints
* make some prints
* don't buy any more damn cameras (mm-hmm, well, there has to be one resolution in there that is obviously going to get broken)

I think the first two are achievable, though maybe not by the time I've paid my tax and credit card bill, ho hum.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 03:17:20 PM »

oh, great! silverprint had it. I only found farmers reducer at Ag. though I'm wondering; could I use that too?
Farmer's reducer is hypo and potassium ferricyanide in solution that you mix just before use (an A-B type chemical). It's very handy for reducing density in prints, playing with contrast, retouching prints, whitening teeth (in portraits, not on people ;) )... and so on. I have a book with an entire chapter devoted to the subject!
When you use it, you keep some water next to the print to remove the chemical. Some of the best images of all time were fixed using Farmer's reducer.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Emma

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
I have one photography-related goal: learn to develop film. I'm not sure how to afford the start-up costs, nor where I would put all of the chemicals, nor how I will find time around A-levels, but it's happening! I'm begging my photography student friends to let me accompany them to the dark room to have a look around and they'll teach me. I'm definately still in the enthusiastic novice stage of film photography...

Otherwise, I want to find work experience and pass exams. How very dull.
twitter: @effy_yeomans

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 09:11:04 PM »
I have one photography-related goal: learn to develop film. I'm not sure how to afford the start-up costs, nor where I would put all of the chemicals, nor how I will find time around A-levels, but it's happening! I'm begging my photography student friends to let me accompany them to the dark room to have a look around and they'll teach me. I'm definately still in the enthusiastic novice stage of film photography...

Otherwise, I want to find work experience and pass exams. How very dull.

Hi Emma.

Youtube can, as you probably know, is a mixed bag of good, bad, useful and pointless. Have a look at the film developing part of this link (and the others as well) as it should be a good introduction into the craft of film development. Lots of people on here to ask as well - but the "show" aspect of the Youtube might also help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/alternativecamera?feature=watch

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
Just ask around. There might be someone with a spare tank that is willing to let go of it.
(hint: just ask nicely on the forum. We had one on the share the love thread. Maybe someone would be nice enough to put another one there.)
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
I'm gonna get me one of THESE
Drying film with a salad spinner
/jonas

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
That really is one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long while.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
ha - thats a good idea ?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
How about one of those new Dyson hand dryers? I bet they'd get water off negs pretty sharpish.... 8)

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
ha - thats a good idea ?

I think it is- the film's not going to come to much harm on the reel- but I'd probably not have it rattling around loose like he does- maybe glue a bit of pipe in to hold the reels in place? Certainly better that squeegeeing anyway.

[

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »
Suzi - that would be fantastic, a mini transatlantic meet up, that would ensure Diane made the trip!  ;)

Filmwasters NYC!

Meet-up!  I'll be there! (if I haven't moved to the DR)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
I'm gonna get me one of THESE
Actually, I use a method that is close to this... but not quite.
You hold on to the reel solidly and you whip your arm. The turn the reel a bit and repeat. This gets most of the water out too. It splashes water everywhere but it's not on the film anymore.
Francois

CamerAsian

• privatize the profit, nationalize the debt
    • Prints of Darkness
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
I haven't been here for a while. I've recently started a WP blog on my darkroom experiences and hope it will encourage me to commit myself in 2013 to "total darkroom immersion" and therefore post more on the blog. A virtuous circle. You can view here: http://positiveimageblog.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:00:44 PM by CamerAsian »