Author Topic: A new ISO 25 speed film to replace Efke 25?  (Read 5791 times)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
A new ISO 25 speed film to replace Efke 25?
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:07:48 AM »
Did anyone else see this from Freestyle?

"With the closure of the Fotokemika factory in Croatia, we have received many calls and emails inquiring as to what choices are available for slow speed sheet film besides Ilford Pan F. Adox CMS 20 II will be available in sheet film sizes. In addition, Adox and Rollei are working on a new 25 ISO film available in all popular formats including 35mm, 120 and sheet film sizes. We will keep you updated as to the availability of these films."

astrobeck

Re: A new ISO 25 speed film to replace Efke 25?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:52:30 AM »
I did, and now I can't wait to see what comes of it!
 8)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
I had some Adox 50 passed on from Mcduff. Sadly negs were extremly thin. I used the very last of my Xtol and there was quite a bit of air in the container as my container couldnt squish down far enough. I think the developer may have died a little. Great sharpness though, and even with some tweaking in PS the film looked like if it were fully developed that it would have yielded some promising negatives.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »
As far I could try I quite enjoy working with Adox both 120 and 4x5... it's a more delicate film to hand though.

There was a thread no long ago about Ekfe just being a rebranded Adox film...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
Adox is also re-branded under the name BlueFire. It has a special developer which is supposed to give incredibly fine grain.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
Well, it's not 35mm or roll film, but if you shoot sheet film of ANY size, get your hands on Wephota NP15 - 25ASA film made in Germany according to old ORWO formulae. Many sites and forums are full of nonsense that it is rebranded Adox but it isn't, I spoke with the owner/manager recently - it is and at still will be produced in Germany by a company which mainly produces cine-film and also makes a run of various LF and ULF sizes of photographic film.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:58:02 AM »
Andrej, is that still marketed by (I think) Photoimpex?  Wephota at all speeds is/was good stuff and I'd like some in 4x5.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »
Andrej, is that still marketed by (I think) Photoimpex?  Wephota at all speeds is/was good stuff and I'd like some in 4x5.

Not sure about Fotoimpex at the moment, I know that lumiere-shop.de (or something like that) stocks it, but you get the best deal if you order it directly from Banse und Grohman (e.g. wephota).

Mab

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
Adox or Rollei (Maco) do not manufacture film by themselves. The possible new ISO 25 film would come from some of the few remaining film manufacturers. Foma would be the first suspect in my books. So I'd expect something like Foma Classic 100 but a bit slower rebranded as Rollei 25 or Adox 25.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »
Mab, I would not say that..
Firstly, I am almost sure Adox DOES have coating facility, they are making an emulsion or two in Germany right now (e.g. the new Silvermax that was introduced this year on the Photokina) and they are making papers as well ( some of the brilliant Adox papers or google the process of reviving the FOrte Polywarmtone...) I could imagine that among their investments they could  attempt a remake of some classic emulsion, or indeed use some of already made e.g. by Filmotec.
Honestly I don't believe Foma would made such a heavy investment in R&D to make a new emulsion, especially one they didn't manufacutre in recent history...

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
A new ISO 25 speed film to replace Efke 25?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »
On a side note. Do folks use a hardening fixer with these old school films with delicate emulsions? I use ilford fixer which I realize is non-hardening.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »
Even though they are old skool when it comes to grain structure, they still are modern in the way they're treated. Most of them have much stronger emulsion than what most people think.

Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »
The ADOX films have extremely soft and delicate emulsions. I don't use a hardener, but in am careful not to use too warm solutions. I certainly wouldn't be developing/fixing/washing at above 22 degrees. Even at 19 degrees, the emulsion is prone to damage when handling .
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
I've never tried Adox films. I know Shanghai GP3 is pretty darn soft though.

From memory, I have some separate hardener formulas in my formulary... It's just that I'm stuck on my netbook right now and don't have the file handy.
Francois