Author Topic: "144,544 Spammers blocked up until today"  (Read 2214 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
"144,544 Spammers blocked up until today"
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
Yes, good people...that's the number of attempted forum signups we've had from spammers in the few months since we upgraded the forum software and installed a semi-automated spammer detection process. Believe it or not, even li'l old Filmwasters.com gets around 150 attempts every 24 hours....and even though the protection system is somewhat automated we still need to get involved every time to make sure that the software hasn't rejected people unfairly, or missed spammers that it should have caught.

I mention this only because the number astonishes even me and also to explain why sometimes there can be a delay in your forum signup request being approved.....often there are 3 legitimate requests hidden amongst 400 spammers and we have to deal with them in blocks of 50.

Anyway, so far so good (touch wood), FW has remained relatively spam free.  ;D ;D  8)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: "144,544 Spammers blocked up until today"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
is true, is true.

the one that really bothers me is the really-long-domain-name-email-address-in-japan person.  They try to sign up everyday (probably a bot), but the name changed the format of the admin page and really throws it all out on my tablet.

bah.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
You lucky people from
http://llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk/
don't try to sign up daily :)

BTW, it's said to be the longest domain name named after an existing place... it's in Wales...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »
And it does indeed exist!  I've been through it many times on the way from the Dun Laoghaire/Holyhead mail boat to Chester and points south.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
And I have an original 1960's railway ticket to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch it's 150mm long! 8)
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
When I was 18 months old (in 1963) my family moved to live in Ruthin, North Wales. I went to a Welsh speaking school (Borthyn) and one of the few things I remember is that the name of this village means:

"St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave"

Lyrical bunch, the Welsh. And can they play Rugby.....!!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »
that's.... a whole lot of spammers O_O

nice going with the blocking~
/jonas

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »
When I was 18 months old (in 1963) my family moved to live in Ruthin, North Wales. I went to a Welsh speaking school (Borthyn) and one of the few things I remember is that the name of this village means:

"St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave"

Lyrical bunch, the Welsh. And can they play Rugby.....!!

Since you understand it, it would be fun if you could post a video pronouncing this!

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
ha - sounds like something from "Father Ted"  ;D

spammers - and the lack of them here on FW thanks to the backroom team! thanks guys.

what a  t  e  d  i  o  u  s  job  :'(

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
That is just amazing that FW has blocked such volume of spammage (I made that up... I think). 

And to veer off, Paul - I love that translation of the town / village or whatever!  There's a lake in the neighboring town in New England to where my mother grew up with an equally long name: 
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaug  (yes, I can pronounce it)
Which is supposedly native american (Nipmuc Indians) for "You fish on your side, I fish on my side and no one fishes in the middle" 

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
"You fish on your side, I fish on my side and no one fishes in the middle"

Ann - If only the world had listened to the Nipmuc people -things would be undoubtedly more agreeable :)
L.