Author Topic: Don't leave home without it  (Read 12775 times)

astrobeck

Don't leave home without it
« on: March 09, 2006, 09:16:49 PM »
You can bet money that my Pentax K1000 is always in my pack when I'm out shooting. 
You will also find my Rover, and a Crown Graphic, plus a modded Holga.

I'm curious as to what camera the rest of you would not leave home without??
 :)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
Re: Don't leave home without it
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »
I'm usually carrying at least one camera with me at all times. I feel naked without one. Normally it's either a Diana (or clone), a modified Holga or one of my homemade lens doohickies (either the Pentacon Six or the Great Wall). And if I bring the shoulder bag, look out! Then I might have three or four with me ready to shoot with.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 11:40:24 PM »
Skorj and MikeL said I carry WAY too many cameras when I met up with them in Melbourne last year, but I have slimmed down my arsenal a bit. I usually carry my LCA because it is so easy to slip into my pocket, and in the camera bag - 1 x Fujipet and an integral Polaroid camera (either SX-70 or SLR 680 depending on my mood)
My alternative kit would be my 600 SE and LCA. It's really hard to justify carrying any other camera with the 600 SE really, it's so freaking bulky, especially when you include a spare Polaroid back or two to go with its 120 6x9 Mamiya back - but I just looooove it so much!
 ;D
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 12:07:49 AM »
Johnny Cash. Cash for short.
He's my current crappy homemade favorite (of 20) and he's painted all black.
But hoping he brings me some green.

Shot this latest with Mr. Cash.
Title: Walk The Line

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 07:45:37 AM »

Well... nice. I've seen this one before, but something about this neat smaller size makes it feel different. More like a vague memory, or a flash of a dream. Something blinking through my eyes as I try to recall something entirely different... I really like the results.

Skorj and MikeL said I carry WAY too many cameras when I met up with them in Melbourne last year,

Hai. That you did! I must 'fess up though to often carrying at least two. Recent trips though have seen me carry just my pocket-sized slow-synched-flash instant mess-maker. Scares the pants off the megapixel crowd as they are convinced it is a 50+ megapixel marvel.

'Fifty megapixels?' they say? 'Nope; this is 50 GIGApixels...' (photo: www.juergenspecht.com)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 03:23:25 AM by Skorj »

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 09:29:14 AM »
Skorj - that camera looks divine! ;D

I've started carrying a 35mm compact everywhere I go (especially mundane stuff). I got a few decent shots off the first roll I've developed and I'm rather suprised.

If I'm heading out for the day with the family I'll take my yashica 124G (built in meter and I have a close-up filter). Its small given the quality and its a damn sexy wee camera to use.

If I'm going out on my own, with the intention to specifically take photographs, then I have recently been taking a fuji 6x9 rangefinder and a digi slr. This is going to change to the yashica and a holga (which arrives next week). I take a tripod and a spot meter. MOST IMPORTANTLY - I take a pair of wellies. If I see some potential water shots I want to get right in.

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 09:31:44 AM »
Johnny Cash. Cash for short.
He's my current crappy homemade favorite (of 20) and he's painted all black.
But hoping he brings me some green.

Title: Walk The Line

sweet photo susan!

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »
Hmmm... I'm in a bit of a quandry with this one.

I do have a PAS - an Olympus Mju II (I think it's known as a Stylus Epic for our colonial friends! ;D ). It's the one with the fixed 35mm f2.8 lens. Very small, very neat, weatherproof, surprisingly tough, sharp lens, even a spotmeter... ...great!

But I confess that (except for snaps) we don't really get on.

The main problem is that it's optimised for film-in-brain-out holiday snaps, so it pretty much always maximises the shutter speed and shoots as near to wide open as it can manage. I can see their point, but given my druthers I'd prefer it the other way round. It's not really suited to a control-freak like me!

My "extension of my own right hand" camera is my F80 with 28-105mm Nikkor zoom. A bit bulky for an everyday rig and doesn't go everywhere with me, but as a camera for every occasion it's the best one I know.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 10:06:04 AM »
If I'm heading out for the day with the family I'll take my yashica 124G (built in meter and I have a close-up filter). Its small given the quality and its a damn sexy wee camera to use.

Suppose you've seen this then too: http://filmwasters.com/blog/archives/27. Skorj.

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:18:54 AM »
Quote from: Skorj

Suppose you've seen this then too: http://filmwasters.com/blog/archives/27. Skorj.

Oh superb! Its rather lovely isn't it?

Quote from: FrankB
I do have a PAS - an Olympus Mju II

And that's also my compact camera.

Small world, eh?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »
I have a voigtlander vf101 compact Aperture Priority RF that's always in the glove box of my car ... but usually it stays there! I dont know why I dont use it much, because it's a wicked little thing, the auto meter is far better than it should be and the lens is uber-sharp. 

My prefered combo for strolling and hand shooting is the Bessa r3a with 40mm nokton and 21mm skopar, and also my Fujipet (eternal thanks to Skj) , which, in my opinion is the best toycamera ever made.  It does have a gorgeous sweet spot in the centre which is very sharp, but the focus falls away nicely and there is vignette, but not so much as to dominate, like holgas do, and this can always be accentuated in printing if needed.

a fujipet example

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:20:08 AM by leon taylor »
L.

warren

• Currently distracted.
    • That...was my foot.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 01:55:40 PM »
My Olympus XA is always at hand as is my Holga. To and from work, the grocery, everywhere.
On random days or if I've got something on my mind I'll throw the bag in the mix with the Seagull 4B and the Arrow.

I'm trying to find a way to carry the Seagull with me everywhere, it just hasn't happened yet. If the Seagull comes with, then so does the Minolta light meter and several rolls of film. Doesn't fit real well in the pocket.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »

sweet photo susan!

Thanks Zoe.  :)

Leon--Haven't seen that one, have I?
Lovely shot.

tread

• what is this nasty film on my teeth?
    • GoTreadGo
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 05:34:54 PM »
Always with one loaded toy camera in my work bag...of late it has been the Randy modded prize Holga from WTCD (I'm not worthy!) and there is always either the Lomo LC-A or the QL17 stuffed into a padded homemade pocket inside. I carry a separate bag with my Panasonic Lumix FZ20 back and forth everywhere and although I think it enjoys the trip, it doesn't get used much...
check out my self-righteous crud at http://gotreadgo.blogtog.com/ i'm apologizing in advance.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 05:53:18 PM »
Leon--Haven't seen that one, have I?
Lovely shot.

ta susan - it's a new one and is in this months grabs ... http://www.filmwasters.com/grabs/v/04/leon/
L.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 11:11:53 PM »
I have my Army surplus bag filled with all the darlings...Holga, both Diana's...SX-70 and the One Step...flash gadgets, filters, tape, cloth, sharpies, string, film...chips, gum, lip gloss and terlet paper incase I'm in the woods. Sometimes I bring the Velbon along but I've yet to use a tripod. Since I bought 127 film, I stuffed the Baby in the bag as well...aww. I'm bringing a ladder next time...I've got ideas.  :D ;D 8) ::) :P :-* :'(
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »
Sheesh, beck! And I thought I was bad! Pretty soon, you'll need an assistant to carry everything... ;-)
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

tread

• what is this nasty film on my teeth?
    • GoTreadGo
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 09:35:33 PM »
She has a twin sister...I think Becky is having her fitted for Ansel Adams style saddlebags just like ol' Mistletoe!
check out my self-righteous crud at http://gotreadgo.blogtog.com/ i'm apologizing in advance.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 10:34:11 PM »
I used to carry a few cameras with me at all times, usually loaded with a variety of films ... but a while back I discovered that the less equipment I had, the more photos I took. Choice can be a killer. I now go everywhere with my one camera, two lenses, and b&w film... works for me. I do keep an emergency holga in my car though!

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 01:21:59 AM »
She has a twin sister...I think Becky is having a fit over her Ansel Adams style saddlebags just like ol' Mistletoe!

Haha...I hadn't seen this...what a hoot....but true.

..hahaa.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 03:18:06 AM »
depends, if we are talking - everywhere- and i dont have to think about it- welll, then its the lomo lca- VERY tiny and a holga or Diana. I made myself start carrying a smaller bag because i usually had about 5 cameras on me at a time- gets heavy after a while. If I am going on an outing with photos possibly in mind- different story. I have a courier bag I stuff with film and holga, dianas, maybe a crown graphic or my lubitel or mamiya c330.... went through a polaroid phase as well when I was carrying pck cameras and sx-70s everywhere, but then it dawned on me how expensive the film was for snapshots so now pretty much the only polaroid product I use is type 55 in my crown graphic and I have to make sure I think about it first....

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 03:43:34 PM »
To go full circle, I'm probably with Astro Beck on the K-mount Pentax. Mine's a P30T not the older K1000, but they're of the same blood line. I was never that into 35mm SLRs until I got into messing about with lenses, but now I'm using my 35mm SLRs more than anything. The P30T is the smallest camera I use a lot, so it's the most likely one to come out for the day. BUT, I've stopped carrying one with me at all times. It's a type of bondage and I'm too busy these days (and my bag's already got too much in it), so I now only waste film at pre-arranged times.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »
used to be LCA, now its the T4, but also have stopped carrying.    i find a few weeks away from it  , a few missed opportunities, fine tunes my eyes and camera lust again.

gricko

• 35mm
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 08:31:43 PM »
used to be lomo. then it died. ultra cheap combo w/ konica VX100 film.
tried w/ rollei 35. just was not right. did not feel right.
tried with canon demi.... felt better than rollei, but still not good enough.....
then started carrying eos 1 all the time.... very heavy. but feels right

thinking about getting one olympus xa.......but they are overpriced around here. around 100€..... too much. maybe another lomo.....

katie

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 11:05:12 AM »
It's only by reading through this thread that I've worked out why I don't carry a camera any more. Not as a matter of course, anyway. Stupid practical reason: I have to use a walking stick now--something that wasn't the case 18 months back--and there's a complicated juggling manouevre required to take photos with a regular two-hands and put-it-near-your-eye camera when you're using one hand on a stick. (Not to be attempted in a high wind or near fragile china.) When I was on crutches, I used a TLR. Perfect: you can lean on them with your forearms and deal with a waist-level camera.

Crazy. I'd not even =thought= about this before. I need to get back into the habit and just practice juggling.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 04:27:57 AM »
Hmmm....that could be a problem, but once you get the juggling going I am sure it will become second nature. A friend of mine in high school had a stroke and her dad somehow jimmed her camera for her as her left side was paralized ( at least for a while- I moved away and we kept in touch for a while but when I moved back she did not want to hang out- ah well, so I am not sure how she is doing now) But I know she was an avid photographer so she worked it somehow. Where there is a will there is a way :)

FrankB

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 09:41:06 AM »
Katie,

This may well be impractical for you, or something you've already considered and rejected, but a combination walking pole / monopod might be a possible solution to your problem. Here's a link to a fairly typical example - http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/product_info.asp?prdID=7285&usrID=6A9A97CE-05A1-4298-9C58-7C01C716D107

(Please feel free to shoot me down in flames if this is not appropriate!)

I hope you manage to resolve the situation in whatever way works best for you.

(Incidentally, this thread has had one effect - after lusting after a Rollei 35 in Ffordes for most of the weekend, my Mju II has been retrieved from its cupboard and is now residing in my coat pocket (six exposures down and counting, and it feels good to be wasting film again!))

All the best,

Frank

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 06:13:36 PM »
i have a sneaking suspicion that i don't have as many cameras as people around here do. having said that, i almost always have a holga and diana with me. colour in the holga and black and white in the diana. i sometimes alternate the diana with the banier. on the occassion that i may load up my lubitel or seagull i'll sometimes leave the diana or holga home just to make room. plus the seagull is quite heavy. lately, i've also been carrying around a home made pinhole camera(made from a tiny staple box with 35mm film). awhile back i picked up a cheapo plastic 35 mm camera for about a buck. i've yet to try it out. it's funny, i can plop down 3 bucks for a roll of 120 film, but plopping down the same amount of money on 35mm somehow feels expensive.

william in taipei.

aboot

• hitting the ground
    • aaron boot photography
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 06:06:35 AM »
you know what they say...

it's not the camera but the super dope people behind them and y'all are super dope people...  ;D

canon a1, ftb, holga and a "new" diana clone

stay cool

Aline

• Aline Smithson Photography
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 10:15:38 PM »
My 50 year old twins lens Rolleiflex is always packed--and I throw in a Holga and Diana just for fun.