Author Topic: (not hipster) Williamsburg  (Read 3261 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
(not hipster) Williamsburg
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:53:21 AM »
Williamsburg, Brooklyn is home to tens of thousands of Hasidic Jews.  I live about a 10-minute walk south of south Williamsburg where the Hasidic community is located (and thankfully far from the part of Williamsburg where the hipsters are concentrated).  I accidentally stumbled upon this neighborhood when taking a walk from my place up to the Williamsburg Bridge to go to Manhattan.  The Williamsburg Bridge connects the lower east side to Brooklyn, and Williamsburg's Hasidic community originated from people migrating out of the lower east side prior to WWII.

I had my Gakkenflex with me when I first walked through the neighborhood, and I liked what I shot.  It's a strange thing being non-Hasidic walking through the neighborhood with no other non-Hasidic person in sight because, despite being an outsider I encountered no signs of suspicion or hostility.  In fact, it is if I were invisible.  Rather a great thing for a photographer. 

I enjoy walking through the neighborhood because it's like stepping into the past.  From the clothes people wear to the storefronts to the kids playing on the sidewalk (rather than holed up inside playing video games), it's a throwback to a New York that I got to know and became enamored of through old black and white photographs from the 30, 40s, and 50s.

I hope it's okay that I post a link to my website to view the photos.  I do this because it helps give the experience I'm trying to give, one of peering through a portal into the past.

http://hookstrapped.viewbook.com/album/williamsburg#1

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
Re: (not hipster) Williamsburg
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:34:54 AM »
Och chust marvelluss stuff ther Peter  8)  8)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

sandys

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:17:26 AM »
very nice!!

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:03:55 AM »
I like these shots a lot, the Gakkenflex's aesthetic works phenomenally well with the subject matter/invisible photographer notion. I actually bought my wedding invitations from a great little subterranean Hasidic owned and operated print shop on Lee Ave called Gestetner Printing--here's a shot of it (not mine).

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »
Thanks!

I know that place!  Walked by it every day I was out shooting.

CroMag

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:01:07 AM »
My roommate and I used to hang out at a punk rock bar in the industrial part of Williamsburg in the late 90s before it got all hipstered up. We'd drive home through the Hasidic area around 3am and there would be entire families, little kids baby buggies and all, walking around the streets. Always wondered what they were up to at that hour... Your photos are like a slice of memory.