Author Topic: (OTish) Google Nexus 7/ Android 4.1 - can this help film photography?  (Read 12337 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Hi All

I'm getting excited about the Google Nexus 7 tablet ... finally, an affordable option (so it seems). As my rather pathetic and knackered iPod Touch draws its last breaths, I think I'll be having a serious think about this new device as a step up (size-wise at least).

But, what can it offer us film 'togs?

Does anyone know of useful android apps that would work well on the new tablet?  Maybe a photo-notes app for recording activity in the field? It will be limited without mobile internet ... does that make it useless for this though? What about other apps that might be helpful?

I think the Google Currents is going to be a great way for keeping on top of RSS from great photo blogs and online mags.

Other than a disappointing low-end phone that runs android 2:1 (which I barely use as it crashes so much), Android is a new thing to me.  Any seasoned users of the newer versions who can recommend new stuff?
L.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Not that I can help with that but I know Android 4.1 Jellybean is really top notch. Their voice recognition system is even nicer than Iphone's SIRI... which is pretty neat.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

mickld

I tried making contact prints from my iPad onto photo paper in the darkroom, as a cheap & easy way to convert digital photos into silver gelatin prints. Didn't work so well! The thickness of the glass put enough distance between the 'image' and the paper for it to be out of focus. I thought I was a genius too :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Leon, there have been affordable Android tabs around for well over a year now. Sure, they're a bit hit and miss quality-wise, but some of them start at around £90 and you kind of get what you pay for. My Dad's had one for about 6 months; I think it cost around £120 and it's been decent enough. Hopefully the Google Nexus tab will be slicker and better than the low end generic tabs, but I'm not sure this is anything new.

BUT, to move onto your other point re photo apps. No idea. I've had a 10" tablet for nearly a year now which runs Android and webOS, but I've never really though to use it in any way to do with image making. They make fantastic image viewers (as I've discussed here previously) via Flickr/RSS slideshow apps, but I've not used mine for the other end of the photographic process.

If you need an app for recording anything on a mobile device (as well as desktop and laptop) I'd asbo-lootly and wholeheartedly recommend Evernote....it's amazing and I use it everyday. I could totally see how you'd use it for recording bits and pieces for later reference. You can even add voice notes and photos to it. Perfect.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Ed: I think the fuss is about more-bang-for-your-buck than previous options ... but It could just be more hype.  I think I'm going to give it a try though. Ad Francois says, that OS is very attractive :)

Mick, there is some genius in what you say ... keeping things filmwaters-centric ... I think you could be onto something in terms of even illumination for contact printing onto paper - need a white screen app/ lightbox type app (another good use!), with dimmable screen, then sandwich the neg between paper and tablet! Hey presto! It would be nicer if there was a timer function too.

mind you, screen dimensions would rule out 4x5 negs :(

Any app developers out there?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:29:45 PM by Leon »
L.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Funny, I've been thinking about this too. With no rear-facing camera I suspect the light meter apps are out.

I have a friend who used to do weddings and kept his portfolio on a tablet for customers, as it lent a level of professionalism and interactivity that seemed to work well with his clientele. Would be trickier with a smaller tablet, but maybe more convenient for people who are prone to such things when sitting on a plane.

For me, I'm always hounding Flickr looking for inspiration (when I should be looking through the viewfinder), and I still haven't finished On Being a Photographer, so that's reason enough, yeah?

I'd love one, but $200 USD I have some options:

1) HARMAN TiTAN
2) Bulk loader, a mile of Polypan F, and some Rodinal
3) Nexus 7 so I can work when I'm not at work
4) Medical bills (my wife started chemotherapy last week)

Francois

• Self-Coat
I'd love one, but $200 USD I have some options:

1) HARMAN TiTAN
2) Bulk loader, a mile of Polypan F, and some Rodinal
3) Nexus 7 so I can work when I'm not at work
4) Medical bills (my wife started chemotherapy last week)
I guess toys will be out of the question for the moment...
Do send your wife my best get well soon wishes.
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Jack - that's rough.  Really sorry to hear that.  Best wishes to your wife from over the pond. 
L.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
I guess toys will be out of the question for the moment...
Do send your wife my best get well soon wishes.

Thanks Francois, and everyone, for your well-wishes. We're hanging in there. All considering, she's doing well so far, but it's a long road ahead, for sure.

And, you know, a cloistered existence won't help the healing, but we are more low-key. No Marrakesh for us ;)  . Toys aren't entirely out of the question, but frugal toys would be more prudent. And, believe it or not, the Nexus 7 is on the list. Same price as an iPod Touch but a little easier to read books and play Angry Birds during the infusions, and a convenient intermittent distraction agent for the 5-year-old, who has a proportionally inverse energy level.

(I tried salt as a restrainer. No luck. Maybe I should stop developing the kid with caffenol.)

All of which does not sound much like a TiTAN, does it? ;)

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: (OTish) Google Nexus 7/ Android 4.1 - can this help film photography?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
My very best wishes to your beloved Mr. Johnson  :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »
Anyone getting an iPad or Android ("coming soon" according to Nik Software) tablet could do a lot worse than have a look at this:

http://www.snapseed.com/

Okay, the demo shows lots of trendy luvvies waving iPhones and digi point and shoots around - but the software will work on any jpeg image and you can get a version for pads, phones and desktops. The desktop version is around £12 and the iPad version is a £3 app.

I use (used....) Nikon Capture NX2 (also developed by Nik Software) before I relinquished control of my D700 to Lara and I suspect strongly that Snapseed will be a really good and fun piece of kit.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »
Not that I can help with that but I know Android 4.1 Jellybean is really top notch.

Jellybean!!? I've only got Ice Cream Sandwich. I can't keep up.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
Leon, there have been affordable Android tabs around for well over a year now. Sure, they're a bit hit and miss quality-wise, but some of them start at around £90 and you kind of get what you pay for. My Dad's had one for about 6 months; I think it cost around £120 and it's been decent enough. Hopefully the Google Nexus tab will be slicker and better than the low end generic tabs, but I'm not sure this is anything new.

I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007LM0CJE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00 when it was £70 and for what I need (email, bit of browsing) it's more than adequate.

Haven't found any useful photo apps yet though.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:55 PM »
As a viewfinder?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joseph-jb7/7252547558/#in/set-72157624806731242

(I know this one's an iphone, but pretty cool concept I think- especially with a 7" tablet)

As for photo related android apps I've tried some of the free lightmeter apps on my phone, but they were pretty rubbish when not in bright sunlight. Might as well use sunny 16. Harrumph
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:05:34 PM by DS »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
Maybe after the TTV (through the viewfinder) craze of a few years back we'll start seeing some TTP (through the palette) shots on film  ;D

I was checking the Google Play site and found a few things that might come handy.
Like Sun Surveyor to calculate the sun's position... handy if you want the sun to be at a specific place on a picture.
There's also The Photographer's Ephemeris in the same category...
Photo Tools Pro which looks like a very nice calculator for depth of field and stuff.
Also, there's the Artemis Director's viewfinder.
But these are all paid software...

On the free side, there's the DOF Calculator, Pinhole camera calculator, Photography Assistant, Photo Tools, Acacia, PhoforPho....

The trick is to search for "Camera Calculator"  and select "free" in the price range :)
Francois

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 11:49:56 PM »
I find all these tablets a bit hard to swallow  :D

Buy more film, I hear it lasts forever unlike consumer electronics.

There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
(OTish) Google Nexus 7/ Android 4.1 - can this help film photography?
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
I carry my iPad 1 around with me 90% of the time, but I can't say I've ever found it a lot of use for photography. I know digital shooters who are excited about using tablets so they can edit pics in the field (though the Nexus 7 has no SD card slot, oh well) but unless you're in the habit of keeping a changing bag, chemicals and scanner in your car, not so much use for film. I use it when I want do something other than waste film :o like send emails or read books or work on a novel or plan out a game concept or, well, you know, stuff.

The phone has been more handy, just because it is easier to take out and use. I've used light meter apps on that but as said above, might as well just use sunny 16 most of the time. There's a depth of field calculator that has a mobile optimised page, where you can enter type of film, focal length, range and aperture and it will show the depth of field plus the hyperfocal distance... don't have the link at the moment but will post later. I sometimes take a picture of something just so I can get a timestamp and a GPS location for reference later. And I use an app called Simplenote (which is cross platform) to take random notes on exposure times and apertures sometimes, though a paper notebook and pocket pen are much easier for that.

I keep records of all my film rolls on a database which syncs with my devices, so theoretically, after going out for a shoot, I could sit in a pub and update that over a glass or two of something, but usually I just have the glass or two of something.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »
Ordinal: My experience entirely. Nicely summed up.

Jack: Best wishes to your wife and the rest of the family. Fingers crossed that it all works out well. In my recent trips to hospital with a 5 year old in tow (routine surgery....so no real drama, but LOTS of waiting around), the tablet was very helpful for all of the things you mention in your post above. A sound investment for sure.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 07:19:28 PM »
I tried a few of the free programs using bluestacks last night and they seem good enough to do the job just fine.
Camcalc has a super DOF calculator and a nice light color conversion feature.
Phototools has a built-in lightmeter and a nice bellows factor calculator.
Photography assistant is a light meter and depth of field calculator.
PHOforPHO is like Phototools, only a bit different. Only drawback is that it works for only one format at a time.
Francois

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
(OTish) Google Nexus 7/ Android 4.1 - can this help film photography?
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »
Thanks, Ed!

That mobile DOF calculator is at http://iphone.dofmaster.com/ incidentally. (I'm sure it works on things other than iPhones, as long as they have decent browsers.)
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
Although it doesn't have mobile Internet. If you find you needed it you could always get a MiFi. A wireless router using mobile Internet.  I recently purchase another tablet without the mobile Internet as it added £100 to the price and the MiFi options I've seen we're around £50, not that I've purchased it,yet.

It has the added advantage that it will connect upto 5 devices simultaniously, useful if others have devices but no mobile Internet.

If you are really desperate for apps you could try developing your own on the MIT app inventer web site, desktop only.  Although I suspect this is more of a Francois option.  Perhaps you ought to buy two and send the other to him, he's bound to tinker with it then.

Mike

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
I wouldn't recommend these tablets (right now). I'm on my third replacement after having the screen separate on 2. The speaker has blown on my current one, so that will have to be sent back also.

Software and spec wise it is superb, and the customisability is far beyond what you can hope on an apple device.  Root it, and an even greater world of tinkering becomes possible. BUT, the Quality control is terrible on them and Google seem oblivious to that fact.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:35:43 AM by Leon »
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »
Although it doesn't have mobile Internet. If you find you needed it you could always get a MiFi. A wireless router using mobile Internet.  I recently purchase another tablet without the mobile Internet as it added £100 to the price and the MiFi options I've seen we're around £50, not that I've purchased it,yet.

It has the added advantage that it will connect upto 5 devices simultaniously, useful if others have devices but no mobile Internet.

If you are really desperate for apps you could try developing your own on the MIT app inventer web site, desktop only.  Although I suspect this is more of a Francois option.  Perhaps you ought to buy two and send the other to him, he's bound to tinker with it then.

Mike

Mike, I've got a cheap HTC Android phone that doubles as a wifi hotspot so that deals with all my mobile Internet needs.
L.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »
If you haven't bought it yet, I'd recommend you wait til you can get an iPad. Or better yet, try to win one.

I couldn't afford an iPad, but then I realized that there are so many companies and organizations having contests and sweepstakes to win one, that I could probably win one if I tried. So I did. On my third try I won one. Just keep your eyes peeled for legitimate contests and enter them. It may sound crazy but it worked for me!

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »
Thans for feedback Leon.
I've been waiting for the 16gb version of nexus to become available here since my beloved iPod finally died last month. But then I caught the rumours of the iPad mini and now am waiting what it will bring. I have to say I'm not much of a "tinkerer" - I need to use a couple of apps and not to care about anything - for which the ipad might work a bit better... Or maybe even the new ipod with larger screen.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
I'm resurrecting this topic as I'm after some sort of 10 inch tablet - Just to put music on, couple of films for when i go on holiday and don't want to take a laptop, maybe transfer some pictures from my phone, basic email, skype, internet etc  - There seem to be a load of budget ones for around £100 and the blackberry playbook (64GB) for £120 ish,  anyone have any recommendations?   I cant do anything over £200 as I need to also buy a new bathroom.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
Just got my mitts on a Nexus 7. So far so good. With some really helpful advice from Leon and Peter I've subscribed to the UK b&w photography magazine. I'm going to do a lot of reading on this so it should help my understanding of photography improve in a round-about way, who knows?

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »
Leon have you finally got a working Nexus 7? I was also thinking about getting one but your bad experiences have put those plans on hold for a while. It's a shame about the quality issues, from the reviews it looks good. Like them or loathe them Apple always seems to get the build quality bang on.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

mickld

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »
Other than as a backup light meter, my main iPhone use for film photography is as a metronome in the darkroom. Sad but effective.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »
Other than as a backup light meter, my main iPhone use for film photography is as a metronome in the darkroom. Sad but effective.

I can see what you mean - that is also one of the two most missed features of my late ipod touch.. (the other being the read-it-later app). I am still undecided between the nexus and getting another ipod though.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
Leon have you finally got a working Nexus 7? I was also thinking about getting one but your bad experiences have put those plans on hold for a while. It's a shame about the quality issues, from the reviews it looks good. Like them or loathe them Apple always seems to get the build quality bang on.

After my third one went kapput, I gave up and bought a Nexus 10 instead. I couldn't really get on with the small screen to be honest. As far as I know, they are still turning up with screen separation issues (which eventually leads to the screen fracturing), blown speakers, screen touch issues andso on. If you can get a good unit, I this a great little tablet. The samsung made N10 is a different kettle of fish all together. And the screen is large enough to use as a contact printer for 5x4 negs :-)
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »
and the blackberry playbook (64GB) for £120 ish,  anyone have any recommendations?
I know I'm going to talk against my local boys (research in motion) but stay away from the blackberry!
I know it's a very tempting piece of hardware that is priced just right, but there are issues with it. Biggest one is that it doesn't run a standard OS. Blackberry's been trying to push their own OS for which there is almost no support. If you can find a few hundred apps for it, you're lucky. One of the problem is that each and every different model requires a different version of the program. It has to do with the fact that their system is heavily encoded. You can go to the Blackberry app store to check out the poor selection that's available. While there is a way to play android apps, it's still going through some emulation layer... not very good IMHO.
Francois

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:18 PM »
I tried making contact prints from my iPad onto photo paper in the darkroom, as a cheap & easy way to convert digital photos into silver gelatin prints. Didn't work so well! The thickness of the glass put enough distance between the 'image' and the paper for it to be out of focus. I thought I was a genius too :)

Have you seen this? http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/07/digital-darkroom-printing-iphone-photos-using-traditional-chemical-processes/

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
Francois - many thanks.... you really are a fountain of knowledge!

I've been eyeing up the touchpad.. which I'm sure is the one Ed has...  9.7 inch screen for under £200 and quality.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »
........one (hopefully) final question to the assembled throng.......

Does anyone know how to turn off the infernal "clicking" noise that the Nexus 7 insists on making when typing / searching. I've been onto settings / sounds and nothing I do seems to make a difference.

Here's hoping. Thank you once again..... ::)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

Does anyone know how to turn off the infernal "clicking" noise that the Nexus 7 insists on making when typing / searching. I've been onto settings / sounds and nothing I do seems to make a difference.

Settings> language and input> android keyboard (button to right)> uncheck box next to 'sound on key press'

Job done.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »

Settings> language and input> android keyboard (button to right)> uncheck box next to 'sound on key press'

Job done.
Wooo-hoooo!!! That's fab. No more stroppy looks from my missus and other commuters. Silence is bliss. Thank you Leon.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
Francois - many thanks.... you really are a fountain of knowledge!
You're welcome. I too was very tempted by it, especially since it can be found for very cheap when on sale. I find it to be quite a shame that RIM didn't go all Android on their tablet.
When they came out, they were the best hardware available. Dual core, multithreaded and fast.
But the OS sucked big time. You couldn't send an email from it unless you had a blackberry phone nearby. They both connected together to get the address book. No phone, no email. You couldn't edit word or excel files because they posed a security issue. Some navigation buttons were actually inverted when they designed it (and the reason why their GUI programmers did that will remain a mystery until the end of time). The few apps they have look like boosted cascading style sheets, not proper programs. Nowadays, the people at Staples don't even bother turning them on to get a sale.

Somehow, they remind me of the days in the mid 90's when iomega and syquest were battling it out on the storage front. Syquest had top notch hardware in their ez-drive but their software was just lame. On the other hand, iomega had poor hardware in their zip drives but the software was simply brilliant. In the end syquest went under and iomega is still in business.
Francois

mickld

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »
Gary M - that's a fantastic idea. I think my phone should just about squeeze into the slot that normally takes the negative carrier. Must try it out on 5x7 paper.

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 08:12:11 AM »
I must add my two cents here regarding the Google (Asus) Nexus 7 tablet computers. There are now three of them in our household; both my daughter and I love ours so much that my wife insisted on getting her own as well. I'm happy to say that all three Nexus 7s are completely flawless, and I don't believe a better tablet exists today, thanks to an incredibly speedy/smooth quad-core processor, amazing high-res screen, and of course the fantastic Android Jelly Bean operating system. (currently at 4.2.1)

To those who have mentioned quality control issues near the start of the production run, (screen lift, dead pixels, poor speakers, etc) those problems have long since been dealt with, and it's safe to say you are assured of getting a perfect copy.

And since this thread started, a 32gb model has been added, although we find that we never have any storage issues on our 16gb models. Also, with the addition of a micro-USB adapter (online for 99 cents) and the Nexus Media Importer app, along with a memory card or flash-drive, you can easily increase your storage capacity.

Highly recommended!

Glen
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:16:21 AM by Glen »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »
I must add my two cents here regarding the Google (Asus) Nexus 7 tablet computers. There are now three of them in our household; both my daughter and I love ours so much that my wife insisted on getting her own as well. I'm happy to say that all three Nexus 7s are completely flawless, and I don't believe a better tablet exists today, thanks to an incredibly speedy/smooth quad-core processor, amazing high-res screen, and of course the fantastic Android Jelly Bean operating system. (currently at 4.2.1)

To those who have mentioned quality control issues near the start of the production run, (screen lift, dead pixels, poor speakers, etc) those problems have long since been dealt with, and it's safe to say you are assured of getting a perfect copy.

And since this thread started, a 32gb model has been added, although we find that we never have any storage issues on our 16gb models. Also, with the addition of a micro-USB adapter (online for 99 cents) and the Nexus Media Importer app, along with a memory card or flash-drive, you can easily increase your storage capacity.

Highly recommended!

Glen

I got the 32Gb version as I intend to load it up with music and also put a few photos on it as well. So far, I've had absolutely no problems with it that couldn't have been solved by me being more computer-literate!! The OS seems fine and when in a good WiFi area (or when tethered to my phone) it's damned quick..

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
Glen - there are still reports of the same QC issues from units produced in October. And the nexus 10 is far beyond the N7 in terms of performance and quality.

right - enough of this OT talk - lets bring it back to how it might help with our photography.

The Google Play store is woefully poor on apps for this kind of thing ... anyone found anything else?
L.