Author Topic: Rangefinder brightness fix  (Read 16517 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Rangefinder brightness fix
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
I've been bemoaning the fact that my Olympus 35RC rangefinder, a camera that I love, is difficult to focus even in quite bright light. I just couldn't see the rangefinder image properly. I've thought a number of times about taking the top off and having a look inside, but as we all know that's something that can quickly turn into something you regret.

So last night I was doing some googling on the subject and I found two tips:

1. The first is clean the rangefinder window - maybe this is obvious but mine was quite caked with fluff and it did make a noticeable difference.

2. And this my friends is 100% gold plated genius.  :)

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

I found this article which explains - and it makes sense now I think about it - the the rangefinder works by using the difference in brightness between the two images. So reducing the brightness in the viewfinder - by sticking a tiny square of black tape over the rangefinder 'spot' you increase the contrast. Suddenly it's much easier to focus.

The most difficult thing is cutting the square of tape small enough. On my 35RC that is about 2 x 3mm. If the piece of tape is too large it's distracting, but if you get it about the same size as the rangefinder spot then you don't notice it after a while.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Re: Rangefinder brightness fix
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
If only everything in life could be that simple and make such a difference! If only we had enough black tape to cover up the Euro...  :(
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

stefancoisson

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
Seriously, thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I was having this issue with my Mamiya Universal and this little trick fixed it so I can see the focus ten fold.

I love you.  :o

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
Seriously, thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I was having this issue with my Mamiya Universal and this little trick fixed it so I can see the focus ten fold.

I love you. 

Pleased to be of service!  :)

website

Lund

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »
Speaking of the Mamiya Universal I think I might try this on mine. Still bright and nice but any help to get this monster in perfect focus would be marvelous.

ludoo

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:43 PM »
90% of the time a good inside cleaning of the viewfinder glass and the rf mirrors (all but the side facing you of the translucent one) makes a world of difference, not only in the rf spot contrast but in overall viewfinder brightness. It's pretty easy, but you need the right screwdrivers or you'll probably strip some screws, and you need to take pictures as you progress in case it's not obvious later on how to put things together.

Sometimes though, especially on older rangefinders which used a delicate coating on the semitransparent mirror, there isn't uch you can do apart from cutting a new mirror from the 50/50 one sold by Edmund Optics. I did it on a Walz rangefinder and the difference in brightness and contrast was huge.

And of course, the best way to use a rangefinder spot is not to concentrate eg on a straight vertical line that goes from separate to a single image, but on the overal contrast "pop" of what is in the central patch.

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:03:22 AM »
I did something like this on a Fed5c I used a put a black circle of not permanent marker. This fix looks a bit more elegant. :D

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
Rangefinder brightness fix
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
Bumping this a little, but I'd just like to say that I just tried it with my Olympus XA, which I was finding a little hard to focus in low light, and it works fantastically. The only trouble is that the spot for the XA has to be very small indeed, and it's quite hard not to go over the edge a bit and end up with a black smudge - also in daylight you lose sharpness in the centre of the viewfinder. But indoors it's terrific.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »
how big was the piece you put on your XA? mine is devilishly hard to focus.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:24:22 PM »
I've kept the tape on mine and I don't notice it anymore. It really has transformed a camera that was very difficult to focus into one that is quite easy to use.

website

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
how big was the piece you put on your XA? mine is devilishly hard to focus.
I didn't actually use tape - I used a fine-tipped pen. It took a lot of iterations to get it right. It's a really small blob, maybe 1.5 x 2.5mm, and it should really be smaller.

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
Spot on viewfinder....

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
on the XA -ofcourse!! dimmest rangefinder I've ever seen. I think I'll do this to mine too :)
/jonas

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »
What a genius and simple fix! I'm going to do this on my Minolta 7s immediately, it's not so dim, but this is too good to pass up. Also, it's completely reversible, which is my favorite kind of "mod." Thank you!