Author Topic: Streak marks on negative  (Read 1486 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Streak marks on negative
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »
The negative below has streak marks on it.  I processed this film myself in a Patterson drum in a water bath with a Tetenal c41 kit.  Can anyone give any advise as to how to avoid these marks.  I used the twizzle stick that comes with the Patterson drum to gently agitate the chemicals.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Streak marks on negative
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »
From memory, I don't think there is a need to do a water bath for color film as it is treated specifically to react to the chemicals evenly. I think washing off this layer is not a good thing.
Also, I never use the spindle stirrer. I think a less linear mode of agitation is better since it avoids bromide drag.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »
Yeah that is drag. You defnly want a better form of agitation for complete coverage. Just inverse the tank four times for each agitation.

Oh and the first step in color developing is a water soak, same temp as the chemicals usually for 60 seconds.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
I'd avoid the 'stick' agitator. My method is a 60 sec pre wet at 38-40°C the developer is then put in followed by an immediate 30-45 sec slow roll agitation and three sharp taps. I also put an extra wash after the developer for 30 seconds with constant agitation; not needed but makes the blix last longer and may also help prevent process anomalies.
Never had any streaks, colour is a short process so agitation is important, when you find what works stick to it.
Use the inversion method and slow rolling rather than cocktail shake  ;D inversion method.

Mark
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.