Author Topic: silent_soliloquy on the great salt lake  (Read 5047 times)

Scott McClarin

• 35mm
  • Ever seeking knowledge from the enigmatic mirror
    • silent_Soliloquy on Flickr
silent_soliloquy on the great salt lake
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:17:34 AM »
Desolation as a form of beauty is a moment of perception where loneliness usurps the idea of companionship and replaces it with wonder in the silence.

Pattern, Shadow, and presence are all that matter in a place where salt and wind prevail.

One tiny cloud dares to block the mighty sun where seldom boats set sail

where the sands are more wispy and vapid than the clouds that reflect between their pools

where long abandoned ties are cast like earthly jewels

and perceptions like infections throw us into views...
the likes of which are sightly for even the unlikeliest of muse.

thanks for viewing and musing with me on this journey that is as much an introspection as it is an external observation.

Camera: Mamiya RB67 Pro-S
Lens: Mamiya Sekor 50mm C lens
Filter: Tiffen 25A except for the first image where a Conkin +8 Graduated Neutral Density Filter was used, my first time and the third frame on the roll.
Location: The great Salt Lake near Saltair, the Salt Palace, and the Audubon bird sanctuary on three different days within a single month in March 2012.
Film was digitized using a Nikon P5100 snapping 12MP images of Negatives backlit on a Chromega diffuser head inverted, focusing through the body of a Mamiya Waste level viewfinder to hold the negatives flat over the light unit.
Processing: Dust and fibers were removed from the images digitally, and in some instances lens flare was removed to equate to what the natural eye perceives as was with the first image in this series.
Silent_Soliquy April 2012.

I challenge myself to shoot on the same stretch of 50meters of beach to always find something different but constrained within the same time frame of sunset in black and white. I do this to show myself that no matter how many times you do a scene and location you always can find something new and interesting on good days and bad.

perhaps you can see why for me, film is an enigmatic mirror of perception and a suspension of disbelief for the miracles that happen every second of every day.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:41:36 AM by Scott McClarin »
Time is a false perception of the quickening eternity that we can only briefly glimpse through a temporary capture one frame at a time, where each frame in our momentum is an enigmatic mirror of ourselves and all who choose to look and truely see.

Lund

Re: silent_soliloquy on the great salt lake
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
Been looking through this a few times now.

I like it. A place frozen in a moment. Gives me a strong feeling of something I cannot quite place. Anxiety about eternity perhaps.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
I think I said before: I really like your skies. you're a real cloud catcher!
/jonas

Scott McClarin

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »
thanks for the kind comments..."Anxiety about eternity" is about as accurate a reaction as I could ever hope to elate in both prose and tone! Sincere thanks for noticing!
Time is a false perception of the quickening eternity that we can only briefly glimpse through a temporary capture one frame at a time, where each frame in our momentum is an enigmatic mirror of ourselves and all who choose to look and truely see.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »
Wow! Love that grain... Skj.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
interesting shots here Scott. Shooting into the sun like that is a tricky game.  I love how you've used the clouds to obscure the sun  - works very well.

I bet these would be a pig to print ... those contrast levels must be way off the scale - lots of water baths and paper flashing required I'd say :)
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
Beautiful work. A lovely series of photos.

Scott McClarin

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:42:28 AM »
interesting shots here Scott. Shooting into the sun like that is a tricky game.  I love how you've used the clouds to obscure the sun  - works very well.

I bet these would be a pig to print ... those contrast levels must be way off the scale - lots of water baths and paper flashing required I'd say :)

Yes and a really difficult to replicate in digital even if using HDR techniques due to pixel binning which is reason enough to try VC printing this next year when I get the darkroom finished...by the way do you guys have a photographic paper wasters forum, I think I may have to join that one soon as well! LOL! Thanks for the comments and ideas on printing I am very grateful. some of these would be awesome to split tone with Gold / Selenium just to see the tone separation particularly the darker one.

SS.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:34:46 AM »
be prepared for some serious two-bath and water bath development and pre-flashing then to get these under control.  :o
L.

Scott McClarin

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:50:40 AM »
Cracking my knuckles getting ready to launder my prints! And Flash them like a dirty old man.

astrobeck

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 05:27:46 AM »
these are wonderful, I also like the way you have used the clouds to trick the sun a bit....