Author Topic: Strange Xtol Question  (Read 1568 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Strange Xtol Question
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:38:57 AM »
So im not sure if this has been asked before but I mixed up some Xtol today. I JUST realized after doing 2 rolls of film that i forgot to add the final litre of water to the mixture. Assuming my assumptions are correct... 4L of water + Part A let dissolve + Part B + 1L of water. My neg came out just fine but it looks like it may have been a little overdeveloped. But nothing terrible.

I stored my 4L of developer (should be 5) in a rinsed out jug and an accordian style container. Heres my question, would it be worth it to cut back in that 1L of water into my accordian and the jug respectively or add a little more water to the 1:1 developer mix when developing. I totally got ahead of myself when mixing up that developer should have stopped and made sure everything was perfect before i moved on!

a couple examples...

HP5 Xtol 1:1 8.5min Leica IIIa with Summar 5cm.

FP4 Xtol 1:1 8min Nikon FG-20 with macro lens

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: Strange Xtol Question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:50:14 AM »
Actually a little googling looks like if i dilute 2:3 i will get normal dilution. Does this sound correct?

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:40:38 AM »
i had exactly the same problem the 1st time i used xtol, the instructions on the box are confusing!
have a look here:
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:36:32 AM »
thanks for the link! i think i stumbled upon it before, but i didnt read the first bit as i was looking for dev times for technical pan. I'll skim through again.

I did do a roll tonight though i just did the old 2:3 for 1:1 rather than messing with the whole batch and everything seemed to work out! Kentmere 100 at 10 minutes 20*.

(sample shot)

Shot with an XA2!

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
cool shot of the horse, bit underexposed, but you can fix that up if you reprint

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:46 AM »
Doing some investigating. Flickr must not like files uploaded as 8bit gray, must be RGB. Heres the RGB version. Much closer to what i have on my screen.