Author Topic: Lyckholm, the brewery that was.  (Read 6020 times)

Lund

Lyckholm, the brewery that was.
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:50:56 PM »
I thought I share parts of my ongoing exploration of the Lyckholm Bryggeri (brewery). The brewery was founded in 1881 and most buildings erected from there until 1900. In those days it was the most advanced brewery in Sweden using pure yeast and a cooling system. They seem to have produced malt for other breweries as well as it's own beer in the lager-style of the day. These days it's worn down. The brewery was closed in 1975. It's on a list over protected buildings to be preserved but considering the repairs it's looks like it's only on paper for now.

The area is quite large and covers lots of buildings. This is from the main yard just inside what seem to be the main gate. Most of the ground level parts seem to be shady car repair shops these days.

Nothing have really been taken care of. Seems like no one knows whats going to happen with it. Usually in Gothenburg old buildings are just torn down.

Guess back in the days they just build it to last forever.

I guess it's because of all the small shops, art studios and rehearsal rooms that don't have any toilets that some of the doors inside are open. After some very, very worn down restrooms in a standard for a factory in the 60s it leads to these tunnels with leftovers from the brewery. The angled roof is probably some part in the very design of the production. I guess by moving malt by weight but I'm not sure.  

Most of the doors are locked. And the one you can peek inside is usually filled up with junk. And I wouldn't really want to break in since even though the abandoned feeling there is lots of activity going on.

It's strange really. Parts of the wires is up to date and used, just to suddenly lead into an old controlbox for venting out the malt mill that there is no trace of, atleast not on the floor or room your in.

I been in the area before but had forgotten about it. But the reason I got to spend time there again was that the hobby studio/rehearsal room that some friends of mine have moved to the cheap rooms present.

There is a long corridor ending in a turn and opens up to this and leading off to some more doors up or down short stairs. I think there is about handful rooms there all used as rehearsal for local bands. Except the first one just up the scary stair in the previous picture where I believe someones lives.

I guess it isn't the highest standard or even very healthy to be there (black moldy areas) but it does have a certain feel of creativity.

I never explored it all. Guess I'm afraid that it might disappoint me if it weren't more to it than what I already found.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:28:33 PM by Lund »

byron

• 35mm
Re: Lyckholm, the brewery that was.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
I really loved this essay - I'm all for exploring places. The 4th, 6th, and 7th are my favorites. I love how the light just bleeds into the frame onto those shots. You've inspired me to shoot more b/w while exploring...thanks a lot for sharing! :)

Lund

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »
Might add that 3,4,5 och 6 is shoot with a Mamiya Universal with a 100/2.8 on a 6x9 back loaded with fomapan 200. The rest is one(might have been the chinon) of my m42 bodies with a pentacon 29mm on the wonderful Rollei Retro 80s. Both developed in R09. Think both might have been 1 hour 1+100 stand.

Daniel Emami

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »
The way your story takes one through the brewery is pretty cool. And your photos are good as well. Hope to see more from you.
www.dallesdagbog.wordpress.com the place where i document life as I see it.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
nice set, Lund. I particularly like the wire shot -and the stairs going up of course.

this reminded me of an old shot that I took when I still had my beloved rolls of fortepan.
I still say that we have to go there together some time :)
/jonas

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »
Nice exploring! and I really liked your explanations  ;)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »
Great pictures of an amazing building!

philruss

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
Wonderful essay in black and white.