Author Topic: Rush  (Read 7108 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
Rush
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
It was a beautiful sunny day on tuesday 27/03/12 and thankfully my day off.  I went for a walk around Crystal Palace park and luckily I stumble on a film set which I soon found out that the movie in question will be called "Rush", due to be released in 2013.

The movie is directed by Ron Howard and focuses on Niki Lauda's nearly fatal accident and his rivalry with the British driver James Hunt.

Most of the drivers are the car's real owners and it seems to me that quite a lot effort is going on to make these machines working...

Back in the 70s Crystal Palace used to held racing cars and part of the racing track still remains.

All photographs taken with the Rolleiflex 35SL on Agfa APX 100 and processed on Rodinal.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:49:23 PM by sapata »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Rush
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
oh, it's YOU who have been flooding flickr with these?? I thought for sure that it was library of congress or something :D
there's some nice shots among these~ I particularly like the ones with the drivers preparing. and the cars are a work of art in themselves :)
/jonas

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
oh, it's YOU who have been flooding flickr with these?? I thought for sure that it was library of congress or something :D
there's some nice shots among these~ I particularly like the ones with the drivers preparing. and the cars are a work of art in themselves :)

Ha!  :D :D thanks for the feedback jojonas...

And because of those pictures I've reached the 200 photos limit (which I didn't even know that exists!) on the free account. :P

The cars are really amazing... I could've spent tons of films on them easily!

Daniel Emami

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
At first I was like - How old are these photos?

It sure is a great scene. Even though I'm not all that into cars and such I still find these amazing!
I really like the one where they are all standing around one of the cars I can imagine what they are thinking: "I just wished it was my car" and then the other "Yeah I have had for so many years and it's still nr. 1 in my heart" or something like that :D

Nice job.
www.dallesdagbog.wordpress.com the place where i document life as I see it.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
And because of those pictures I've reached the 200 photos limit (which I didn't even know that exists!) on the free account. :P
tip for getting around that and being able to access your uploads even when they pass that 200 line: make your own group and add everything there. from there everything will still be avaliable :)
/jonas

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
Great stuff! Being a car freak, I looked at these in great detail. Spectacular, and obvious a sequence being shot a few years before the accident.

Incidentally, another way around Fickle's rules is to simply repost the same photographs that have 'disappeared' from view if you need them again.

Also, if you add another 200 pics and this excellent set 'disappears', you can also simply come here, or any other site displaying them - including a Fickle search - right click and reuse the same URL.

On Fickle searches, if you use unique-to-you terms (I use 'kittens', 'hrd', 'pron', and 'harajuku') you can also just type those in the search function and though Fickle will not display in your page, it will dillegently drag 1000 photographs and display with your secret-system tags... Thanks regardless! Skj.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
Mauricio - I missed these first time around.  This is a great photo essay of the event.  Superb!
L.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:50 AM »
tip for getting around that and being able to access your uploads even when they pass that 200 line: make your own group and add everything there. from there everything will still be avaliable :)

Incidentally, another way around Fickle's rules is to simply repost the same photographs that have 'disappeared' from view if you need them again.

Also, if you add another 200 pics and this excellent set 'disappears', you can also simply come here, or any other site displaying them - including a Fickle search - right click and reuse the same URL.

On Fickle searches, if you use unique-to-you terms (I use 'kittens', 'hrd', 'pron', and 'harajuku') you can also just type those in the search function and though Fickle will not display in your page, it will dillegently drag 1000 photographs and display with your secret-system tags... Thanks regardless! Skj.

Thanks guys for the tips... I'll be looking at these options as well. :)
In the other hand, the fact that only displays a certain amount of images, it's a way of keeping the account with fresh material.

Mauricio - I missed these first time around.  This is a great photo essay of the event.  Superb!

Thanks Leon!

UK Roger

• 35mm
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »
Thanks for those great shots Sapata, they brought back many memories.   I used to race motorcycles at the Palace, back in 1966~1971, there was always a great atmosphere there, partly because the circuit was "in" a city rather than stuck out in the countryside.   There were only two motorcycle meetings a year plus the car meetings, resulting in the track being grippier in the wet than Brands Hatch was in the dry!, though it was somewhat slippy under the trees in the wet through The Glade and Park Curve.   The drop down onto the back straight and the right at Ramp Bend had a 10 foot concrete wall along the outside of the track, if you lost it you had nowhere to go but into the wall!   We must have been mad, they'd never get a licence for a track like that now, but back then we didn't worry about it.   The circuit had been in use from 1937 until 1972.   Great photos, great circuit, great memories.   Thanks once again.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »
Thanks for those great shots Sapata, they brought back many memories.   I used to race motorcycles at the Palace, back in 1966~1971, there was always a great atmosphere there, partly because the circuit was "in" a city rather than stuck out in the countryside.   There were only two motorcycle meetings a year plus the car meetings, resulting in the track being grippier in the wet than Brands Hatch was in the dry!, though it was somewhat slippy under the trees in the wet through The Glade and Park Curve.   The drop down onto the back straight and the right at Ramp Bend had a 10 foot concrete wall along the outside of the track, if you lost it you had nowhere to go but into the wall!   We must have been mad, they'd never get a licence for a track like that now, but back then we didn't worry about it.   The circuit had been in use from 1937 until 1972.   Great photos, great circuit, great memories.   Thanks once again.

That's incredible Roger...

You should've seen the track they set up just like back in the 70's... I'm sure you'd love it.

I have some digital snaps from the track in my flickr, unfortunately with the Rollei and a 50m lens I couldn't get much of the action so I decided to focus more on the pre-race, which I found much more fun to be honest.  I found incredible to be able to be next to those cars... they're really beautiful and have some much history :)