Author Topic: film developing in the USA  (Read 7936 times)

astrobeck

film developing in the USA
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:35 PM »
When I don't process my own film, I send it out to Dwayne's Photo in Kansas.
(You may remember them as the last lab on the planet to process Kodachrome.)

They do an excellent job and offer reasonable prices and are very fast!
I just noticed they also do cross-processing which my lab in town won't do.

Just passing this along as others have asked in the past.   :)

Terry

Re: film developing in the USA
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Becky.  I think it's important to identify the labs that provide a good service and do what we can to send business their way.  For those in the northeast, I can recommend Taylor Photo, who are local for me but also do a great job--they'll do everything up to 8x10 and maybe larger and they do excellent work.  These guys provide a better service than I used to get in New York.

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:17:54 PM »
Yeah, always great to know what labs are good and really helpful to know if you happen to be traveling around and need to get some processing done.
 :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
Guys, thanks for the info. I'll move this to the Resources board in a day or two.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
I am afraid I can give no good info..where I live the only town of any size ( about 35,000) sends there black and white film for me to develope..their only other option is sending it off to Seattle, which takes about a month (?!) and then they charge customers approx. $25.00...I do it for less than half and that includes my postage..they will only develope color 35 and 120 and nothing else..slide film also goes to the coast. At Cost-Co they do a really nice job of developing C-41 (develope only is $1.72) but only 35 mm...so cheaper than I can do it at home..the only drawback being they are about an hour away from me..There is a nice shop in Moscow, Idaho ( Archer's) that does great work but they are 2 hours away..If I am up there for any reason I have them do my color 120 in an hour..They only do black & white on Mondays..no one seems to be helping the filmwasters cause!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:36:21 PM by Diane Peterson »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
I really like these folks.  Their online prices are a bit higher than their in-person go to the store prices but they offer the cleanest negs I've ever received.  They are fast, consistently high quality, and they offer cross-processing (though they don't specifically list it) at the regular C41 price.

http://vistaimaginggroup.com/shop-online/#ecwid:category=1854843&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

byron

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »
I've found this to be an unpopular choice, but I'd like to vouch for Photoworks San Francisco - photoworkssf.com

They've processed all my color film from the last three years with excellent results, even though their prices have gone up a few dollars in recent years. I've only ever had two issues with them, and they were extremely friendly, courteous, and personable as they resolved them in no time at all. Recently my film had been lost in the mail due to a damaged package (fault of USPS, not them) and the owner wrote me a note of apology and gave me a free roll of film when they managed to track it down and get it on its way to me again.

They are dedicated to film, which is why I continue to support them.

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
For the best price - sharp photo and portrait
For the best scans and E6- North Coast Photographic services
For the best black and white processing and optical color prints - blue moon camera

For local i use A&I in Hollywood.  They are a bit pricey though, especially if you want scans.

I pretty much do all mail order these days.  If you like color and want scans its tough to beat NCPS, although their b&w isn't the best, and the BW scans are a bit ugly IMHO.  But seriously, they do amazing e6 and neg scans for a reasonable price.

Blue moon does fantastic BW processing by hand, you can tell its not done in a batch and they Process differently for different emulsions. Their color processing is excellent as well but ive not tried their scans. If you shoot color neg though i would highly recommend at least trying their optical c prints. They are gorgeous, you will love them.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
for everyone in California this is the cheapest place ive seen and i hear they do pretty good work.

http://stores.prophotoirvine.com/-strse-template/labservices/Page.bok

astrobeck

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »
just bumping this so one of the mods can move it to resources as Ed mentioned.
Thanks!
 :)

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »
I'm going to add my own services here, I think you'll find the prices to be pretty reasonable.  Here is the link to my site, which lists my prices and directions for contacting me.  :) 
Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
I have been using Harmon's - Flair Pro Color Lab in Gainesville, Florida to develop my C-41. If I ship my film out to them on tue/wed they recieve it by Friday. I get confirmation emails and it is usually here by next Wed/Thurs.
http://showprints.com/