Author Topic: Holga 120 Pan  (Read 28154 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Holga 120 Pan
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
So I bought a Holga 120 Pan.

When it arrived, I thought I'd been sent an empty box. It's a lot lighter than it looks like it should be. As my first Holga, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of quality but I would say it's better than I expected. A quick check over suggested everything worked as it should. The only issue was one of the clips holding the back in place was loose and needed a bit of adjustment.

The 120 Pan is clearly made up from parts originally made for the 120 WPC (pinhole). The top plate has the field of view lines on it that would be used with the WPC but for the Pan, a viewfinder has been added. The viewfinder is clear and has only mild barrel distortion. The left and right limits are a bit vague but, although I didn't test it, I suspect the viewfinder only shows maybe 80% of what the camera is taking. Also on the top plate are two hot shoes and they are proper 'hot' shoes with the centre contact wired to a flash trigger on the shutter. The two shoes on mine seem to point slightly outwards. Whether this is intentional to spread the light farther or whether it's just poor assembly, I don't know. I've not tried the camera with flash and have no plans to. Also on the top plate is the film wind knob which has a healthy ratchet sound when turning it. There's a redundant white line next to it as well as a similarly unecessary arrow moulded into the top plate.

The back of the Pan comes completely off after sliding down the two catches at either end. The catches double up as strap lugs. If they are used as such then checking to make sure the latches can't move upward beyond their closed position is worth checking. One of mine did easily and this would have meant the back could have come open if I'd hung the camera from it.

The back is another part from the WPC and has a red window with a slider that uncovers the relevant section depending on the neg format being used and the number of frames. But the Pan is supplied only with the 6x12 mask and the slider has been glued in place leaving a red window with the number 16 by it which seems confusing. In fact, you wind on to number 1 then each odd number after that (3, 5, 7 etc.) for a total of 6 frames.

The 6x12 mask isn't. That is, it's not 6x12. I measured it at 52mm x 119mm. Pretty good on the long side but very short on the short side. I would have liked at least 56mm. There doesn't look to be any options to open it out either.

Getting around to the busines end. The lens is 90mm which is about a 28mm equivalent.

The shutter is a rotary type and is simple but effective and gives a single speed, specified as 1/100th sec. However, my shutter speed tester measured it as 1/140th sec. so a bit fast. I guess it might slow down with use as the spring weakens.

There's also a B setting. The shutter is self setting and is operated by the lever to the side of the lens. There are two, unspecified apertures indicated for sunny and overcast/flash use. My tests suggest they are approximately f/4.5 and f/6.5. The lens can be focussed but there's no scale, just the usual pictures ranging from a mountain to half a person. Closest focus is specified as 1.5m.

Besides the tripod bush on the bottom that's about it.

In use, there is very little to it. Loading is fairly easy though the spools can be a fiddle to get in and out. There are two pieces of foam which press aginst the film to keep the spool tight. A bit crude but it seems to work and the film came out tightly spooled. There's just about enough leader to the backing paper to get it engaged in the take up spool before the start arrow appears. The instructions suggest winding on a couple of turns before refitting the back but I only wound to the point where the start arrow appeared which was less than one turn but I had no problems with the film not taking up.

Results are, I guess, typical Holgaish though the fall off in exposure towards the corners wasn't as great as I expected. All the examples here were taken with the larger aperture so I assume exposure would be a bit more even with the smaller aperture.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:31:55 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
Re: Holga 120 Pan
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:55:58 PM »
Those are pretty decent pictures. What film were you using?
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »
Those are pretty decent pictures. What film were you using?

XP2. They are actually pretty thin negs but it was a dull morning.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
I bought the Holga 120 Pan with the idea of adding a 'proper' lens to it. This is what I did.

I already had a 90mm Angulon and planned to use that along with a focussing mount. A search of ebay came up with a focussing mount with a m42 thread  (meant for use as a variable extension tube). I had an old m42 lens mount and used a m42 body cap with a hole cut in it as a lens board. In removing the original lens and shutter I also removed the flash wiring and the hot shoes. here's how it went...

First the lens/shutter assembly was removed. This just needed two screw removed from inside. One above and below the shutter.

The assembly has the flash wires disappearing into the body.

I removed the hot shoes, snipped the wires and pulled them out revealing some pretty dodgy soldering.

I then had to do a fair bit of testing and measuring to see where the lens had to sit in relation to the film plane. Luckily I only had to trim up the front of the body and it was perfect for what I needed. I cut a hole in the front of the body to take a m42 lens mount flange I had.

The focus mount was screwed into that.

I cut a hole in the m42 body cap I had to take the lens. This is a metal body cap, I don't think a plastic one would have worked so well.

The body cap with the lens attached was then screwed into the front of the focus mount. I checked the focussing with a 645 focus screen taped to the back. I think it was dead lucky that more work wasn't required to get the lens the correct distance from the film.

Finally the lens was focussed on some measured distances and some marks applied to the focus mount and a label to the back to remind me what each mark represents.

And a couple of results.

The first of the above two pics seems to have some uneveness of exposure. I saw it on a couple of other pics as well from the same roll. Not sure what it is. Could be a light leak or could be a processing fault maybe but the film was developed with three others and only some of the negs on this roll showed the problem. I think I need to check this further.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:40:43 PM »
Hack-engineering at its best, Peter.  That's a great result.   :)

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
Quality hackery. I've seen a few mods like using LF wides to this camera or the wpc, but yours is an order of magnitude more elegant and less duct-tapey.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
Wow. Very well executed! And there I thought I wouldn't lust after a new camera for a while. And now I want not only a camera, but an additional lens an what not :)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »
great idea Peter and performed with panache.

Its difficult to see on these small scans how sharp the pics are ... I guess they would be a HUGE improvement on the Holga lens!

L.
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
great idea Peter and performed with panache.

Its difficult to see on these small scans how sharp the pics are ... I guess they would be a HUGE improvement on the Holga lens!

L.

Here's a couple of 100% scans from centre and edge of the negs. Not the same scene so not directly comparable I know, but should give an idea.

Holga edge of frame

Angulon edge of frame

Holga centre of frame

Angulon centre of frame

The other difference, of course, is the eveness of exposure with the Angulon.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
wow - simple-ish and effective conversion there !

results seem to have been worth it. the light fall off with the holga lens
was noticable for sure, but that is the holga look.

as a ti i would get rid of the foam tensioners, they will at some stage end
up in between the film on the take up spool !  ;)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
i would get rid of the foam tensioners, they will at some stage end
up in between the film on the take up spool !  ;)

I was thinking the same but without them the film could end up being wound loosely on the spool and get fogged.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:04:40 AM by Peter R »

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
peter, what i do with me 'olga is to create a "spring" for under the feed spool!
it should slip under the roll and into the groove on the body so it cannot move
or dislodge with the twisting of the roll!

I cut a length of plastic about 5mm wide and about 60mm long from a bottle
and make a Z shape from it and with thicker plastic i use a V shape with some
Kinks in it to create a spring effect and that does the job.

Only had 1 fat roll from this technique when the srting effect had worn!

I'll try and get some crap images from the phone for you and post them if
thats acceptable with the head honcho's?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »
I'll try and get some crap images from the phone for you and post them if
thats acceptable with the head honcho's?

Would like to see them Aoluain and I'm sure the honchos won't mind.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
cool, no probs.

I have film in the holga at the mo. but I'll post up something
which helps !

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 01:54:24 AM »
ok Peter here we go - apologies if this looks like a hijack  ???

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 01:59:54 AM »

the plastic i use is 1mm thick so when bent/creased in one direction has a nice
bit of resistance similar to using plastic from a bottle in a Z shape, image 1.

i also have left a "tab" in the thicker plastic so when the back is fitted it helps
to seperate the ends to help with the tension.

this can obviously be overdone with too much tension.

hope this helps  ;)

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
I cracked and ordered one of these, and shot a roll with it on Thursday. Some of the results are quite decent, but I may have to do the lens thing... the angle is great but anywhere apart from a small spot in the centre is terribly, terribly fuzzy.

Well, it _is_ a Holga, it's not like you buy them to take big shots that you can then go all Blade Runner on and count blades of grass. It's a pretty terrific toy certainly. It also pushed me to buy a kit for the Recesky pinhole panoramic/stereo 35mm camera, which should be arriving at some point next year by the slow boat from Hong Kong.

I liked the option to turn it 90 degrees and get a huge vertical slice. I might try taking it out into the city and doing that, to get a better feeling for the enormous angles and heights that one sees.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »
Alan, Thanks for the pics. Not how I imagined it at all so thanks for that. I'll probably leave the foam in place for now but will definitely try your solution if (or maybe I should say when) it starts to disintegrate or stops becoming effective.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
Peter - will you be unleashing this beast on the Suffolk coastline this weekend? Perhaps it is the new Black Shuck ?
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
Yes, that's the plan.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
Alan, Thanks for the pics. Not how I imagined it at all so thanks for that. I'll probably leave the foam in place for now but will definitely try your solution if (or maybe I should say when) it starts to disintegrate or stops becoming effective.

whats that saying .  .  .

a picture speaks a thousand words!

;D

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »
alan, you could make your own articles topic here on the forum for that guide :)
/jonas

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
yea - maybe i'll give it a thought !

its here now anyway  ;D