Author Topic: flickr alternatives?  (Read 4634 times)

Abdul Hye

flickr alternatives?
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
Their servers seem to be down and it seems to be bit of a sinking ship anyway. What are the alternatives? What’s good for following people and reading discussions? I don’t upload much so that not an issue for me.

photochrom

• 35mm
  • lomojournalism
    • La Nouvelle Vague
Re: flickr alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
http://www.ipernity.com/ - Some kind of Flickr (with more features).   ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipernity

Joel

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:28:27 PM »
Plus.google.com has a lot of photographers sharing photos. I hear a lot about 500px.com , though I am not on that site.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »
not sure about it being a sinking ship, but there are some other options. google+, tumblr, twitpics, etc. none are quite as huge as flickr. i haven't found anything near as robust and focused as flickr, though. most are general storage sites like photobucket or kind of take a blog format. a lot of the flickr copycats seems to go under. deviantart has been around for a long time and is popular. a mix of things there.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Abdul Hye

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »
ipernity.com has sound/music on it.

I don’t like sound playing when I’m not expecting it. I might go with google plus as I already have google accounts. Flickr seems to be back up.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »
I haven't tried all their functions since I use them mostly for hosting non important stuff but imageshack is pretty reliable up to now...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
imageshack is a terrible name though, right up there with photobucket. might as well call it it picturebarn or snapshotshed.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »
Yeah, I know... Somehow, just the use of the word Shack in any name feels so 1970's

Radio Shack
Image Shack
The Love Shack...

Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
In the last couple of years I've come to appreciate Flickr more than I used to and I'm pretty certain I'd never jump ship to another site. With around 3000 of my images hosted there I'm kind of tied in anyway, but I do think it's a decent and very functional site.

On the name front I'd like to throw in Phototrench and Imagechest.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:31:20 PM by ed.wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
On the name front I'd like to throw in Phototrench and Imagechest.
Do they both go together in the given order? ;)
(OK, you can insert any twisted mind joke right here... just keep it clean)
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »
Flickr will soon be launching a design change that will make it look more like 500px.

Terry

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
What I like in the name of flickr is simply that they haven't combined the idea of photography with a word that connotes disposability.  'Trench' 'bucket' and 'shack'.  Why not 'photobog' or 'picturedump'?

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 06:07:12 AM »
One of the things I like about Flickr is the whole notion of serendipitous community. With most of the other photo sharing sites, you don't get strangers self-collecting by shared interests.

Sometimes it's the good and the bad side of Flickr, though, right? Five-element North Korean lenses? There's a group for that. Foreign fire hydrants near cabbages? There's a group for that, too. I think if Google can ever figure out how to mingle Groups with PicasaWeb, they might have something comparable. I like Google+, but it still doesn't foster the same kind of group dynamic Flickr can.

It might also be intent, too. Are you trying to share pictures with friends or pictures with strangers? Sharing pictures with friends there are a lot of good options. Sharing pictures with strangers is a different ball game.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
One of the things I like about Flickr is the whole notion of serendipitous community.

Yep, that's key to its usefulness, that with the fact that it probably has more users than any other.  Like Facebook, it doesn't matter if it's the best software around or not; in a world of 7 billion what matters is that so many use it.

For linking images I use photobucket.  Yeah, sheepdip would have been just as appealing for a name.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »
One of the things I like about Flickr is the whole notion of serendipitous community. With most of the other photo sharing sites, you don't get strangers self-collecting by shared interests.

Yeah, this is why I like flickr- and I've made some very good friends (in real life) through flickr. It's just a shame that the groups end up being endlessly spammed by folk posting irrelevant photos trying to get more views.

I also like the way it's quite easy to use CC licensing on Flickr- this is important to me for work so that folk can pick up stuff and use it without having to ask.

As for it being a sinking ship- I'm pretty sure that if Yahoo goes under Flickr will survive

Lucy Telford

• 35mm
    • Lucy Telford Photography
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »
I have to say that I still enjoy using flickr and I still come across exciting and inspiring photographers on there.  Whether or not it's a sinking ship, well only time will tell I suppose.  I have noticed that a few of my good contacts have recently gone over to tumblr for posting their recent images...

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »
I like 500px. Once my pro expires on Flickr im making  a full switch

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
Personally, I don't think Flickr will sink. It's probably the most used part of the Yahoo empire...
Francois