Author Topic: Finding my way in the darkroom  (Read 5116 times)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
Finding my way in the darkroom
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »
I hope this is approrpiate subject matter for here.

I have always liked taking photos, although for my teens and most of my 20s that was mainly just holiday snaps or pics of my friends out drinking with a cheap point and shoot.

Then one day about 7 years ago a very good friend of mine (the very talented caballosblancos http://www.flickr.com/photos/caballosblancos/) bought a polaroid pack film camera. My immediate thought was "why have you spent so much on a camera that probably won't even work?".

However, once he took one photo in front of me, I was Instantly (mind the pun) addicted and was on ebay for one myself, which has to be honest turned into a bit of a habit.   

I know own countless polaroids and cameras including polaroid 195, 340, SX-70, 4 home converted polaroids, lc-a, holga, lubitel, and a bronica S2 and diana on the way (both via filmwasters,so thank you very much!).

Recently, with the onslaught of the dartk british winter approaching, I decided I wanted to try and find a course to do over the winter months. As luck would have it there was a 'traditional photography' course running in a college near to me which I enrolled onto. 10 weeks of 2 hour lessons every thursday.

The course content was essentially for beginners, and covered everything from filmspeed to aperature, how a camera works and then onto the darkroom about half way through.

Although far from an expert, I understand how a camera works, so was pleased that when I arrived, most people were 'repeat attenders' who just took the course to access the darkroom. So after brief introductions we established that we could skip the camera theory and spend all the time learning to process and print images. Although we did do a one hour session on paper as that was all new to me.

The course has taught me a lot on the basics of the darkroom. It has also taught me that I am still establishing what I like in terms of photos and their style. The tutor talked a lot about style and composition, and didn't seem to believe me when I told him "I just wander around and take a picture when I see something I like". 

The following are some of the outcomes from the last few months in the darkroom. As you all know there is something magical when you see your first and 500th) image appear in the developer.

As ever I would be keen for feeedback on any part of the pics.  Thanks for reading (If you've got this far!)

I was taught to always print at grade 2 initially and make a test print like the above. Contrast and cropping can be worked on after getting a successful initial exposure. I quickly learnt it is not a quick process and one good print can involve many tests and changes.

A contact sheet from a roll of HP5 shot on a holga. This was the first film I have bought, shot, processed and printed from myself. I was very shocked to see 11 frames of 12 were useable, I often struggle with exposure with the holga. Pulling the developed negative from the film tank for the first time was great and I have since processed more myself.

I'm still learning about contrast. I like this pic, but should the blacks be blacker? Is there a correct way or just what you like? I seem to lean towards softer images but I am still finding my way. This is my friend Rosie at Constantine Bay in Cornwall. Practika BC1 and HP4. lab processed. I'm also learning that you really can't touch the paper with chemically hands!

This is my wife and dog at perran sands, cornwall. HP5 and lubitel 166b, lab processed. I was pleased with this one. Although I printed it at many contrast grades and still can't decide which I like.  Also, I need to think about the print size, I like to shoot 6x6 in 120, and have mainly so far just printed like this, including the negative details, so I need to think more about cropping and image ratio.

Abandoned gunpowder works near Redruth in Cornwall. Lubitel 166b and HP5, self processed. Again it took me lots tests with contrasts and I still can't decide which one I like more, this or a softer version.

Old mine near St Agnes in Cornwall. This is a very frequently photographed landmark! Lubitel 166b and HP5, lab processed. People were commenting on the composition and the paths and horizon both leading you to the mine.  had to convince them I literally just looked back whilst walking the dog and shot it. I can't think about composition using the Lubitel, it takes me an eternity to frame it anyway using the top down viewfinder! This also showed me why Dad always told me to "keep your fingers off those negatives." Spot the annoying hair! I did reprint without the hair but gave it away.

Another good friend Tim wanted to do the course, so I have enrolled for a second term, now I am a 'serial attender' too. Tim is a professional photographer (using digital) but also a film enthusiast. His Mum has been a professional photographer too for about 35 years, and when she switched to digital, Tim became the owner of 2 hassleblads and 1 Mamiya TLR. This is an abandoned building at Davidstow airfield, and Tim, HP5 and Lubitel 166b, self processed. 

Inside of same building with same setup. I was pleased with the processing and printing of this, I was expecting the dark inside and light outside to cause more issues.

Thanks for reading! Self portrait with wife, terrible Movember moustache, Holga, HP5 and self processed, at a beach near St Agnes, Cornwall.

Any feedback on style or technique appreciated  :)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Finding my way in the darkroom
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:44:57 AM »
thanks for writing this up Matt.  It's really good to see you get into the darkroom and start making prints.  It's an addictive process for sure.

It is always really difficult to judge things like contrast etc from scans on uncalibrated screens, so I won't do that.  The thing that most struck me from your article is:

"Is there a correct way or just what you like?"

I think so many people get hung up on doing it the 'correct' way.  There really are no rules - make pictures that you like first and foremost. If you are happy with them, the chances are that others will be also.

John Blakemore's book is great to get.  It gives lots of advice in this area, and gets the reader thinking about the choices available to express an image - printing very dark, or very light, using harsh or soft contrast - these are all tools for the printer to use. I think it is best to ignore all the old adages like, "every print should have some maximum black", or "all shadows should have detail". It really is up to the printer to decide how they want to express their negative.

I think the only 2 rules that do hold are to ensure that highlights have some, albeit minimal, density - bald paper-white highlights do look a bit dodgy in my taste, and to make sure you have a negative that gives you plenty of printing options - if the negative has no detail in the shadows, then you aren't going to be able to print them, even if you wanted to.

Hope that helps. - Get the Blakemore book - it will open your eyes to all sorts of printing possibilities :)

L.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:47:57 AM by leon taylor »
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
you might also want to take a look at the 'printers art' articles I wrote for Black and White photography - on my website here: http://leontaylor-photo.co.uk/articles.html

Lots of options explored in those that show how negs can be interpreted differently by different people.

L.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
Thank you Leon.

I'll check out that book and I'm off to read the online article now.

Back to the darkroom on Thursday so will post anything worthwhile soon.
Cheers  :)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
Putting aside the learning part, it was a nice read regardless! Thanks. Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
I can't say much for the prints, and composure. you seem to have fun so I'd just recommend you to keep at it :)
I can say that I did like the variety in the prints though~

/jonas

Scott McClarin

• 35mm
  • Ever seeking knowledge from the enigmatic mirror
    • silent_Soliloquy on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:25:23 PM »
When you want the blacks to be blacker throgh a Holga, using a Spot Meter to decide on creative exposures would be handy, or preview with a digital camera, Spot meters are selling for tons cheaper on E-Bay these days. you can selectively expose for darker shadows or lighter highlights and expose accordingly, or you could just bracket by 2 stops on something you really like. I too am building a darkroom for printing at home for a better view of everything around me. Best of luck to you!

Time is a false perception of the quickening eternity that we can only briefly glimpse through a temporary capture one frame at a time, where each frame in our momentum is an enigmatic mirror of ourselves and all who choose to look and truely see.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »
you might also want to take a look at the 'printers art' articles I wrote for Black and White photography - on my website here: http://leontaylor-photo.co.uk/articles.html

Lots of options explored in those that show how negs can be interpreted differently by different people.

Hi Leon - you're missing one, Issue 92.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »

Aha - is that the one we did?  I've obviously not got a copy of that :(  Are you able to scan to PDF? If so, can you send it to me and I'll stick it up with the rest.

L.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:04:14 AM »

Aha - is that the one we did?  I've obviously not got a copy of that :(  Are you able to scan to PDF? If so, can you send it to me and I'll stick it up with the rest.

On its way.