Author Topic: portfolio  (Read 4123 times)

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
portfolio
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:34:04 AM »
I am planning to submit portfolios to 2 local galleries in the hope of securing an exhibition. I'm not sure how to go about putting this together. Is there a convention on how you present these things? Should I submit work prints or Archival FB toned beauties? Should I put it together using a range of my work or stick to a theme or simply include the shots I''d like to have in the exhibition? My stuff is mostly black and white but I have one colour shot that I'd like them to see - will it look out of context if I include it?
One of the submissions is for inclusion in an exhibition with a range of other artists and mediums and the other submission is for a solo show. Should I treat them differently?

Sorry there's so many questions but my head is full of them.

Cheers
Janet

chricela

• Black and White Film Process
Re: portfolio
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 04:38:02 PM »
Hi Janet,
I haven't actually done my own portfolio, so anyone can please correct me. But i've been told you should have a cohesive body of work , with atleast 10 &  not more than 20 images. Finshed prints.  They don't have to be matted but you can matt in you prefer to.  If you go out side of the square format, try to keep horizontals & verticals grouped (separately) together. This way who ever is viewing your portfolio book will only have to turn it once.
I hope this is of help.  :)
Chricel

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »
I am planning to submit portfolios to 2 local galleries in the hope of securing an exhibition. I'm not sure how to go about putting this together. Is there a convention on how you present these things? Should I submit work prints or Archival FB toned beauties? Should I put it together using a range of my work or stick to a theme or simply include the shots I''d like to have in the exhibition? My stuff is mostly black and white but I have one colour shot that I'd like them to see - will it look out of context if I include it?
One of the submissions is for inclusion in an exhibition with a range of other artists and mediums and the other submission is for a solo show. Should I treat them differently?

Cheers
Janet

Howdy Janet--- 20 final prints is optimum. Defintely not work prints.
If you have an "artist's statement" "or "Purpose" make sure you include that in your pitch, since gallery owners need to know how to sell you.
I've been advised to keep the portfolio all black and white or color when approaching galleries--not a mix if you are talking just one color. If you were doing half and half, then that would be cool--but one pic would seem out of place unless it was another series entirely and you wanted to give them a taste of what a second show would look like.

The very best advice I can give you is to purchase and read this book.
http://www.mvswanson.com/guidebook/guidebook.htm
Mary has all the answers when it comes to the fine art world. Saw her talk this weekend--amazing information packed into one hour. And meeting with her next month for a one on one. Happy to pass on more then. But I'd buy this book. It helps you focus on how to market yourself like no other written work I've seen.
 :)

Theresa

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 07:53:18 PM »
I think the advice so far is good.  I'd add calling the gallery to find out what they'd prefer.  They may already have guidelines for this.  For instance, a group show like the one you mentioned may want to judge all their entries by slide.  so you wouldn't want to submit a portfolio with originals that might get lost, damaged or not returned.

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 03:22:17 AM »
i agree that the color image in the mix of all black and white images would look out of place.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 10:15:26 AM »
Thanks everyone.
 I'll definitely get in touch with the galleries again and confirm what format they're after. It's a shame about the colour image as it's one that I particularly like but you're right, I should leave it out.

I guess I'd best head back into the darkroom and get printing...

Janet

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 09:38:11 AM »
Thanks everyone.
 I'll definitely get in touch with the galleries again and confirm what format they're after. It's a shame about the colour image as it's one that I particularly like but you're right, I should leave it out.

I guess I'd best head back into the darkroom and get printing...

Janet

Well, if you really like it... maybe you should design a color portfolio also. Might give you an excuse to get out and be creative with color. Then you can show both portfolios at the same time. :)

Aline

• Aline Smithson Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 01:48:53 AM »
Hi Janet:
I assisted Julia Dean with the Emerging Photographer Competition this year and watched as the judges went through
hundreds of portfolios--it was a great learning experience.  Too many people wanted to show their range--a few shots of flowers, some portraits, etc.  Those were all rejected.  Over and over, it was someone who could tell a consistent story, or carry out a consistent theme, presented and printed beautifully.  A comment about color work I heard again and again, was that it was over sharpened (in Photoshop).  This year's winners ranged from photojournalism to conceptual art, but all were rich in their exploration of a single subject.  Unfortunately galleries all seem to want a body of work of at least 20 images.  Good luck!  When I first started exhibiting, I had more luck at art galleries than at photo galleries...it's a good way to build your resume.
Aline