Author Topic: My Coronet Victor  (Read 7234 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
My Coronet Victor
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
[Sorry if this is a little longwinded but it's something I've been meaning to write for some time and didn't want to do it halfheartedly]

For as long as I can remember I've owned this Coronet Victor camera. It used to belong to my grandfather, or should I say I'm fairly sure it used to belong to my grandfather. The fact that it belonged to him is one of those small fragments of information you've carried from childhood, or could it be just I've carried from childhood, but don't want to fact check just-in-case it isn't correct.

I once remembered that my mum had won a bunch of flowers in a competition held by our milkman. I vividly remember going to the dairy at the end of our road where we walked between two rows of battery-powered milk floats lined up in a bizarre, ceremonial, guard of honour. My mum collected her bunch of flowers, which she was very pleased with. I remember she was wearing a lovely 60's style patterned 'A' line dress, although being six I didn't know what an 'A' line dress was. We both walked out as pleased as punch. As an adult I said to her, "Do you remember when we went to the dairy to pick up that bunch of flowers you won from the milkman?". There was a silent pause and I was met with a blank look that I can remember to this very day. My mum then explained to me, as though I was still six and I had just woken from a nightmare, that I must have dreamt the whole thing. She smiled at me indulgently, I can't tell you how disappointed I was. Not for the loss of the flowers, they would have been long gone, but for the loss of the memory.

So you can see my nervousness on the issue of grandfather's camera, in this area I have form, previous you might say, my cherished memories are not to be trusted. Granted, unlike the flowers, the camera does actually exist. It is sitting in pride of place on the bookshelf, in our sitting room, the only of my many cameras to have such a privilege. So to find out that this memory is in fact, like the milkman episode, not quite as I remembered and that my parents had, say, picked it up at a jumble sale, some time in the 70's, would be more than a little disappointing.

During the war my grandfather served as a fireman in London and was a keen photographer, going out photographing fires when he wasn't working. When my grandfather died, from leukaemia, my grandmother being a no-nonsense Londoner, and not giving too much creed to sentiment, threw away the majority of his negatives, many of them glass plates. A fact that, whenever I think about it, fills me with enormous sadness. I know that she wouldn't have done it with any sort of malice, she just wouldn't have seen the point of keeping them. My Coronet Victor is the only thing of 'his' I own and so is very precious to me.

Until recently I'd never shot with my Coronet Victor. When I was young it was just an interesting old camera, but it never occurred to me I'd ever use it for taking pictures. As I got older digital cameras came along and it was relegated as 'just an old film camera'. The sometime in 2008 I bought myself a Holga and got back into film photography, my Coronet Victor was then reconsidered and became the camera that had last been used by my grandfather some fifty plus years before. It takes 127 film which is now only made by Efke in Croatia, I'd bought a roll but somehow I quite liked the idea that my grandfather had been the last person to push that button with any purpose.

On Friday 23 December 2011, the time seemed right, I headed out and over 50 years since it was last used my Coronet Victor began making images again. The shutter's a bit sticky, something I'm not quite sure what to do about, but eight of the twelve shots came out OK. I don't see me using it a lot, but I'm certainly not going to leave it another 50 years.

(Unfortunately, from the shape, not taken with a Coronet Victor)

Thanks for reading,
Nigel

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:41:24 PM by Nigel »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: My Coronet Victor
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »
Nigel - thanks for taking the time to put this together.  I think that all too often, we think about the art of making creative images, and ignore the memories and pleasure that pictures and cameras bring. Thanks for reminding me of that.
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing this with us, Nigel. I know that I'm a reflective SOB so this made me smile and ponder similar things. Thank you.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
thanks for writing this, nigel. it's been a pleasure to read. reminds me of the hours of joy when I've helped my girl and relatives in putting together books of old scanned photos to commemorate the years passed and the many fine memoeries of friends and family together :)
/jonas

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
Very nice article. Lovely to have things like that with so many memories attached. Thank you for sharing.

A few years ago my gran gave me a really old kodak brownie that my was my granddads. I then used it to take pics of the family and gave them all back to her, which I really enjoyed doing.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
Thanks Nigel, a lovely reminiscence.

Recently, I've spent a fair bit of time thinking about my late mum and dad. I've no partcular reason to do so - though maybe as I approach my 51st birthday I'm starting to become aware of my own mortality more than I used to be. "We're only immortal for a limited time" as the lyric goes....

My earliest recollection of photography / cameras is one of my dad pointing his Rolleiflex at me and my mum when I was 4 or 5 years old (in the mid-60's) when we were at a local fair while we were living in North Wales. Those times are a bit of a blur generally and I completely understand your comments rearding that bunch of flowers / visit to the dairy as some of the things I "remember" could also be part fantasy - though they feel very real to me.

The box of photos (it was a BIG box) and negatives I had of my mum, dad and other relatives - along with several years worth of photos I took from the point where I got interested in photography - simply "disappeared" at the time my ex and I went our separate ways. Of all the things I no longer have, I miss them the most.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:45:26 AM »
Great essay Nigel...  :)

I'm glad you have the chance to keep the camera (which by the way is beautiful...) that once belonged to you grandfather. When I was around five I remember playing (not taking pictures) with my grandfather's Brownie box ... I wish they had kept the camera :-[

I always think about the history behind the old cameras I bought over the years...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:47:20 AM by sapata »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Beautiful Nigel, thanks for sharing.

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 05:54:26 AM »
thanks for sharing, such a wonderful story on the use of old cameras. never knew if my grand dads were able to use any type of cameras since both of them being farmers. I do have my dad's Minolta XD-5 that I do not exactly remember being used but it did take a lot of photos of me and my family.

it would be a nice project to scan old photos and negatives and create slideshows to present on family occasions.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
Nice, Nigel. Very nice indeed. I'm as sentimental as Phil and this had me reaching for the hanky. I have several Coronets in my collection, but no Granddads anymore. I wish it was the other way round.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
Nice story Nige and I must admit to liking the mood of the images that the lens and yourself create.

LD : You must be pi55ed to lose those memories.

Rgds

Mlr
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:09:25 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton