Author Topic: Recycled Parts  (Read 7172 times)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Recycled Parts
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
The first large format lens I ever bought was a late 1920's Zeiss Tessar 135/4.5 that must have come off a 9x12cm Zeiss Donata.  It cost me £30 in a second hand camera shop in Singapore.  Since I started shooting Whole Plate and 5x7 a few years back the lens has just been sitting around unused, which is a pity as the shutter is excellent and the lens has everything you'd expect from early an uncoated Tessar.  It's capable in a beautiful way.

Well, that's one old part that can be reused.  Cue a broken Cobra tripod, the front fork from a Houghton Folding Klito, (1920's), the ground glass and fresnel from a Speed Graphic, (1950's), the viewfinder from a set of Taron auxiliary lenses, (1960's), the 1/4" thread socket from some unknown ever-ready case, the film back from an alternative version of the Neretta 4x5 that was never completed, knobs leftover after building the Surveyor 4x5, a mini ballhead, and of course some new bellows which were made for the purpose.  Creating a new camera out of old parts just needed a little cobbling, and some casting.

Using a tripod leg instead of a standard focusing rail seemed feasible but I needed some way of attaching the rear standard, hence the casting.  Some piece of plumbing might have done it but I couldn't find any shapes that would fit securely.  I still had some Britannia metal, or pewter, lying around from casting small sculptures years ago.  It does not have a high tensile strength, but it melts at a low temperature, is robust enough to bear weight and easy to fashion.  

So first the mould.

Then the hot metal.

And finally, the functional base for the camera.

Bit by bit it assembled itself, almost.  The rest was aluminium strip from B&Q.  I prefer brass, but that would be too expensive for a parts cam!

The front standard has a free range of movements due to the ballhead, including rise and fall on the fork.  The rear has forward tilt, and just a very slight degree of backward tilt.  The extension runs from 135mm to 250mm for macro work. I also have two other lenses that cover 4x5, a 90mm and a 150mm, but they usually live on other cameras.

Although constructed as a 4x5, in a studio context I might just as often use a 6x7 roll film back.  And Polaroid's are not impossible, (pun, geddit?)

OK, boring test shots on a dark and rainy winter's day, on Wephota NP27, an ISO 400 sheet film, dev'd in Rodinal.  

One shot straight ...

And one shot twisted !!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:27:01 AM by Sandeha Lynch »

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
Re: Recycled Parts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
Wow!

Great Camera and looks as if it will produce some stunning images when you get it out in the wild.

Mike

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
Great work, Sandeha and a thing of beauty too!

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »
Wow! Quality work.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 05:34:39 AM »
in awe

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 08:28:10 AM »
another GREAT creation Sandeha.  Looks superb.  A ball head front standard? interesting.
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 03:04:24 PM »
Spectacular work, with impressive results! Impressed. Skj.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
Glad youse likes the looks of it.   :D

And as soon as the weather improves I'll see how practical it is with cold fingers outadoors.

It's not the first time I've used a ballhead ...

8)

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »
It's gorgeous, Sandeha, I love the golden bellows, which gives the whole thing a classy air.  Wish I had some DIY skills, I'd be a-doin' it mesel', f'r sure!
Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
That's an awesome camera you built there. I can only imagine what would happen when I had those DIY skills. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take any pictures anymore ;)

Urban

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »
excellent article - very well done - looks great !

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
mighty impressive work! and it looks good to boot :)
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
Further outings ...

This last shot has prompted me to dig deeper into the parts bin to make one in portrait format.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Great stuff, Sandeha!

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
very impressive - and produces the goods !