Author Topic: Glamour Ink (NSFW)  (Read 6520 times)

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
Glamour Ink (NSFW)
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
I've always been fascinated by tattooed women.  It may date back to my obsession with the Marx Brothers, and Groucho's famous song, "Lydia the Tattooed Lady", I don't know.  However the case, my photographer's eye is always on the lookout for attractive women with tattoos, and I'm not shy about asking them to pose for me.  After all, if they're willing to bare their skin for the artist's needle, they're more often than not equally unshy about baring their skin for the camera.  Anyway, here is a selection of my favorite photos, all shot on film, of course, using many different cameras.

Julia gets two photos here.  She had only one tattoo, but it was lovely and self-designed.  The first pic was shot on expired Plus-X Pan with a Kodak Medalist II, in studio with tungsten lighting.  The second one was shot on new film stock (unknown), with a Six-20 Brownie Model D:

Kym is a little bitty thing, with several tattoos.  Our shoot was very fun and productive.

Teresa had two tattoos, but this one was far better than the other:

Brooke has more tattoos now, but only the one when we had our shoot:

Sixmarie was actually a make-up artist and hair stylist, not a model, but she went along willingly enough:

What I love about these pics of Kim Black (not the same Kym as above) is that they were all shot indoors with available light from two windows:

Cassandra's a US Navy sailor who was getting ready to transfer overseas.  I'm glad I met her before she left -- those turtles on her back are the most unique tattoos I've seen in a long time.

Almost last, but not least, is Angie, a sailor's wife (and you should see the husband, it's hard to say who has more ink) who jumped at the chance of getting "documented."

And to end the show, here's one of Angie's husband:

Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Glamour Ink (NSFW)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
Hi nice subjects for sure! I have my shirts made by Daddy-O...

Not sure if its your scanning, but for some reason the dynamic range looks really compressed in some images - little grays, and shifts into black very quickly. The first two for example display a nice range of gray, but some of the last ones are rather loose on their grays.

Thanks regardless, an interesting project. Skj.

f6point3

• f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
Hi Skorj, thanks for your comments.  The "Daddy-O" refers in this case to Angie's father, and the tattoo was a tribute to him.  "That's my dad's wrench", she said, when I asked her about it.

I really don't understand what you mean by "loose" when you speak of the grays.  I'm not the one scanning these, so it's not me, I swear.  Some of the lighting was set up to be intentionally harsh, so the whites are very white and the blacks are very black.
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
Works for me.  The series can grow for as long as people say yes.  How about trying to photograph when someone is having a tattoo done - a female artist and model.

f6point3

• f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:43:54 AM »
Carl, that's a very interesting idea.  Definitely worth looking into, thanks!

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »
Pete

Agree these make a lovely set.

Have you considered making any images in colour? Particularly if the tattoo themselves have strong colours.

or even partial colouring\tinting the tattoos.

Mike

f6point3

• f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
No, my theme is black & white.  I have tinted some (see above), but went with an all-over tint.  It was mostly an experiment, and I decided I liked the fully b&w better.  Thanks for your comments!