Author Topic: Photo Essay - My neighbour Reg - Man of the Dales  (Read 4069 times)

Wensleydale Blue

Photo Essay - My neighbour Reg - Man of the Dales
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
Here's a sequence that I did a few years ago for a course in photography that I was studying.  The idea behind the assignment was to try and shoot in the style of a photographer you liked.  These were my attempt at shooting a la Bill Brandt.  Reg was a sweet and kind man who passed away last year and I now have a large print of him on my study wall as a tribute to him.

G

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
Re: Photo Essay - My neighbour Reg - Man of the Dales
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:16:53 PM »
Nice Series of images.

Not really familiar with Bill Brandt work so no idea whether you succeeded in emulating his style.

Mike

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »
Nice series  -  the first pic is a lovely portrait

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Nice work!  Very good contrasty pics.  The 2nd one is a little strange, in that the sheep is in a position that reminds me of a Terry Gilliam animation from Monty Python:)  Plus, he (the sheep), looking directly at the camera, appears to want to comment on his odd plight.  This is my favorite of the three, naturally.
Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

Soap

• Edge of the world
    • Noir
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
The first one is ASTONISHING. I figured people stopped making real life portraits and do croppy 80mm headshots now. I absolutely salute you for capturing that beautiful essence of a man who had a time and place now immortalized as a piece of art that holds real emotions! Bravissimo!  :o
35mm -  - Olympus OM10 - Nikon F3HP
-
120 - Minolta Autocord I
-
Photoblog
http://steveninn.tumblr.com/
500PX
http://500px.com/Steveninn

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »
These remind me - in a very good way - of the work of humanitarian photographer, Jean Mohr. Very nice...

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »
Lovely shots, Graham. Difficult to pick out a favourite from three such seriously good photos. The first name that sprang to mind when I saw them was James Ravilious but I can see a Bill Brandt-esque style there, too.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".