Author Topic: Camino de Finisterre  (Read 4762 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Camino de Finisterre
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
The Camino de Finisterre is a path running from Santiago de Compostela to Cabo de Finisterre on the Galician coast.  The camino was the original finale of the Camino de Santiago, the famous medieval pilgrimage to see the bones of St James held in the cathedral at Santiago.  After venerating the sacred relics, pilgrims would walk the final leg to Cabo Finisterre, the end of the known world, and wash themselves in the Atlantic in an act symbolising their rebirth.  

Cabo Finisterre has always been a highly symbolic place and was a place of pilgrimage in pre Christian times - Roman legionnaires  are reputed to have retired to the nearby city of Dugium in order to be closer to heaven.

These days most pilgrims end their walk at Santiago and take a bus to Finisterre but in doing so miss some of the prettiest countryside in Galicia.  The Camino stretches for just under 90 kms and passes through woodland, fields and the Atlantic coast through traditional villages and over medieval bridges.  It takes three long days to complete, staying in pensiones or albergas along the way and enjoying the local hospitality and excellent food and wine.  

The walk ends at the Atlantic which was not just a geographical barrier but also marked the frontier of the medieval world's knowledge, the limit of their consciousness.  Of course in reality Cabo finisterre was not the end of the world and the New and Old worlds would eventually collide in cataclysmic fashion, the results of which have had a profound effect on our (and their) civilisations.

For the modern pilgrim, as you look across the ocean you can imagine what lies ahead but in reality, just like the medieval pilgrims, we have no idea of what lies ahead of us. The future may be flat or round and only time will tell us which.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: Camino de Finisterre
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »
cont'd

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
cont'd

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »
seems like a wonderfull walk~ I think the toycam effect fitted these images well :)

in all, some very good shots. the views seem massive! I think your clouds turned out great (something I can have troubles with)

btw, that house on pillars sure looks interesting (kinda looks like shrooms! :D ) did you find out what it was for?
/jonas

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:26:05 AM »
Great photographs.

Over the past few month I have listened to a number of travel podcasts talking about Camino de Santiago de Compostela.

However, I had not heard of Camino de Finisterre so this was an education.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 02:04:51 PM »

btw, that house on pillars sure looks interesting (kinda looks like shrooms! :D ) did you find out what it was for?

Thanks for your comments.  The house is a Horreo - it's actually a granary raised off the ground and they are very common in Galicia.  Their origins are actually from Roman times and the mushroom like stones on which they sit (at least the older ones) were designed to keep rats and other rodents from getting in.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
As a new member here I found this photo essays board one of the most interesting feature - and this particular photo essays one of the best for myself personally. Couple of years ago I have walked the whole of Camino Frances - from French Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela - and there I stopped - as I felt the need to "stop". Now thanks to this essay I could at least visually walk to the end of the earth.. It reminds me of how I percieved the paths through rural Galicia..
Thank you.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.