Author Topic: L'Eroica  (Read 6438 times)

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
L'Eroica
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
L’Eroica (‘the heroic’) is a cycling event held once a year in the Chianti region of Italy. First held in 1997, the ride originated as an event aimed at saving the ‘Strada Bianche’ of Tuscany (rough white gravel tracks) from being covered in Tarmac. Now, almost 15 years later, the Strada Bianche still exists (as a permanent waymarked route) and the annual ride attracts around 4,000 entrants from around the world.

L'Eroica 2011 by windy_, on Flickr

It’s not just the white roads that make L’Eroica such a unique and popular event. The ride is restricted to pre-1987 road bikes (no mountain bikes), with steel frames, non indexed ‘down tube’ gear levers, exposed brake cables and good old fashioned toe-clips and straps. Most of the riders even choose to ride in the wool jerseys and shorts; leather helmets and small caps of yester-year............

and some choose what I would consider to be 'fancy dress'!

It was Andrea’s enthusiasm and ‘bullying’ that saw Evelyn and myself getting our 'carnets' stamped and lining up at the start line in Gaiole in Chianti just before 7am on October 2nd 2011. Eve on a  Campagnolo equipped 1961 Eroba Race and me on the renovated Henry Burton (with a few bits of the original kit) that I used to race on back in 1978.

On the day there is the option to choose from one of 4 different distances – 38, 75, 135, and 205km. We opted for the 135km route, with 8 sections of white road totalling almost 60km and 1782m of climbing! In keeping with the period, I carried my trusty Rollei B35 along with 3 rolls of Rollei Retro 100 iso film.

Like an Audax event, proof of completing the route is via a ‘carnet’ - A card that is stamped at ‘check points’ along the route. At L’Eroica, checkpoints are classed as a ‘ristoro’ and at each point a feast awaits with fruit, bread, stew, cheese and jams  along with bottles of chianti and grappe! There are 3 ristoros on the 135km route and each provides a welcome break and chance to refuel and rehydrate in the 40C heat.

The toughest part of the course was around the second feed, at Asciano. Coming into the feed the last section of Strade Bianche had a steep and scary descent, with lots of potholes and loose gravel. Leaving the feed we were faced with the ascent of monte Sante Marie – a 12km stretch of gravel road incorporating a 135m ascent in 6.5km. Some (myself included) managed to ride the steep, rutted and gravely climb…

Some (sorry Eve) got off and pushed…………

whilst some carried!

We arrived at the finish in Gaiole at 4.15pm – a 9 ½ hour day - and were presented with a bottle of chianti and a paneforte ‘cake’ as we passed the finish line. Deanne and Andrea waiting with a very welcome cold beer. Personally, (nearly 40yrs after joining my first cycling club) I can’t think of a ride that I’ve enjoyed more. The atmosphere, the challenge, the whole experience of L’Eroica is something not to be missed. Crossing the line, the ‘rush’ through my body made me feel a teenager all over again. – L’Eroica is a MUST for every cycling enthusiast, especially if your heroes are Merckx, Gimondi, Coppi, DeVlaemink (or any of the other ‘real’ cyclists)!

This is one that the Italians beat the Danes too – Probably? No L’Eroica IS THE BEST bike ride in the world!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:59:33 PM by Windy »

Miller

• Sheet Film
Re: L'Eroica
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
Windy

Excellent write up and I was almost peddling in my armchair reading it... The Motogiro d'Italia of the cycling world...

Great pic's and some of those jerseys are gorgeous...

Nuff respect in completing and covering the event...

Mlr
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:55:07 AM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
A great series of photos, Ian and in a beautiful part of the world. Hats off to the pair of you and anything that helps us roll back the years is good in my eyes.

fox

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:51:16 AM »
Fabulous post.

That's when bikes were bikes and riders were ... well hopefully now the sport is drug free.

What a great set of photographs, along with a very interesting narrative. You should be head hunted by Reynolds Tubing to boost retro bicycle sales.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Complimenti. 

There's nothing like a fine photostory, but always so much stronger in black and white.

byron

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:32:50 AM »
As someone who has recently rediscovered the pure joy of riding a bicycle, I greatly enjoyed this essay. Thank you for sharing! I felt like I was there.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:49 AM »
what an event~ you've shown me some compelling photos here, inspiring for my plans with preparing for the swedish ski marathon; vasaloppet.

I hadn't thought of bringing a camera with me but now I probably will :)
/jonas

UK Roger

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
14 months and I still keep coming back to this fantastic post!  Great event, great photos.  Any chance of a 2012 update? 

ambaker

L'Eroica
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
I just stumbled across this.  I'm well past the age for this sort of thing, but find it fascinating.  I second the call for an update.  Beautiful images!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Does your image show what you saw, or how you felt about what you saw?

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
A very enjoyable story and set of images. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one still wearing toeclips - always been too frightened of those modern contraptions.  I'm very much more of a potterer than a racer but justify my slow speed by pretending I am continually looking for photo opportunities.