Author Topic: Olympus Infinity Stylus  (Read 10287 times)

Steven.

• Peel Apart
Olympus Infinity Stylus
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:21:38 AM »
The Olympus Infinity Stylus aka Olympus Mju, is a 35mm p&s camera (older brother of the Olympus Stylus Epic aka Olympus Mju II). It automatically sets the ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture for you. All you need to do is point and shoot!  It has a built in flash (can be turned on/off) and a self timer.

Now you may be asking yourself... "What's so good about something so uncreative?" Well that's what I like about the camera. It does everything automatically so YOU have time to FOCUS on creating a more perfect PICTURE.

It's equipped with a SHARP 35mm f/3.5 (minimum aperture is f/16) lens. I can hear the groans now. "It's highest aperture is ONLY f/3.5?" Well, yes, but the performance more than makes up for the *slightly* slower lens (which rivals the chunkier Yashica T4 in my opinion). The shutter speed goes from 1/15-1/500 which is good enough for most conditions. It also has a very clever clamshell design that makes it very portable and great for shooting street.

In Skorj's Ricoh GR1 review, he called the GR1 his classic camera from the 90s. Well this is mine. I bring mine virtually everywhere and it remains to be a very reliable workhorse (till the batteries die that is). The best part is that if it breaks for some reason, they can be had for literally 1/10 of the price of the GR1 (although you do give up some features, but not enough to be a deal breaker).

If you see one in a thrift store somewhere, BUY IT!

Thanks for reading!

(all images are mine except the 1st one of the actual camera itself  ;) )

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Olympus Infinity Stylus
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:14:50 AM »
this is a camera I enjoy to. great for quick snaps on the go -so it almost always sits as an extra in the bag I always carry with me. I used to use the olympus xa3 for this kind of stuff but this one feels more like a beater! + I wouldn't be as sorry if I broke my mju ;)

anyway, good review! :)
/jonas

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »
Yes, that's a nice camera. And f/3.5 isn't that bad when you think about it. What would you do with a shallower depth of field on a camera with so few controls anyway. And the slowest shutter speed of 1/15 (I think) means that you can hand-hold at all shutter speed. The only thing I don't like is that you have to turn off the flash every time you turn the camera on.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »
jojonas- thanks. this is THE beater camera. even though its cheap if it broke i would feel kind of bad though lol.

urbanhafner- yes i walk and shoot at the same time and get usable shots (the 4th picture down for example). the flash thing used to annoy me but its become 2nd nature to disable it once the shell opens :)