Author Topic: The Shuto.  (Read 10530 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
The Shuto.
« on: September 18, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »

Tokyo’s Metropolitan Expressway — Shuto Kōsoku Dōro (or just the Shuto) — is Tokyo’s answer to handling large volumes of traffic traversing the megalopolis.

The first sections were opened in time to showcase Tokyo for the 1962 Olympics. Not designed as an unlimited speed road, its main purpose was to ferry cars around at moderate speeds, unhindered by the non-car friendly Tokyo streets above and below.

While some sections snake alongside rivers, or behind buildings at ground level, most of the road sections are elevated above ground, or tunnel under major areas such as the Imperial Palace or other surface roads.

Many sections of road deck are multi-layered, often consisting of four or more roads, stacked on top of each other. Because of limitations of the landscape, buildings, subterranean infrastructure (other roads and train lines), the often convoluted elevated sections, tunnels, dividers, ramps, interchanges, and tollbooths all conspire to enhance the legend of the Shuto as being a challenging road to drive, at any speed.

The Shuto also includes the Tokyo Wan Aqualine, a 15km straight-line blast under, and then over, Tokyo Bay (wan) to Chiba. The Aqualine used to be a “private” road, built by private interests and with a toll value set at the wish of the operator. Like many private roads in Japan (such as the Atsugi Toll Road to Fuji-san), they used to be un-policed for speed limits. This open status promoted street racing gangs, sometimes badging themselves with ’250′ or ’300′ patches – representing their supposed topped-out kilometer-per-hour speed achievements on public roads.

Sadly, or perhaps for the better, speed limits on private toll roads are now policed — not before I was able to enjoy nailing the throttle on a Ferrari V8, roof down, in a vain attempt to chase down some hairdresser in his RX-7. I am not sure what sounded better; the five-valve V8 from Modena, or the Hiroshima rotary cracking and spitting fire on the over-run as we screamed through the tunnel section. At some ridiculous speed though, I chickened out, and watched the RX-7 disappear into the distance.

While street racers have used sections for racing, notably the Bayshore (Wangan) sections, the Shuto gained global exposure with the 1998 release of Shutokou Battle, a Dreamcast console game - known as Tokyo Extreme Racer in the US - accurate for its representation of the Shuto’s layout, down to being able to see my old apartment as you raced past at high speed. I still wake in the middle of the night when hearing a loud exhaust, thinking perhaps I am still in my bed next to the Akasaka-Roppongi-Knot (‘ARK’), a particularly notorious set of bends known to claim the unwary.

Working nearby to the Shuto, and while enjoying car talk at work one day, one of the senior managers — perhaps sixty years of age — commented that he too enjoyed fast cars, driving a Legacy Turbo. As a joke I asked, “So Tanaka-san, do you get up at 02:00 and go racing around the Shuto?”

“Of course!” he blurted out rapidly, looking at me as if I was mad to even ask such a question.

One notable site for all car types to congregate is the Shuto’s Daikoku Futo – halfway between Yokohama and Tokyo on the Wangan route.

With no other facilities except a gas station and some fast food sellers, it is perhaps a natural place to congregate and enjoy the sounds of fast cars screaming overhead on the elevated sections.

The Parking Area (“PA”), on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays is often full of interesting rides. Not only for legendary Japanese cars, but bikes too, and the Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini clubs sometimes show up, as do a regular smattering of bosozoku and general shakotan style aficionados.

On the access roads outside the PA, in front of the local koban, less responsible drivers have been known to practice their mountain drifting skills. The massive tire marks, rubber-marbles in the gutter, and the sometimes dinged guard-rail, are all obvious signs of some serious drift work.

YouTube has numerous postings, including the bemused police in their koban, and their attempts to shut the drifters down.

The new Yamate Tunnel adds another 10.9km of fun to the run from Ikebukero to Meguro. It features some remarkable engineering, including a 12 level climb from the subterranean run to nine levels above ground to join the Chuo Expressway at Hatsudai – this roller coaster ride up and down alone is worth the ¥700 entrance fee.

While I ride the Shuto two or three times per week, commuting on my barge-like Maxam big-scooter, the best time of course is as recommended by Tanaka-san in his Subaru; late evenings, or early mornings. Chasing the fire-breathing RX-7s and GT-Rs is a lot more pleasurable when I can forget the camera, and enjoy the wail of my Audi V8, a Nissan in-line six, or a high-revving Mazda rotary next to me as we scream through the tunnels and wind through the many routes around Tokyo.

All at the recommended speed limit of course.

This piece first appeared on Japanese Nostalgic Car.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:18:06 AM by Skorj »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: The Shuto.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Fantastic Black Cat, thanks for sharing this urban tale!

Soap

• Edge of the world
    • Noir
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
Wow, a really enjoyable read and the photographs match the words completely in style.
35mm -  - Olympus OM10 - Nikon F3HP
-
120 - Minolta Autocord I
-
Photoblog
http://steveninn.tumblr.com/
500PX
http://500px.com/Steveninn

tuanhbui

• 35mm
    • lightcomesthrough
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »
That is a nice set of photos and text (: And very evocative - don't I wish I had a ferrari to chase rx7s in!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Superb stuff Mark.  Really good read and pictures.
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
Damn! Great stuff on all levels  ;D

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »
Keep meaning to come here and post a response but I keep getting sidetracked.

Anyway, Skorj, love, love, love this essay!!! Very intriguing pictures and the stories along with it. One of the best photo essays I've ever seen. Love it!
mojave

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
Very nice one!
I especially like the lead photo!

Are the rest done with the GR-1?

Fab all around.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »
I'm not a big car person, but this series held me enraptured!  What an exciting set!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 03:16:33 AM »
I especially like the lead photo!
Thanks! My fave too. Polaroid 665 from my office window..

Are the rest done with the GR-1?
The ones from my bike are GR-1 yes, the others (such as night shots) are generally my Bessa 21mm. Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
I'm not a big car person, but this series held me enraptured!  What an exciting set!
ditto that! a terrific write up with coherent excellent shots to go along. and to top it off, that last shot~ it's almost like a cross, towering over the city. a religion with souls that reside up above, with their own way of life.. an escape from the daily drill :)
/jonas

kht

• 35mm
  • Light + Feelings
    • KTV
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »
Love the Polaroid 665 shots..the mix of old film and super modern highway is an interesting and contradictory mix.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »
Great series of images.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:02 AM »
Does this still go over the nihonbashi bridge?  I heard they were going to move it a few years ago. (I guess I could google this, but since it's kind of on topic...)

Great set of photos BTW.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
Does this still go over the nihonbashi bridge?  I heard they were going to move it a few years ago. (I guess I could google this, but since it's kind of on topic...)

It does. A ghastly mistake if there ever was one... You can see that segment in the first photograph above closest to the camera (just behind my work). It was Koizumi who proposed the relo, but like much in Japan, that idea has stalled. More of it here:

The central road marker for the 0km road distances is both on the Nihonbashi bridge in the middle of the road, and on the overhead Shuto segment. Skj.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:58:21 PM by Skorj »