Author Topic: Loreo Lens in a Cap... Short review & results...  (Read 11927 times)

Miller

• Sheet Film
Loreo Lens in a Cap... Short review & results...
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »

I guess most of us have a 35mm SLR hanging around that doesn’t see much action so when I spied the LOREO Lens in a Cap/body cap for SLR cameras at a paltry £15.00 I was in.  

It was also a way of making the SLR more simplified for my 7 year old to take snapshots with a ‘real’ camera when he rides shot gun with me. The focal length is 35mm and the aperture is adjustable from f/5.6 through to f/64 and fits eight common mount types.

Also referred to as a pin cap starting from the f/5.6 setting which soften the lens and sharpens at f/64 and giving good depth of field. Though I would say it's not quite the 'pinhole' look.

I can say that it’s a fun and easy way to get a child involved. On a cameras Auto setting there is only the aperture to set being reasonably easy to explain on the Loreo with its simple turning disc and bold type.

The Ilford Delta 400 film was sent off for Dev and Printing and Caelan hassled me near each day for our results.

I like his results on these and he's hope my gear doesn’t end up at a Camera Fair/yard sale when I kick the bucket.

Rgds

The Miller's

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:05:54 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Loreo Lens in a Cap... Short review & results...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »
nice! I've heard about these before, I think ed has one?
definitely a good way to get into photography. I bet he appreciates getting to use a "real" camera.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
I think Ed has the Stereo one.
I've always looked at these things with one side of me who really wants one and the other who can't get itself to fork out the money for one...

For one thing, it must be great for street photography where working fast is mandatory...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
I like this a lot! Dang, so many gadgets and so little money!!!
mojave

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
I have the stereo one and I want to shoot more with it. (on a Nikon FE2!  ;D ) I want to get this one for Pentax M42 mount. I might have to get one soon.  The thing I don't like about the FE2 is that when the battery is gone the shutter is done too.  :-\

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:32:13 PM by xscribe »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
It doesn't have a fixed mechanical shutter speed at 1/90 like the FE? On mine, the speed is labeled M90
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »
It has that at M250 :( I went out shooting with this one day to test out a new lens. The Mir16mm and I was very upset when all the rolls were blurry.  >:(

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »
Excellent review Miller, and very happy to hear that Caelan is learning the ropes from someone like you that loves and appreciates film and cameras!

I have this lens too and love it!

You are correct in saying it's not quite pinhole at F/64.  I found this to be the case also, but do like the idea of having a cheap lens for my F2 since it's so light weight!

Thanks for posting!  And cheers to Caelan for riding shotgun!

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
Might google these then.  I have a Pinhole cap on an old Zenit but this looks a bit more versatile  ;D

My children are all now older and look at me like I'm mental  ;D

Where did you procure the mighty item ?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:54:52 PM by Miles »

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »
Got mine direct from Loreo but can be found on the Bay:-

http://www.loreo.com/pages/shop/loreo_products_online.html

Came quickly and I have to agree with Beck in that it makes a SLR nice and light. My boy found it easy around his neck...

To be honest the pics on the site and FlickR did not really inspire but I dig it now...

Mines a keeper and it keeps the Nikon internals nice and clean to boot...  ::)

It's so dang cheap, you know you wanna...

Mlr
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »
These are pretty good shots Miller... didn't know about that at all.

OH NO!... a good reason to buy another SLR... ;)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Mauricio: You can buy the lens in a cap for various different SLR systems. If you already have a 35mm SLR, you'll probably be able to find a Loreo lens that works with it. But don't let me stop you from buying another camera  ;)

Miller: Great review and I like anything which points young children to film cameras. I love that your lad was hassling you to get the prints back. Awesome! Proper excitement. I'll leave this post here for a few days and then move it over to the Articles board if that's OK with everyone.

Finally, I'm a big fan of Loreo and do indeed have one of their stereo lenses for my K-mount Pentax SLRs. I have often thought about getting a proper 40mm pancake lens for them to slim down the camera on a road trip or similar, but the lens in a cap may actually be a better option. Cheaper for sure and I really like these results.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 12:59:25 AM »
i just picked up one of these and was wondering what the focus range is. i saw one review say that is from half a meter to infinity at all apertures. is that true?

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
Great review and anything that gets kids wanting to use film is always  good. That anticipation is good as well in these days of instant gratification - nice one.