Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a decent Monopod  (Read 2266 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Can anyone recommend a decent Monopod
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »
I want to buy a monopod so would be interested to hear people's recommendations.  It needs to be light and sturdy (as it will be strapped to the back of my rucksack).

I have an old Manfrotto ball head so I would like a monopod that's compatible with that (unless it comes with it's own head).  I've seen some models that have three little legs that come out of the bottom - do these actually aid stability?

I'm planning to use it with my holga pinhole camera so it doesn't need to take a huge amount of weight

Price wise I'm looking for something that's mid range (circa £50) and available in the UK.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Can anyone recommend a decent Monopod
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:23:34 PM »
I don't know if you ever used a monopod before but they're far from being as stable as a tripod. The only thing I find them useful for is supporting the weight of the camera or lens. Instead of shaking vertically, the camera tends to do "waves" around the center pole. Just try and hold a broom upside down and notice how it makes your body move... you'll get my point.

As for tripods and monopods, I'm a Manfrotto guy. I like the locks on their legs even though I've pinched myself more than once on mine.

Gitzo is good but they use twist locks I find less user friendly (especially with frozen fingers). Also, they have small lower leg extensions which I'm doubtful of...

I know Damion has a tripod from Red Snapper and as I last heard of it, he was happy with the quality.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
I have a Manfrotto 650B, but honestly don't use it that much.
It's nice, lightweight and will fit the bill for carrying with a pack, plus it's very sturdy.
B&H has them for just less than $60 USD.

Most of my shots, except for pinhole are handheld, so the monopod mostly serves as a method to fend off onery dogs when I hike.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »
I have a Manfrotto 679B with a Manfrotto 234 head. It's solid and will do the job. I checked out the ones with the little legs and I wouldn't want to leave anything expensive or fragile supported at the top of a monopod with so little to stop it falling over. The ground would have to be VERY solid and level and there be no wind whatsoever.

It's been used once, maybe twice, and is pretty much "as new". Now that I have a lightweight travel tripod that converts into a monopod, I no longer need the monopod. If you're interested, I'd be happy to let it go for £40 which is about £20 off what they cost new.

I'm based in north Essex, UK. Please PM me if you're interested.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:34 PM »

I'm based in north Essex, UK. Please PM me if you're interested.

Paul.

Paul,

Thanks for the offer - I'm actually not too far from you - on the Herts/Essex border.  However, am having second thoughts on the monopod issue.  I may just as well go for a travel tripod instead.   They seem just as light as a monopod and will be easier to use.

I am off to Spain again in a couple of weeks to do a 4 day hike and want to take some pinhole shots and IR shots (with my Holgas) so it doesn't need to be able to bear much weight.   A travel tripod is probably going to be more practical and by the looks of thing on Amazon, alot cheaper.

Thanks anyway to everyone for their suggestions.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:10 PM »
Manfrotto makes some tasty looking ones that are all carbon fiber :)
It'll add some sports car feel to your Holga for sure!
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
Hi Charles.

My wife got me a "Three Legged Thing Brian X-1" travel tripod. They're very similar to the Gitzo Traveller but about a third of the cost. One of the legs detaches and re-attaches to the centre column / head to become a tripod. If you can stretch to one of these, I can definitely recommend them.

So, you live in Bishop's Stortford (or nearby) then? I'm the other side of Stansted in Braintree.

All the best for the trip to Spain.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »

So, you live in Bishop's Stortford (or nearby) then? I'm the other side of Stansted in Braintree.

All the best for the trip to Spain.

Paul.

Thanks - I live in Broxbourne.  Just bought a Hama Star 75 for £9 on Amazon.  Should be just the ticket!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »
sports car holga, I wouldn't want to sit in that on a tight curve! :D

edit: it had to be done :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:32:08 AM by jojonas »
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
 ;D ;D
Francois