Author Topic: Carandiru Prison  (Read 9176 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
Carandiru Prison
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
Back In November 2002 I had the opportunity to visit what once was the largest prison in South America. The Carandiru prison was located in Sao Paulo Brazil and was built to held 500 inmates when opened in the 50’s, but had about 7.000 until its final days.

It was the site of the Carandiru Massacre in October 1992 where at least 111 prisoners were killed by police after a riot broke out in the 9th Pavilion, although witnesses claims that around 300 were killed on that day.

In December the 9th  2002 the complex was demolished to become a youth park, it was open to the public weeks before so thousands of people could had the chance to get inside of the several pavilions, although the 9th was closed.

All pictures were taken with my Rolleiflex SL35 and captures the site as it was right after the prisoners were reallocated to a new building. It was a bit like a war zone, there were personal objects and clothes all around, almost as if the site had been suddenly evacuated.

"Photography"

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:33:38 AM by sapata »

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
Re: Carandiru Prison
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
Very moving story Sapata and very dramatic pictures. My favorite is the really dark shot of the pillows and blanket. Seems so creepy to me, thinking about the massacre.
mojave

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
Very nice pictures sapata. Is really cool that you got to be there before they tore the buildding down. Ive read some stuff about the prision about the ingenuity of the inmates, how they made weapons and utensils and even brew cachaça in there.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
Very moving story Sapata and very dramatic pictures. My favorite is the really dark shot of the pillows and blanket. Seems so creepy to me, thinking about the massacre.

Thank you Erin...

Very nice pictures sapata. Is really cool that you got to be there before they tore the buildding down. Ive read some stuff about the prision about the ingenuity of the inmates, how they made weapons and utensils and even brew cachaça in there.

Thank you Lino... I had just arrived from UK at the time and it was the very last day it would be open to the public before they knock the building down...

There are some awful stories about the place as well on the film based on Dr. Drauzio Varella's book,  is worth watching.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »
Great set of words & photographs. Such a stark view, especially with the story that goes with the photographs. Thanks. Skj.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »
Great set of words & photographs. Such a stark view, especially with the story that goes with the photographs. Thanks. Skj.
Thanks for your kind words Skorj... :)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
Wow! What a great set of shots truly telling a story of a place that (I presume) is now no more, a more fitting eulogy you could have wished for,both haunting and mesmerising in equal measures - thanks for sharing!

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
Wow! What a great set of shots truly telling a story of a place that (I presume) is now no more, a more fitting eulogy you could have wished for,both haunting and mesmerising in equal measures - thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

Yes, the place it's gone thankfully! Now that I'm back in Sao Paulo I drove near by the other day and it's really great to see that people are making the most of the park... :)

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
Excellent series!  I'll bet the entire building was heavy with emotions and residual energy from the relocated inmates.  Your photos give a sense of that, a palpability.
Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)