Author Topic: World Suicide Prevention Day – Aokigahara Jukai and the Sea of Trees.  (Read 11059 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
It is hard to write about suicide. Why a person chooses to take their life. What happens to those left behind. The depression. The guilt. The shame. The helplessness…

Each year, one million people choose to take their own life- the old, the young, males, females; people from all backgrounds and nationalities. Additionally, for every one person who completes suicide, sadly many more attempt suicide - making a continuing impact on individuals, families and the community.

Aokigahara Jukai - The Sea of Trees, has a declining suicide rate.

Beyond the usual sensationalist reporting, what is known is suicide is not a pointless or random act, or a defect of character; over 90% of people who died by suicide had clinical depression or another diagnosable mental disorder at the time.

Depressive disorders caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, make a person feel exhausted, worthless, alone without friends, and hopeless. Suicide becomes an option when a person’s ability and resources to cope with the pain of mental illness becomes unbearable. To those struggling with clinical depression, suicide can appear to be an answer to what feels like at the time an insoluble problem and a way out of the unbearable pain and suffering.

Small paths lead off into the distance.

These imbalances can lead to the person not understanding the options available to help them that can help relieve their suffering. In Japan, economic concerns that lead to unemployment or financial worries, having health concerns, and being elderly & alone represent some of the major risk factors for developing depression.

Alone, without reference, everything looks different and confusing. There appears to be no way out.

A suicidal person may not ask for help, but that doesn't mean that help isn't wanted or needed. We can all play an important role in saving lives, by learning more about depression and the warning signs for suicide and reaching out to those struggling with such thoughts. It is also important for us all to realize that depression is a medical illness that can be treated and successfully managed. With support and treatment most people go on to recover, and lead productive lives.

Volcanic rock from nearby Fuji-san, and undulating ground make the area dangerous. Cell phones do not work.

GPS does not work. It is very easy to get lost, and every year they sweep the forest for bodies.

Disasters do not result in an increase in suicides, despite what the mainstream media would like to have us believe to sell more newspapers. Numerous studies based on analytical work support this observation. So, it is very frustrating to see the same old angle being exploited by the ignorant press yet again about recent events here in Japan.

Natural alcoves of rock & trees attracted those feeling depressed. Ghosts in the area adding to the strange feel of The Sea of Trees.

September 10 is World Suicide Prevention Day – and if you’ve been touched by suicide or care about those who may be contemplating suicide, please seek out your local events to support awareness. World Suicide Prevention Day, first started in 2003, and is held annually on September 10 each year co-sponsored by the World Health Organization. It aims to:
•   Raise awareness that suicide is preventable.
•   Improve education about suicide.
•   Spread information about suicide awareness.
•   Decrease stigmatization regarding suicide.

The campaign asks supporters to take any of these five steps:
•   Learn the warning signs for suicide.
•   Join the online movement to prevent suicide.
•   Spread the word (like this).
•   Support a friend.
•   Reach out if you need help.

Numbered trees are needed to allow safe navigation. The terrain is far too rough to allow walking in a straight line, and getting lost a few meters from the path is a real possibility.

Most importantly if you are struggling with thoughts of suicide, reach out because there are those around you that care.

On our first visit, we attempted to escape the grip of Aokigahara Jukai and 45 minutes later came across our own footsteps in the snow... We had to form a relay line, shouting to each other to navigate what we thought was a straight line. It took another hour or more to get out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:21:56 PM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: World Suicide Prevention Day – Aokigahara Jukai and the Sea of Trees.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:44:36 AM »
Geez, make me feel bad about the kittens and clowns essay I've been planning!

All seriousness aside...err, I mean joking... Nice essay and shots. Suicide is one of those things that I imagine only those that consider I can truly understand. Me, I'm all about life and making the best of my surroundings, but sometimes I think about some of my patients and what they go through, and the total lack of of quality of life that many have, and wonder how I would feel in the same situation. And those are extreme examples of poor health. I knew a bookstore owner who killed himself basically because of a broken heart. The state of mind to carry out such an act is beyond me, and I occasionally wonder if someone could have said something to change his mind...

Anyway, nice shots and thoughtful essay. Nice buroni action!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:51:32 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
Geez, make me feel bad about the kittens and clowns essay I've been planning!
Hold those scary clowns, they creep me out. But, bring on those koneko!

(Thanks for reading regardless. Other household members are working the agenda for the September 10 Tokyo events.)

Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
well written, didn't know about the day. the trees along with the text makes it more bearable to read. like it'll be alright... the cross story with that forest is quite something too. so calming yet so trecharous. reminds me of the book kafka on the shore.

so yeah, thanks for sharing.. kodus for caring :)

sean: I'll be looking forward to those kittens! :D
/jonas

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »
Beautiful images Skorj, and a moving read. Reaching out and saving a life can be as simple as paying for a strangers dinner. This happened with the Premier Grandmaster of the kung fu system I train. He was out having dinner with his wife and saw a man sitting alone at a table having dinner. The PGM told his waiter that he would like to pay for the mans meal and the waiter took care of it. Later, at the end of his meal, the man stopped by the PGM's table to thank him. He was visibly upset and told the PGM that he had planned to go home and kill himself after his dinner because his wife had recently left him, but the kindness of a stranger made him change his mind.

A friend and coworker of mine wasnt so lucky and shot himself in his garage after his wife left him. He had two sons. I still miss talking with him about scifi novels and sharing a bit of taffy after lunch.

Being aware of suicide instead of brushing it under the rug is an important first step to helping others. Thank you for this thoughtful essay.
mojave

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:42:53 PM »
Nice to see this posted  -  good info for all to read and really nice images to add.

It is a real problem here in Ireland affecting mostly young Males.

With the growing hardship and unemployment it can only get worse I fear.

I remember back in the 80's when I was just leaving my teens here in Ireland if there
was a case suicide in a family it was seen as some sort of shamefull act,
I myself didnt know untill many years after my Aunt died that she had comitted suicide,
it just wasnt talked about freely...
but in todays society I think it is understood more - thankfully!

Thanks skorj.

Alan

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »
A very moving piece.

As jojonas mentioned, with the images of the trees, it almost seems like everything will work out, but we know that to be the contrary.
I was aware of the day, a brother of one of my friends killed himself just because he was behind in child support payments.  Such a senseless loss.
A school mates mother shot herself when she discovered her husband was having an affair.  It happened when we were in elementary school and I was bewildered at the time at how such a lovely mother and wife, and our "room mother" in school could take her own life so violently.
Another senseless loss.
Senseless to me that is.  To them it must have been their most desperate time.
But still, it makes me wonder if just a kind word to them would have changed the outcome.
These things haunt me. 
Thanks for posting and sharing this touching essay.

admiral.asthma

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »
Quote from: Skorj
Depressive disorders caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, make a person feel exhausted, worthless, alone without friends, and hopeless. Suicide becomes an option when a person’s ability and resources to cope with the pain of mental illness becomes unbearable. To those struggling with clinical depression, suicide can appear to be an answer to what feels like at the time an insoluble problem and a way out of the unbearable pain and suffering.

First I want to say that I like the images and the story.

Secondly I think your view on depression is extremely biological and I think your explanation of what causes depressive disorders is only partial as all the psychosocial aspects are left out the discussion. The hen and the egg you know... Actually to me the quote above appears to straight out of a commercial from Big Pharma - 'Take your pill and everything will be alright'. But people are suffering and there is no magic cure. I have been in the business too long to know. Psychiatric drugs doesn't automatically solve your problems as your gaba, noradrenaline, serotonin or dopamine levels are adjusted. At best, these medications can help you live a better live than without them. At worse, these drugs can worsen your condition considerably, so bad that you 'choose' to take your own life. I have had my fair share of suicide, near and dear ones have passed away far too early, many of them undergoing some kind of professional treatment - stoned out of their minds on a variety of modern psychiatric drugs they have jumped in front trains, drowned themselves or simply been taking an overdose. I am not saying that you should stay away from professional treatment. I am saying it is very complicated.

Thank you Skorj for lifting the subject.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »
nice write up Skorj!

I took the pictures of trees very differently, however.

The way I see it, the trees, although tall and mighty, can also be very thin and fragile. When one tree falls, the others watch silently as it slowly withers and decays on the ground. Leaves being the tears they drop for their lost friend. As enough trees die, a forest of life can become a forest of death. Even the trees that remain standing that look alive are really dead on the inside.

That's just my view anyways!  ;)

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
Beautiful pictures. The text does bring a gloomy atmosphere to them afterwards.

I'm not trying to joke here, but it felt like when I watched my neighbour totoro again after hearing about the murder related rumors about the movie...

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
I am touched but so many stories told about suicides.

I like how you approached the issue Skorj, with respect and gravity but with hope.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 01:23:14 AM »
What a touching series, Skorj.  The images juxtapose to your storytelling in such a powerful way.

kht

• 35mm
  • Light + Feelings
    • KTV
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:41:53 AM »
I first heard of this place from Dsankt. The wonderful images of creeping vines, overgrown moss and trees had me thinking about all sorts of things, except suicide.

Depression exists the world over, but I think people take their lives in vastly different ways which reflect cultural values. When I think of suicide here, I think of people jumping infront of trains, bridges, etc. This is probably the one place I think people can go to and feel most alone.

I really liked this essay because you combined nice pictures with subject matter that can really only be described clinically as it doesn't trivialize a condition that many don't even consider a real illness/disability.