Author Topic: FM2n vs F6 update  (Read 1268 times)

DaveO

FM2n vs F6 update
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:12:28 PM »
     Well, I took both of these cameras to my son's house to photograph our grandson!
First I went to the camera store and bought a roll each of Portra 160 & 400. I put the 160 in my FM2n and shot the whole roll over 3 days. The pictures were very slightly overexposed, so maybe I should have shot it at ISO 200? I found out about a photo editor on the internet that was free from a person on another forum and was able to adjust them so they looked better. The ISO 400 Portra I loaded into my F6 with my Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and shot it all over the same time period. These came out properly exposed. The meter on the F6 always impresses me. On the FM2n I used my Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 and micro Nikkor 105 f/2.8 lenses. I haven't blown up the images on my computer yet. They are just low resolution scans to CD from Walgreens where I had the film developed.

DaveO

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: FM2n vs F6 update
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »
Glad something came out of it (and mostly glad you ditched the flash).
With color negatives, you're always better slightly overexposing than underexposing anyways.
Underexposing gives muddy colors.

As for the graphic editor, which one are you using?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

DaveO

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:47 PM »
     The editor was pixlr/editor and is free to use online. I looked at what Nikon Capture NX2 can do and was surprised what it was able to do. Amazon sells it for $ 129, which isn't that much more than Elements 9. Plus it works on NEF files which I don't know if elements will.

DaveO

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
@Dave O.

I don't want to drag this thread into the digital mire but, as a long-term Nikon digital user, I cannot recommend Capture NX2 highly enough. It the ONLY piece of software designed to get the most out of NEF files.

Some complain that the user interface is a bit clunky and that it's a bit power-hungry. However, if I want to make subtle changes to JPEG or TIFF files (produced from film scans as well as digi) I find it easier to use the colour point technology than messing around in Photoshop (I use CS3 - badly).

It's your money and your call but, if it's still available as a trial download, it's worth giving a go. Incidentally, it was developed by those nice people at Nik Software for Nikon.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »
For cheapskates like me, there's always Raw Therapee... it's free :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.