Author Topic: A weekend haikyo...  (Read 13735 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
A weekend haikyo...
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:28:19 AM »
Three or so hours North of Tokyo, out in the wilds of Saitama, an old mining town has been slowly abandoned. We first visited this remote haikyo five years ago, and a few weeks ago decided to make the journey back.

Nestled in the mist shrouded mountains, the journey takes you through hand-cut rock lined tunnels, and one part of the road is closed for hours each day, as they shore up the sides of the otherwise treacherous road in. Our second visit a number of years ago was curtailed by a landslide that had covered the single car wide road.

As well as the mining facilities, the village has a post office, a hotel, a general store, a public ofuro, a school, and of course numerous apartment buildings. On a warm and humid day, we started at the elementary school tucked away at the top of the hill.

Its overgrown entrance portico setting the scene for the campus of buildings. Moss covered stairs leading further into the woods, and some seriously spooky buildings.

Other rooms and buildings though, have an ethereal, floating look to them, especially with the summer light streaming though grubby windows, and wet trees above. The school was abandoned in the early 1980s, with perhaps the last classes being held sometimes in the late 1970s.

Though I had intending shooting the exteriors in color, as my previous work was all generally inside stuff on grainy T-Max 3200 & Type-665, I was tempted inside to shoot the interiors as well. Especially with our Sean's advice my Buroni was capable of running hand held down to 1/8 or similar. Loaded with Kodak's marvelous Ektar 100, the 50mm Super Komura imparts a great feel.

Climbing the hills above the main street we discovered a whole series of pre-electricity buildings, though they had a spectacular view out over the valley would have required hardy souls to live in their tatami & shoji construction during the harsh winters. Climbing the hill alone, after a hard day in the mines, even after a bath in the public ofuro would have been difficult.

At the bottom of the hill, a community hall, fire station, and some more comfortable apartments have held up well to the years, protecting much as it was when the last residents departed perhaps 30 or 40 years ago.

Recent years have seen a number of other foreign explorers in haikyo, and bringing with them their ideas of Western abandoned places exploring; graffiti, smashing stuff, setting off fire extinguishers, throwing goods about for the photo op, and general poor behavior - conforming unfortunately to the Japanese expectations of foreigners. As this location requires a car, beyond the means of the usual itinerant English teacher, thankfully it has remained largely untouched.

The general store's Yakult, ice cream and o-tofu fridges long being turned off.

The clinic holding some particularly interesting looking hardware.

Original occupants left much behind in their apartments. Black & white TVs, radios, washing machines, posters of 1970s and 1980s Japanese idols, cassette players, irons, and the usual household goods. One apartment still has a cupboard full of beer and cheap whiskey.

Our last discovery was another small hall, tucked away over a little bridge. We left this to explore on our next visit.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:34:21 AM by Skorj »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: A weekend haikyo...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:50:52 AM »
What a wooonderful place! The one with the TV is the one I preferred, together with the ones from the school...  ;D  Skorj-BronicaS2 grreat combo  8)

Terry

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:57:33 AM »
Wow.  Magical.  I like the way the clouds are just hanging on the hilltops.  It's a real dreamscape.

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:01:06 AM »
Wow, what a cool place. Amazing photos, i love Your eye and tools. Very nice work.

Nubz

• 35mm
    • Shortfinger Photo
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »
Awesome series!  One could spend months exploring that area for photographic possibilities. 

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:12:27 PM »
Fascinating set of images and dialogue, many thanks for posting them Skorj

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »
Skorj, what a beautiful set of photos, stunning! I would have been like a pig in  sh*t there. I'm always over the moon if I find one or two rooms to photograph, but, a whole village! Thanks for sharing them as a set, they work perfectly.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »
Skorj,

What an amazing piece of history you've beautifully recorded... It's both amazing and hard to believe that places like this still exists. It's hard to pick one favourite image but the TV shot is the one I wish I'd taken!

Is there any reason for this place to be abandoned? I'm curious to know... because I'd never thought I'd see an abandoned town in Japan...

I've never been to Japan but what I know from the media and the Japanese community in my country (which is huge!) is that a piece of land in Japan is very expensive, apparently Tokyo has one of the most expensive square meter in the world and a place like this being just a few hours from Tokyo I'd expected to be very populated already, considering the size of the country X population.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
great stuff as ever.  The story telling through words an pictures is superb.

my fave =
L.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
great stuff! that 50mm komura almost has a pinhole quality. this is where we were planning on heading before the tsunami? next trip!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »
Quite a trip. The images are stunning and the story is quite nice, too!

Urban

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Skorj, first off, thanks for taking the time to talk us through the trip and not just post the photos with a sentence or two to set the scene. As always, your writing is a perfect combination of dry and yet lyrical and it really complements the images.

If forced to choose a fave as a standalone piece, I'm with Leon all the way. Those mossy stairs. Whoah!!

astrobeck

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »
Oh yes, I love them all and the Mossy Stairs are a fav, but a very close second is the TV sitting in that room with the rice paper paneled sliding doors.

I can't stop looking at it and thinking of the yin/yang, east/west, modern/traditional story it tells as a stand alone.

Lovely, lovely stuff.
If I ever ever manage a trip your way I want to go to this place!

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:17:10 PM »
He never lets us down.

Really strong stuff there.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 01:58:21 AM »
Thanks all for the comments; I would often like to take the time to document more than just a flat set of photographs, with time being the major factor - or lack of. I will however try more regularly to do just that.

Others may of course care to do this as well; from the work I've seen presented here from space, to Texas, and the sands of Brighton, we've all got our thing and the places we visit are often well known and can be expressed by those that photograph. So, if you have a series and some words, feel free to collate & present.

The TV & mossy stairs both are favorites of mine too, thanks. The Ektar gets a really nice feel in low light, and its latitude really making details in a wide range of lighting conditions a positive attribute of this marvelous film.

As to why this village is abandoned, like much of what we explore in Japan, the local industries (mining, manufacturing, etc) are often consolidated, no longer cost effective, or simply no longer needed, so the remote villages simply wither away, as local residents retire or move away themselves. Copper mines close, cement & lime production depletes, sulfur extraction becomes expensive, building stone is replaced with concrete, whale oil is no longer needed...

With something like 90% of Japan heavily mountainous terrain living in these remote areas is difficult with no public transport & local infrastructure. Some places do not even have vending machines!

Sean & a few of us had planned on visiting a few months ago, but as it was so remote, and as we knew some local roads were closed, with the continuing aftershocks, getting stuck in the village or on the roads coming home was a real possibility. We'll have to try again Sean!

We spent these last few days in Fukushima-ken, installing some radiation monitoring equipment, and while I did not take a real camera, I had a GR-1 tucked in my pocket, so will try and post some stuff from a very depressing journey. Thanks all. Skj.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 07:25:44 AM »
Excellent set of pics, lovely :)

chris_n

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »
wow the sheer atmosphere... amazing

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »
the mix of words and photos.. sharpness and blur.. light and shade. it's a real atmosphere you've painted up, something I'm glad that I could take part of :)
thinking back from previous residents, I regret not recording those abandoned places better. thanks for the inspiration! I'll remind myself to take the opportunity next time I get it ;)
/jonas

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »
Thanks Skorj!

I hope you go back for more.  Many wonderful shots to chose from but my pick is the TV image.  Just great.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
What a great photo essay! I sure wish I could go to this place.
mojave

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
 Skorj, you are right, we could all do this. I know that I have several places that I have re-visited over the years in Crete. I will get my thinking head on and try and post something.

I love how you have presented this.

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37:26 PM »
Wow! This is truly wonderful. I have seen abandoned restaurants, small shrines and refreshment shops while hiking in Gifu, which I found to be fascinating, but never something of this scale. Thank you for sharing.

mijonju

• I am not Mijonju, just an impersonator
    • Circle Rectangle
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 03:49:36 AM »

still got more to scan, some i shot with the spinner 360
I LOVE CAMERAS, LIKE A FAT BOY LOVES CHOCOLATE CAKE!

Twitter.
http://twitter.com/circlerectangle

The Mijonju Show
http://www.youtube.com/mijonju

Website
http://www.mijonju.com

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
X-pro, b&w, diverse! I love that tunnel one. Pretty spectacular. Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
nice shots miju~ liking the feel of deja vu in the first. like the same person is walking the road again and again and again..
/jonas

kht

• 35mm
  • Light + Feelings
    • KTV
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 04:26:38 AM »
What a wonderful set! Something about the use of a toy cam, lacking the super sharpness of a regular camera adds to the scene because it's so moody looking.

I'm stunned not only by the lack of damage in these images, but how these buildings seem to be holding up so well with the severe typhoons Japan receives, the earthquakes, etc. It feels like you just stepped back 40 years into those shots.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
Sorry to revive these older threads, but the images here are just too great to leave them unnoticed and uncommented. I seldom enjoy colour series as much as I have enjoyed these.. The slight optical imperfectness works so well with the derelict subjects.. Great essay!
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

zosta

• 35mm
    • nonsempretuttelefoto
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
This is my first post, but I've to...
Wonderful work!
With these photos not only, is possible to travel to remote Japan but also back in time.
The mood is awesome.
Sorry for my poor english.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
The next most impressive picture story on my way through the essay section. And the lens adds a special flavour. Bravo!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
I missed this the first time around! Very beautiful, emotive pictures!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
I too, missed this previously as this was posted before I started participating here, but thanks to Reinhold posting his comments and bumping the thread I've now had a chance to view it. Absolutely wonderful essay. Now I'll have to work my way through the rest of the older photo essays.