Author Topic: Contraption 13: The Dim-Larger  (Read 7972 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Contraption 13: The Dim-Larger
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:55 PM »
Summer is arriving tomorrow, so what better way to start things off than to present you a small contraption I call the Dim-Larger. It's a small rainy day project that requires a bit of electrical knowledge... if you can install a dimmer switch in your home, you can build this one!

It all started with a small problem I had in the darkroom. My enlarger is too bright! Some would say this is a big plus, but in reality it is not. Has anyone tried to dodge and burn a print in 4 seconds flat? Then you get my point. I could close down the lens to increase the times, but it also brings in additional depth of field which extends all the way to the condensers... and every dust speck on it. So it isn't really an option.

I could use neutral density filters... that would work but it's also a bit of a pain to use.

While reading an old darkroom book, I stumbled upon something quite interesting: all professional printers at a local newspapers used to have a dimmer hooked up to their enlarger. This enabled them to use a constant exposure time and vary the exposure by changing the intensity of the light. It also allowed them to exercise their eyes to match each negative. They would process all their prints in batch before leaving and rarely screw-up more than one or two prints a day... Now that is interesting!

So, I set out to build one. I found an old dimmer taped to an old lamp on the side of the road (please don't ask... it was electrocution waiting to happen). I picked it up and went to the electronics store to get a small project box to fit it in. I chose a plastic one so it would be safer to use. I also used a small power bar I got at the dollar store for 2$. It was small and flimsy but had a grounding wire... perfect.

So, I cut the wire in about half and stripped the wires. Drilled two holes on the side of the project box to fit the wires in. To easily locate the dimmer in the box, I removed the button, applied a bit of silver paint to the protruding post and put it in the box. It left a mark where it's supposed to go making drilling this one easy. All that was left was to connect the wires. I used solder but really should have used either wire nuts or crimp-on connectors (they're easier to use).

As a rule of thumb if you live in North America, the white cold wires get connected together. The green ground wires also get connected together. The black wires are the dangerous hot ones. These are connected on one side to one of the dimmer's black wires, same thing on the other side. I don't know if the same standard is used throughout the world, so check with somebody who knows their electricity (the hardware store is a good place to start).

Once everything was connected, I did a check to make sure it was safe and connected it to the enlarger for a trial run. I also went through the trouble of using an exposure meter to roughly calibrate the device in 1 f/stop increments and made a nifty sticker to put on the top of it :)

Now, all that's left to do is use it in the real world.

Here's a picture for inspiration :)

Enjoy!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Contraption 13: The Dim-Larger
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
looks like a pro job, francois! :) quite the clever way to handle the problem
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
..........."if you can install a dimmer switch in your home, you can build this one!"

Hey Francois, they clearly don't have an equivalent of Part P of the Building Regulations in your neck of the woods.....!! Here in the UK, we can fit the switch - so long as it isn't made live or used until it's been checked and certified as safe by a competent and suitably qualified electrician.

As I have lose to zero DIY skills, I wouldn't even attempt this as it would result in my premature death and a big fire.

How about just fitting a lower wattage bulb in your enlarger?  ???

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »

But that would be far too sensible and easy for the Contraptinator.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
Sadly, I actually have only a 75 watt bulb in it (PH-211) and it still is too bright for my taste.

Besides, it's way more fun to go overboard playing with powertools than simply screwing in a lightbulb :)
It was also cheaper. A similar bulb to the one I use costs 10$ at the camera store. My entire setup costs less than 5$ tax in :)

Also, since I can infinitely vary the brightness of the bulb, it'll make it easier to get more standardized exposure times. All I'll have to do is match the visible luminosity to a known pattern (which I have to learn through practice) and I should have much less wasteful printing sessions. That is if I can master the process...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:32:03 PM by Francois »
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
One issue with this may be the fact that the colour temperature will change if you dim an incandescent lamp and that might have an effect with MG paper. Also, don't try it if you have a cold-cathode enlarger head.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »
Also, don't try it if you have a cold-cathode enlarger head.
Very good warning. My contraption only works with incandescent sources. Cold light heads and fluorescents will catch on fire is they are plugged into this one. It also won't work if the enlarger uses a transformer to either stabilize voltage or to power DC bulbs.

Saying it works only on cheap enlargers could be a way to put it simply.
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »

Saying it works only on cheap enlargers could be a way to put it simply.

hey - my devere uses incandescent bulbs and has no transformer, that wasn't cheap ;)
L.

johann

• flickr
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 06:46:47 AM »
Great contraption !
Can be quite useful for longer exposures. I was not aware of the dust problem with closed lenses. Thanks for the tip, I'll be more careful now.

One other way to do it would be to print with a lens of a longer focal length, for a same print size the enlarger head would be further away, exposure would be longer.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
hey - my devere uses incandescent bulbs and has no transformer, that wasn't cheap ;)
Wow, that really means you need one :)

johann - the depth of field problem is not the same on all enlargers. On one hand, you do need some to make sure every part of the negative is in focus, especially if they tend to pop in the carrier. On the other hand, if the enlarger's condensers are too close to the negative carrier (depending on the enlarger design), you risk focusing too far in the lamp housing. I must say this happens only with condenser and point light source enlargers. Diffusion heads (like my durst), fiber optic, LED and cold cathode lamps are immune to this.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
That is if I can master the process...

Francois, although I don't know you terribly well as yet, all evidence I've seen to-date makes me believe that if there's one guy amongst us who can master the technology, it's probably yourself.  ;)

Please just be careful. Electricity has a nasty habit of "biting" you when you least expect it.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
Wow, that really means you need one :)

strangely enough, I've never experienced any of the issues you discuss about brightness (and I use a 150watt bulb) or condensors. It might have something to do with DeVere's notoriety as the Rolls Royce of enlargers ...   The bulb height is adjustable so if it's to bright, I just raise the bulb up a bit and it is better, or I switch to a longer focal length to move the head up a bit. the condensor lenses are all separate and in varying sizes so you can mix and match to fit neg size and lens focal length.

they are going so cheap on Ebay now, if you can find one (they are so big, it will be pick up only) then it is well worth getting it.  I saw a desk top 504 with the colour diffusion head go for under £100 the other day.

L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »
DeVere is the Rolls of enlargers (though the Salt-Hill Fiber Optic is very much up there too).

I have two condenser enlargers. One is a small (and old) LPL that has absolutely nothing adjustable.
The other one is that old Pixur with the swing arms (like you had before the DeVere). Only the lamp height is adjustable on this one...

I think I might be trying to make miracles with sub-standard hardware...
Francois