Author Topic: Adox MCC 110 FB paper - blimmin' stupendous!  (Read 8813 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Adox MCC 110 FB paper - blimmin' stupendous!
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:10:12 AM »
I bought my first pack of Adox MCC 110 paper recently, and used it the other day. Yesterday, with some trepidation, I returned to the darkroom to collect my dried prints. I say with trepidation, because I so often find my prints lack the richness they appeared to have at the time of printing - and that's even with compensation for dry-down.

I printed some of my Dummy Jim images, and tried a couple of versions of each, compensating approximately eight per cent for dry down (nothing scientific - just a stab in the dark!).

All I have to say is: Oh. My. God.

This paper is GORGEOUS!

It's like stepping back in time 20 years, when printing with the likes of Agfa Record Rapid seemed just so easy, and almost always left you with a gorgeous, rich, deep-toned print. Even the prints where I hadn't compensated for dry-down were lovely, and didn't seem to have lost the range of tones in the way other papers seem to.

So it appears I have finally found my paper of choice. I'm looking forward to trying it in Ilford Warmtone developer tomorrow (the first round of prints were developed in Ilford Multigrade). Now all I need to do is win the lottery...

Anyone else had good results with this paper?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Adox MCC 110 FB paper - blimmin' stupendous!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »
I've never tried it, but it sounds like i should. This is the old agfa multicontrast classic re-make isnt it? glad you're having fun in the darkroom.  

I've got a pack of Ilfords new MG Art being delivered today - can't wait to try that.
L.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »
I've never tried it, but it sounds like i should. This is the old agfa multicontrast classic re-make isnt it? glad you're having fun in the darkroom.  

I've got a pack of Ilfords new MG Art being delivered today - can't wait to try that.

Yes, it is the remake of the Agfa paper - which I don't think I ever used, so I can't compare it directly.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the Ilford paper - it was a toss-up between that and the Adox when I had a bit of money to spend, so I'll be interested to know whether I made the right choice (although I think I did!).

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:02:45 AM »
I have tried the [5x7] Adox MCC FB and love it too. Such lovely blacks - and tones well too. Wonderful paper - apart from the price.

Roger Thoms

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
Yes, I've been using MCC-110 since it came out, and yes I really like the paper. Lately I've been using LPD 1:2 and toning in selenium. Got to watch the selenium if I let it go to long the paper starts to get a wild split tone which I don't find appealing.

Roger
formerly rtbadman

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
The more I hear and use Agfa/Adox products, the more I like... they're normally cheaper than Ilford and the results I've seen so far are fantastic (not to mention the magical Adonal/Rodinal developer).

I have loaded my darkslides with the Adox 50 but haven't used them yet and I bought a few rolls of Adox 120 at the Photographica and I can't wait to try them!

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »
When I did my own printing the M/C Classic was my choice of weapon... Never liked Ilford to be honest at that time... Dug out some prints and scanned the box this evening... Ailsa, maybe the print I gave you in the Print Circle was Classic but I cannot remember... Jeez...  :-\   So the Adox is the nearest...? Good to know on my part... Thanks and boy was that papier ever my reference as to how I liked b/w to emerge from a tray...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:07:15 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

thil

• 35mm PHOTO bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:54:57 PM »
I've been wanting to try this paper for months and I finally got around to it. I do agree with Ailsa - the final dried print has a certain richness and it is a gorgeous paper.
I am not claiming that I've done a proper, controlled head to head test but with one particular frame I found it easier to get the result I wanted with Adox compared to Ilford FB. The first pic was shot in very harsh light. At grade 2.5 with the Adox I was able to get nice detail on the wall without burning to appear over done. I did a side by side comparison with Ilford FB and for me the Adox just seemed to give the better result. With easier to print negatives like the second frame the differences are very subtle but still I preferred the Adox print.
Only downside is that Adox is more expensive...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:06:35 PM by thil »

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
Thanks and boy was that papier ever my reference as to how I liked b/w to emerge from a tray...
Im pretty sure i have about 100 sheets of this stuff in individual 10 packs in my darkroom! its excellent paper!