Author Topic: intent in photography  (Read 16207 times)

Theresa

intent in photography
« on: March 02, 2006, 05:35:20 PM »
I've been challenged to start a topic about something I care about so here goes:

Maybe there are others of you who straddle the line between photography and art.  You may be marketing yourselves to galleries and such.

I'm having a very hard time coming up with an artist's statement.  Artists in other mediums seem to place so much emphasis on intent.  And when you're working in their system (galleries, museums and such), there is pressure to come up with a statement about intent.

I'm having a very hard time trying to figure my intent for choosing certain subjects or ways of representing them.  I'm not really sure my intent extends beyond being attracted to the beauty and weirdness of reality, which I think might be common motivations for photographing.

Does anyone here have a similarly hard time with the artist statement? 

Do you think photographers go about the creative process differently than other artists?

astrobeck

Re: intent in photography
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
Jeeze!
 I write for a living and hammer out thousands of words a day, but struggle like a cat on a pole when I have to write an artist statement.

One of my good artist friends that does sculpture advised me to write my statement like I was walking along with someone looking at my photos with me explaining my work to them.
So each time I have to write a statement, I look at my work and write from the heart.
No frills and no fluff.

This has helped, but I still struggle.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 07:53:37 PM »
The Artist's Statement would be a good name for a grotty pub I reckon... Anyway, I can't count the number of ridiculous and pretentious statements I've seen - often bearing very little relation to the work hanging alongside. I do think it's a bit less prevalent in photography than the other visual arts, but that's probably because there's still a strong documentary element to most photography (photos are usually "of" something) and so a photographer can often write a bit more straightforwardly about that (and methodology) and avoid the intent stuff to some extent.

It is excruciating to be asked probing "why" questions by someone though, when your only answer can be personal aesthetics and instinct...

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 08:25:21 PM »
I've been challenged to start a topic about something I care about so here goes:

try and think of it as less of a challenge and more of an invite :) 

Good topic by the way, and one that has kept me awake at night on many occasionsons - why do I make the prints that I do make and, if I know, how do I get it across to other people?

I think your motivations around beauty and weirdness of reality are enough for the purposes of what you want to portray in your statement.  I dont think they are that common - and looking at your own site, i think it comes across in your work pretty well.

With respect to photographers going about the whole thing differently, it really does depend on the person.  I havent been to art school, havent gone though class style critiques and have little knowledge of the "art" world, so of course photographers in my position will take an entirely different slant than those coming out of the art world, colleges etc.

L.

Theresa

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:05:35 PM »

try and think of it as less of a challenge and more of an invite :) 

potAto, potaato  :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I was feeling OK with a more straightfoward approach (I haven't been schooled in art or photography either), until I read some of the statements at a recent photography show.  I was feeling pretty shallow by comparison.

Theresa

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 09:14:55 PM »
The Artist's Statement would be a good name for a grotty pub I reckon...

I'm there.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:50:51 PM »
Yeah, great subject indeed - albeit one which I'm not able to help out with....not that that's stopped me from posting a load of ill-informed and irrelevant twaddle on many a subject in the past.  ;D

I hope you don't mind if I do it again here.

The thing is, the whole 'statement' and related aspects of juried shows, galleries etc. is one of the main reasons I've steered clear of going anywhere serious or 'official' with my photography. I'm not good at talking about stuff like this. OK, I'm actually great at talking, but not so clever at explaining my photography. I'm happy to get a buzz out of it and enjoy being creative without having to define it. I guess it's grown out of my past involvement with music and bands. In that environment I used to be wary of the people who talked a good game, but had nothing to show for it musically. I know that doing a statement to accompany a portfolio is vital and that it's not just photogs shooting their mouths off for no reason, but I can't escape the association with music.

Another reason I'm suspicious of doing statements is the amount of complete tosh I've read in books about other photographers. The intro in (the very fine) Rocky Schenck book had me shouting at the walls with all its talk of how courageous a photographer he was. Come off it. Anyway, that sort of thing sours the whole explanatory side of photography for me.

But I can totally see why you need to come up with something if you're going to submit work to a gallery or a show. Good luck with that. Rather you than me.

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:43:32 PM »
I hear ya, Theresa, I hear ya. I've been having the same struggles since I'm just starting to get into the gallery scene myself. I, too, didn't have any formal training (if you don't count the art class I took when I was 11 and the art history class I took in college). Just picked up a camera, shot a lot, read a lot, saw a lot of work by others, and asked a lot of questions. A lot of the so-called statements that I see out there, alas, are mostly pretentious crap and unintentionally amusing. I personally prefer ones that are simple and to the point but they are few and far between. I think Becky's friend's advice is a good way to go as a start.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 12:51:06 AM »
I think Bill and Becky and Ed and others are on the mark.  Good topic.  But I will add that a lot of artist statements are filled with such airy sentiments that they are to clear thinking what horoscopes are to beef jerky.  I think taking Becky's advice is a great start and then add the following caveat... If any given statement can be written about every other photographer beside yourself, then leave it out.  all of the pretentious stuff and artspeak that is so common is more or less the equivalent of white noise, noisy but lacking clarity. 

"My work touches the simple and the sublime..."
"A special quality of light..."
"I am looking for a special connection with the subject..."
"Capturing a unique moment..."
"Painting with light..."

I have read a lot of these things too and really cannot bring myself to write very seriously about my work at all.  So, I try to be creative with the statement.  Make someone laugh.  My girlfriend says that I am definitely not as funny as I think I am.  But there was this kid in school who used to laugh at me all the time.  I write my artist statements for him.

Gordon

My chopstick is really a love poem.

Thomassauerwein

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »
   Ok, I cheated on mine. I had my assitant and wife write mine.  I just gave them an out line, they took it from ther. They are much more objective. (and better writers)

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 05:34:03 AM »
The intro in (the very fine) Rocky Schenck book had me shouting at the walls with all its talk of how courageous a photographer he was. Come off it. Anyway, that sort of thing sours the whole explanatory side of photography for me.

:o
Ed, Ed, Ed, Ed, Ed....
Did you just knock Rocky Schenck in front of me?
Tsk, tsk.
Even after I gave you that book--which I love. But 'tis okay Wennster. I shant take it to heart.
Actually, he didn't write that statment. Someone wrote it about him. But he still approved it, so can't help but agree with you Wenn.

Theresa,
Superb topic and question. Thank you so much for posting this.

I've labored over these damn things many times over the past year. Okay...how many ways can I come up with describing my homemade blur and how folks say it invokes distant memories or dreams? Sheesh.
Heck...and I'm a former writer. Still, I don't think I've come close to hitting on my silly purpose statements, but I continue to work and work on them, since they are a necessary element.

Not sure if you've read the ones they list at Santa Fe Project competiton listed at their site, but they always fascinate me. Maybe because I can't write full of myself stuff about my own work...But they are good to read, if not just to see what judges are looking for. After being in a few shows that deal with these statements, it's become clear to me that they are looking for some kind of hook. Just like in the film business. Sort of a tag or log line. How can they easily define you and your work in one or two sentences?

What bothers me a bit is that these purpose statements can be so important, rather than judges looking at the work itself. But that's the nature of the business so we have to roll with it if we want to play along. And some of the far reaching "social" and "political" comparisons that photographers come up with to sell their projects in their purpose statements, even though they have very little to do with the true essense of the project---oh, don't get me started. But heck if anyone can think of a blurry political or social purpose for my work--check's in the mail. ;)

I will have loads to add to this subject within the coming month, since I'm meeting with Mary Virginia Swanson and plan to work on this with her. I will pass on more as I learn it myself.

If you're willing, it would be a great exercise for all of us to read your statement and look at your online portfolio. Maybe we can all help you hone in on what you're looking for? Sure--you'll get tons of conflicting comments, but there might be one that helps you over the hump.
Heck, I'd post mine and love to hear folks would edit, improve, etc... Seriously. That would help me tons. Just an idea...not necessarily a good one.

Regardless--You are not alone in your confusion.
And thank you for posting such an intelligent and thoughtful question
:)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 07:13:58 AM by Susan B. »

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 08:20:28 AM »
My artists' statement?

"I am not an artist!"

However, I never have to issue this statement. My work speaks for me.

;D

Okay, that was simply my standard facetious response, and the question deserves a better answer than that. Luckily for me, I'm simply a hobbyist and so haven't had to come up with one of these, but I can see how it would be a problem. My approach would be two pronged, depending on my motivation -

1) If I am producing one of these to satisfy someone else (gallery owner, etc) then I'd take the path of least resistance, obtain a selection of (what I considered to be) good artist statements from the web and elsewhere, select the phrases that I liked the best, string them together and then revise, reword and reshape into something that would suffice. (Sorry, but I'm a support programmer by training and background and this kind of reverse engineering is a knee-jerk reaction!)

2) If I am producing one of these for myself I'd take the phone off the hook, sit down one evening with a load of my prints, a glass (or two) of wine, some evocative (big word for the day!) music on the stereo and try and work out what the images say to me (which for me is usually "3 out of 10, must try harder!"  ;D ). After a while your own style, a common theme, should start to emerge. Writing down individual words that capture the essence of this feeling should allow you to explore the theme further and solidify your ideas surrounding it.

All the very best with your efforts.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:39:43 AM by FrankB »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »
I have read a lot of these things too and really cannot bring myself to write very seriously about my work at all.  So, I try to be creative with the statement.  Make someone laugh.  My girlfriend says that I am definitely not as funny as I think I am.  But there was this kid in school who used to laugh at me all the time.  I write my artist statements for him.

Gordon once again proving that he's someone I need to go out drinking with. The first proper press release I had to write for one of my bands back in the day, to promote our first album started with the sentence, "These songs are all about cheese..." and then went downhill from there   :)

Susan: I like the Schenck-meister's stuff a LOT and I know he didn't write the intro in his book...I still think it's full of shit though. And yeah, you rule, thanks for sending it to me. I still really appreciate it  :-*

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 09:51:24 AM »
In all seriousness however I feel I should add a constructive line or two:

• You never know what it is people want to hear, so don't try to guess. Keep it real (man).
  • I think Gordon's comment about staying away from stuff which applies to anyone else is also worth heeding.
  • Get your spelling right. I'm a pedant in this regard, but I'm sure it helps if everything is properly spelt and punctuated. Can't hurt anyway.

....erm, that's it. Gotta go and have some tea and toast. It's what we do in the UK.

sparx

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 10:00:50 AM »
I went on a workshop last weekend 'On the theme of Childhood'. Interesting day but god did I feel a prat when we gathered round for our image evaluation. Lots of rambling about why a photo reminded us about our childhood and why we took it from that angle and not that angle and how that reflects a particular blah blah blah. Came to my turn and I sit there with nothing to say. I did try to explain that I take pictures on gut feeling and sometimes I get a corker and sometimes it's a stinker but it wasn't enough for them. They wanted to lay me down on a leather on a couch and discuss my relationship with my mother.

I think some people take art too seriously. And, in the case of Artist Statements, I suspect they often have a friend who fancies themselves as a bit of a marketing guru.

If I had to write a statment it would probably be;

I took these pictures, I don't really know why. If you like them then good, my work here is done.

Theresa

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 10:24:04 PM »
If you're willing, it would be a great exercise for all of us to read your statement and look at your online portfolio. Maybe we can all help you hone in on what you're looking for? Sure--you'll get tons of conflicting comments, but there might be one that helps you over the hump.
Heck, I'd post mine and love to hear folks would edit, improve, etc... Seriously. That would help me tons. Just an idea...not necessarily a good one.

Well, that scares the pants offa me, but I'm game if you are.  I'll work on it over the next few days.

I'm re-vamping my website, also.  arranging by theme rather than camera (what was I thinking?).

Thanks for all the good advice so far.  And a special thanks to Gordon for telling what phrases to avoid (I'd like to add "decisive moment").
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:28:02 PM by Theresa »

Theresa

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »
Another reason I'm suspicious of doing statements is the amount of complete tosh I've read in books about other photographers. The intro in (the very fine) Rocky Schenck book had me shouting at the walls with all its talk of how courageous a photographer he was. Come off it. Anyway, that sort of thing sours the whole explanatory side of photography for me.

from his website.  is this any better?

When asked how he goes about creating his photographs, Rocky Schenck replied "my approach is rather simple: I record on film what I see and what I feel as I travel through life. Although my photographs have been taken all over the world, there is a consistency to the imagery due to the manipulation of both the film's negative and of the print's surface. I consider my images to be illustrations of my conscious (and perhaps subconscious) dreams, emotions, and longings. Many of the images explore positive and negative realities which inhabit dreamlike settings. When I shoot these images, they are usually not premeditated or contrived.... I simply take my camera with me wherever I go and try to remain open to whatever life shoves... or gently places... in front of me. When I'm shooting, I look for images which tell a story, or provide some element of a dramatic narrative. Of course, sometimes it's a matter of being swept away by the haunting beauty of nature, which provides constant inspiration and solace. If I am sad or depressed or melancholy, I can wander somewhere with my camera and usually turn my mood around by stumbling upon something unexpected and wonderful."

I feel like the same could be said of several portfolios of the photographers here, including mine.  although I'd never describe my own quite that way.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:46:35 PM by Theresa »

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 11:10:18 PM »

Well, that scares the pants offa me, but I'm game if you are.  I'll work on it over the next few days.

I'm re-vamping my website, also.  arranging by theme rather than camera (what was I thinking?).

Thanks for all the good advice so far.  And a special thanks to Gordon for telling what phrases to avoid (I'd like to add "decisive moment").

That's what we're here for. Not to scare the pants of you--to help.
So if you decide it's a good idea--just give a shout.
I'm not around much this weekend, but will be around next week.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 11:12:04 PM »

from his website.  is this any better?

When asked how he goes about creating his photographs, Rocky Schenck replied "my approach is rather simple: I record on film what I see and what I feel as I travel through life. Although my photographs have been taken all over the world, there is a consistency to the imagery due to the manipulation of both the film's negative and of the print's surface. I consider my images to be illustrations of my conscious (and perhaps subconscious) dreams, emotions, and longings. Many of the images explore positive and negative realities which inhabit dreamlike settings. When I shoot these images, they are usually not premeditated or contrived.... I simply take my camera with me wherever I go and try to remain open to whatever life shoves... or gently places... in front of me. When I'm shooting, I look for images which tell a story, or provide some element of a dramatic narrative. Of course, sometimes it's a matter of being swept away by the haunting beauty of nature, which provides constant inspiration and solace. If I am sad or depressed or melancholy, I can wander somewhere with my camera and usually turn my mood around by stumbling upon something unexpected and wonderful."

I feel like the same could be said of several portfolios of the photographers here, including mine.  although I'd never describe my own quite that way.

Oy-ya-yoy.
Still love his work though.

Theresa

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 12:49:57 AM »
Oy-ya-yoy.
Still love his work though.

It's not so much that I'm saying it's bad or untruthful, it's just that I think many photographers have a similar intention.  I think it's hard to tell the truth, but also be unique.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 02:03:59 AM »

It's not so much that I'm saying it's bad or untruthful, it's just that I think many photographers have a similar intention.  I think it's hard to tell the truth, but also be unique.

I agree. My oy-ya-yoy comment was more about how it goes on too long. Got the intention in a few sentences.
He is quite exceptional though, imho. I just never buy into puffed up comments about the self, no matter how exceptional an artist is.

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 02:29:53 AM »
Hey Susan...  say hello to Swannee for me.  Mary Virginia that is.  Is this at a photo event type happening?   I worked for her for some years in Tucson.  She is fairly in demand for those types of things really so I hope you have her booked.  I always try to get a drink or something with her but it generally winds up being shots in an elevator or something similarly brief.  She is a lot of fun though.

Gordon
My chopstick is really a love poem.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 05:10:43 AM »
Hey Susan...  say hello to Swannee for me.  Mary Virginia that is.  Is this at a photo event type happening?   I worked for her for some years in Tucson.  She is fairly in demand for those types of things really so I hope you have her booked.  I always try to get a drink or something with her but it generally winds up being shots in an elevator or something similarly brief.  She is a lot of fun though.

Gordon

Will do.
She's speaking tomorrow at the Silver Conference, but booked an appointment with her for April 4th at another photo-do-hicky thing. So I'll tell her hi for sure.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Artist Statement how to's from CFA
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 05:13:25 AM »
FYI....
Turned this up--located at the Center For Fine Art Photography website. Thought it might be informative or amuse.

Artist Statement
About you and your exhibited work

The goal is to describe your work quickly, succinctly, and clearly.

• Set the tone to view your art work and make the viewer want to explore more
• Make a point, be specific to your exhibited work
• Include the title of your images
• Keep sentences short, keep it simple
• Use active sentence form
• Engage the senses; what do you want your audience to experience?
• Expose your soul and mind
• Include your name at the top of your statement

Common mistakes:
• Avoid making the statement too long; approximately 150 words or less – not more than one page, double spaced, 11 – 12 point type size. (this guide contains 242 words) 
• Avoid making a “list” of what  you like
• Avoid artist babble, use natural language, write as you would talk
• Avoid making the statement appear “artsy.” Best to make it easy to read!

Ideas for content:
• Your approach to working
• Describe your technique
• Your philosophy as it is expressed in your art
• Meaning of your work
• Symbols, metaphors, analogies
• Themes and underlying issues
• Mini history of you and/or your work
• Major life experiences which have influenced your art
• What are your worldviews, your general conception of the nature of the world?
• Ethics, articulate values; what values do you hold dear?
• Aesthetics, tell us about beauty, ugliness and how well and appropriate things fit together

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2006, 10:34:53 AM »
I love the juxtaposition of:

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2006, 12:19:35 PM »

superb! :D
L.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2006, 04:03:33 PM »

superb! :D

;D :) :D
Brilliant!

Ed Sukach

Re: Artist Statement how to's from CFA
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2006, 04:12:55 PM »
[quote author=Susan B. link=topic=42.msg388#msg388 date=1141449205]
FYI....
Turned this up--located at the Center For Fine Art Photography website. Thought it might be informative or amuse.

Artist Statement

• Avoid making the statement too long; approximately 150 words or less – not more than one page, double spaced, 11 – 12 point type size. (this guide contains 242 words) ...

A man was once asked to describe himself in three words or less. He used one: "concise"

I would not be able to do all this in 150 volumes, never mind words.  It is "written" - as well as I can write it - in the medium I have chosen: Photography. 

• Aesthetics, tell us about beauty, ugliness and how well and appropriate things fit together ...

Oh .. [Sarcastic Key ON] - Easy.  Would you like that in Classic Greek, or Sanskrit?

This is my "Artists Statement":

Born in Beverly, Massachusetts, on a Friday afternoon in July.  Fascinated by the incredible beauty of the world ever since - and trying to share that fascination with others.

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 01:50:03 AM »
I had to do this recently for a magazine publication. It took me longer to figure out what I was going to write than it did picking out what photos to submit to them. So, I got a bottle of 2 buck chuck, (Charles Shaw, $2.00, cabernet), drank it and let whatever came out come out. I loath writing about myself! I ended up being a bit romantic, but it sounded ok I think. And most people aren't going to read it anyway, they are just going to look at my photos. So, keep that in mind.

tonylim

• 35mm
    • holgaHOLIC
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 03:15:49 AM »
My statement for my show was:

you need a sharp-minded, not a sharp photo... ;D

though it is in Chinese, i think it is a much better interpretation, sorry for my bad english.