Author Topic: Have you ever tried the reticulation technique ?  (Read 5044 times)

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
Have you ever tried the reticulation technique ?
« on: March 02, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »
http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=72  Reticulation is the distortion of the emulsion layer of a film, caused when it is taken from one bath to another that has a dramatic difference in temperature. If for example you take the film from a warm developer to a cold fixer or from a warm fixer to a freezing wash the film may reticulate. This is because the sudden and dramatic change in temperature forces the emulsion to expand or contract causing grain to cluster together into larger collections.

Ran across this article and was wondering if anyone has tried this technique and had some samples to offer. Looks like it would lend itself nicely to the plastic camera photo experience.

sparx

Re: Have you ever tried the reticulation technique ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:07:23 PM »
I did it once by mistake whilst washing some freshly developed Konica IR750. My wife turned the cold tap on upstairs, cutting the supply to the kitchen sink and bathing my film in hot water for about 5 minutes.

I did print a picture out for my course workbook (I was doing a C&G course at the time). When I get home this evening i'll dig it up and scan it in for you.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 01:29:06 PM »
Might give this a whilr i have some efke at home! 

I did read that given progress in the manufactruing process it was very hard to do now a days.
Just goes to show  -you cant beat efke!

Rogerrr

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:39:54 PM »
one of my favorite prints was reticulated my soaking the negative in boiling water....great texture and around the edges the emulsion started to come off the film leaving interesting wispy trails

very easy & fun

yola10go

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 06:23:25 AM »
There is a great out of print book called "Darkroom  Dynamics" by Jim Stone.  In it are different techniques including a reticulation article by Michael Teres.  He uses a hot sodium carbonate solution after the negs are processed.  This is a great idea since you may not want to reticulate a whole roll, depening on what was shot.  The book maybe found online and is a great source for older techniques that seem to be from a bygone era.

erika