Author Topic: Filters or Not??  (Read 6980 times)

astrobeck

Filters or Not??
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:49:25 PM »
I have modded most of my plastic cameras with an internal Red filter just behind the lens.

How do the rest of you all attach your filters, and what filters are you attaching??

I've got a free weekend.... finally to go out and waste some major film, so I've got the antsy-ness of a 5  year old.

:o

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: Filters or Not??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »
ive always prefeered yellow, or orange, i think red is generally too harsh for overcast UK, unless your on the beach i guess.

sparx

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:55:42 PM »
I occasionaly use red but, same as Damion, i'm most likely to use a yellow filter on duller days and ornge when it's a bit brighter.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:59:16 PM »
I have modded most of my plastic cameras with an internal Red filter just behind the lens.

That would be your bright NM sun...back here in Blighty we rarely need to go beyond yellow or orange, but when I went to Hawaii I was red all the way. Have fun w/ your filmwasting weekend.

:D

tread

• what is this nasty film on my teeth?
    • GoTreadGo
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:48 PM »
Red here in the Southern U.S. for bright days, Yellow otherwise...I've never used an orange...as for attaching...on the Holga I use a step down ring for my 52mm filters. I think the Holga barrel is 46mm. Don't have it in sight right now but if memory serves...on the Diana, those neat little Rollei clip on filters are great or Series 7 Kodak holders with your choice of filters. As for the other toys...i tape those on however i can...
check out my self-righteous crud at http://gotreadgo.blogtog.com/ i'm apologizing in advance.

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 11:02:37 PM »
I generally use Cokin orange, green or red depending on the subject matter, sun angle and the effect I'm after. On my F80 these fit in the usual way with an adaptor ring. On the C330 I have to hold them in front of the lens but, as I generally use a 'pod anyway, it works well enough.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 04:03:55 AM »
i don't really use filters. but maybe it's something i should start trying. i did get a step up ring and messed around with some close-up filters but i never quite got that right and then close up filter got stuck on the step up ring and the whole thing came undone from my holga so i haven't really bothered with it since. but it's at the back of my mind to try again.

william in taipei.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 04:23:21 AM »
Nothing special as far as myself using any filters...a couple of close-ups and a diffuser is all really. I can't seem to manage a close-up shot yet using one anyhow...but results are always interesting in themselves...I think so, but what do I know.

Seriously, velcro around the Diana barrel works great...it's stays put and I stick some around the few filters I have and attach them with the opposite side of the velcro, on and off they go...cake...unconventional, why not, it works though. Give it a try...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 10:26:34 PM »
When I actually remember to carry them around with me [big sigh], I usually tape a yellow or red filter to my Holga (depending on the amount of sunshine or lack thereof there is in these parts) or the same with my Debonair Diana clone -- both using gaffer's tape. The latter has a focus knob on the barrel. Sometimes an ND filter if I've got some Delta 3200 in one of them. I've managed to get me a couple of sets of push-on Polaroid filters which I use with my other various Dianas and her siblings. Personally, I prefer red on partly cloudy days so I can try to push the skies to near black and make them clouds just pop. I also have a set of close-up lens but haven't found/made the time to use them on these puppies. At least yet...  ;)
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

Thomassauerwein

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 03:25:57 AM »
  Always filters even for color work.  Never leave home withuot them. For people their skin dictates what filters to use.  Landscapes always at least a filter behiond the lense and usally a grad in front.

Theresa

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 12:29:11 AM »
red when I use one.  I have one brownie hawkeye flash outfitted with one inside the camera.  otherwise I'm doing the balancing act of holding one over the lens of the other toy and vintage cameras.  have hardly used them lately.  almost always use a red or polarizer on my 35mm.  haven't used that much lately, either.

actually, I was thinking about it more and realized that one of the reasons I haven't used the filters as much is because I've been using the plastic lens cameras more and they don't seem to need it.  the plastic seems to filter much of the glare  I'm constantly surprised with one of them because I'm always expecting the sky to be all blown out, but it renders great clouds on mostly overcast days.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 12:44:05 AM by Theresa »

latinbob

• 35mm
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 02:48:11 PM »
I have a 46mm to 52mm step up ring on my Holga 120S.  The plastic around the lens barrel is soft enough that if you push kinda hard while turning, it will thread itself.  Here in the south central US, where it is bright, I use a red filter when shooting 400 speed film, and a yellow when using 100 speed.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 04:02:03 PM »
I dont tend to use filters for tonal contrast on toycams, I will occasionally use ND filters to slow down exposure times and  multi-exposures though.  With my glass cameras, I'll use filters if I think I need to - orange mainly, and sometimes a green.  I'm not too keen on reds - they seem too harsh for me
L.