Author Topic: 1979 pop photo Rodinal article  (Read 4839 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
1979 pop photo Rodinal article
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
as found in another forum  :)

This article ran in the December 1979 Popular Photography magazine. I don't normally scan entire articles but this one is so superior I just had to share it.

Rodinal - history, chemistry, general discussion of developing agents, sharpness, acutance, brilliance, dilutions, film types, compared to D-76, with examples and so on. Developing times for vintage films. Mixing your own? Alternate dilutions. Recommendations. Rodinal was 90 back then...

/Nesster

http://forum.mflenses.com/1979-pop-photo-rodinal-article-t37502.html
/jonas

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: 1979 pop photo Rodinal article
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »
Thanks for this.  I like Rodinal very much with Tri-X and it was interesting to gain a better understanding of its unique properties.  I pretty much stick to 1+50 dilution and the higher dilutions listed intrigue me.  They recommend significantly shorter times, e.g., 8-10 minutes versus 13 minutes for 1+50 with Tri-X.  I like my shadow detail and tolerate some blown highlights I get in contrasty situations with 13 minutes but want to test their recommended times -- also, the agitation they recommend is a bit different from what I use (1 minute then 10 sec every minute versus 30 seconds then 5 secs every half minute).