Author Topic: 1964 Ilford Film has finally seen the daylight !  (Read 164844 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
1964 Ilford Film has finally seen the daylight !
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:08:32 AM »
Since every other time we have questions regarding expired films I just wanted to share my
experience exposing and processing a well expired 1964 Ilford HP3 400ISO.

I know is difficult to have a standard method since the way the film was stored, and how long
the film is expired will change the final result but at least it's some information.

After some research and also advices from my fellows filmwasters this is what I did:

First, I used a proper camera in order to have a better control over the exposure, for this film
in particular I use my Leica IIIF. For some shots I followed the light meter reading and for
others I compensate one or two stops (it would've been great if I had known which ones I did
compensate by taking notes... but I'm too lazy for that).

I processed the film with Rodinal (apparently reduces fog). I used 1+25 ratio and follwed the
recomendation time for the Ilford HP5 increasing the time from 6 minutes to 9 minutes and a half,
(don't ask me why I didn't do the full 10 minutes...). I agitated by swirling the spiral gently but
constantly for the first minute and then 4 times every 30 secs very slowly. Normal stop bath
and fixing process.

I noticed that no colour came out from the developer like the modern films, I even left a
piece of the film after processed immersed in water and no colour came out at all.

Some of the pictures came out very dark considering it was a sunny when I took photos. The film have some marks but I really like the effect. Apart from the normal photoshop adjustments and sepia filter I won't retouch any of the marks, to me they are like scars and it's part of the whole process.

I'd love to hear critics and suggestions... Thanks ! :)

1st set - London
2nd set - Sarlat -France

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
Re: 1964 Ilford Film has finally seen the daylight !
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:09:13 AM »
2nd set
Sarlat - France

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:08:02 AM »
I adore the grain and vintage feel of these!
It's a gorgeous set of images and considering the age of the film I think they came out splendidly well.

Thumbs up! :)

Roger Thoms

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:49:28 AM »
Hey that very cool, you know I was 4 when that film expired. Wish I had aged as well as the film. Definitely gives the photos an old time look.

Roger
formerly rtbadman

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:32 AM »
Spectacular! This is glorious:

I wish there was a consistent way to effect this look on new XP2 Super - or similar. Skj.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »
Fantastic! Despite the fact that your process won't work for every single very expired film that you come across, I'd say that the look and feel of these photos point to the fact that your process is worth hanging onto and repeating in the future because you've got something really pretty going on here. I love the 'vibe' you've ended up with and it's especially rewarding to see the look having been created 'properly' as opposed on a mobile phone with a hipster retro application (nervous twitch).

Would love to have seen some portraits/street shots.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
Brilliant results! I'm with Skorj, it would be sweet if there was a way of getting this without waiting such a long time - I ain't got enough years left!

I do have about a dozen rolls of Agfa APX which I got off of evilbay that seems to have been poorly stored that has quite a nice feel to it - here are a couple of links, sorry that I can insert the photos, but, I'm at work and such things are against the law!

First with a Holga and the second, Hasselblad swc

http://www.terrorkitten.com/iblog/index.php?showimage=1054

http://www.terrorkitten.com/iblog/index.php?showimage=659

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
They look great - and the sepia look really works well. I love how they look really old, yet have modenr things in them, like the London Eye for example.

Do you have many more of these rolls?  I can see a nice series forming  - choosing "old" type scenes that include a very modern structure/ feature.  I think that would work really well.

L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
Agree with Leon's view re modern objects in street scenes....which is what I was hinting at with my first comment.

Anyway, here's a shot from a similar situation a few years ago when a friend found an exposed roll of film in a Great Wall which he'd bought from a seller in China on El Bayo Diablo (sic). He processed it and there were a ton of wonderful images to be had.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »
Thank you very much guys for the feedback, I really appreciate... :)

They look great - and the sepia look really works well. I love how they look really old, yet have modenr things in them, like the London Eye for example.

Do you have many more of these rolls?  I can see a nice series forming  - choosing "old" type scenes that include a very modern structure/ feature.  I think that would work really well.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions leon, I do have some more old film waiting for sunny days to come... some expired in 1954 and a box of Gevaert 4x5 expired in 1965, this one I'm REALLY looking forward to use it

Fantastic! Despite the fact that your process won't work for every single very expired film that you come across, I'd say that the look and feel of these photos point to the fact that your process is worth hanging onto and repeating in the future because you've got something really pretty going on here. I love the 'vibe' you've ended up with and it's especially rewarding to see the look having been created 'properly' as opposed on a mobile phone with a hipster retro application (nervous twitch).

Would love to have seen some portraits/street shots.

Rewarding IS the word Ed ! Thanks for your nice comments... you should've seen my face moments before I open the tank, you don't get this feeling looking at the back of the LCD screen ;)

I scanned some more frames so more yet to come.

Spectacular! This is glorious:

I wish there was a consistent way to effect this look on new XP2 Super - or similar. Skj.

Very nice from you Skorj...
I wish the same... unfortunately those films aren't going to be around for such a long time.
I also wish I hadn't missed the tip of the cross as well as is problably my favourite shot  >:( , In fact I have missed quite a few with the close-up shots... something to do with ragerfinder perhaps ?

Brilliant results! I'm with Skorj, it would be sweet if there was a way of getting this without waiting such a long time - I ain't got enough years left!

I do have about a dozen rolls of Agfa APX which I got off of evilbay that seems to have been poorly stored that has quite a nice feel to it - here are a couple of links, sorry that I can insert the photos, but, I'm at work and such things are against the law!

First with a Holga and the second, Hasselblad swc

http://www.terrorkitten.com/iblog/index.php?showimage=1054

http://www.terrorkitten.com/iblog/index.php?showimage=659

Thanks Phill !
The Holga shot is like people walking between little stars !... they're great.
The music selection is also cool ! ;)

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
Agree with Leon's view re modern objects in street scenes....which is what I was hinting at with my first comment.

Anyway, here's a shot from a similar situation a few years ago when a friend found an exposed roll of film in a Great Wall which he'd bought from a seller in China on El Bayo Diablo (sic). He processed it and there were a ton of wonderful images to be had.

Always wanted to come across old exposed films... even better if they're from your family. This is beautiful !
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:21:05 AM by sapata »

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
these images make me swoon, sapata!  Particularly 1 & 2 with their 'bits of botulism' as I call it.  FANTASTICO!  ;D

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
these images make me swoon, sapata!  Particularly 1 & 2 with their 'bits of botulism' as I call it.  FANTASTICO!  ;D

Thanks a lot !
I thought I'd captured aliens invading London at first... ::)

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
The London shots are especially nice for a local boy... 

Rgds

Mlr
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »
These are wonderful..

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
Fan-tas-tic!

I just love it when something comes out way better than anticipated!

Good work Mauricio
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Woah... and the stuff you picked for your shots make it look like these where taken way before 1964.

do like the one with the cross, even if it got chopped out. maybe the old leicas don't compensate for paralax?

looking at this takes away all my fears of expired film :D

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
The London shots are especially nice for a local boy... 

Rgds

Mlr

Fan-tas-tic!

I just love it when something comes out way better than anticipated!

Good work Mauricio

These are wonderful..

Thank you...  :)

maybe the old leicas don't compensate for paralax?

I finished scanning the whole film and there are quite a lot frames with the top chopped... It's not the first time I'm using the camera but is the first time I got really close to the subjects.

I guess I was either under the effect of all the wine I had in France or you're right...

Few more shots... 1st pic is in London, the other ones in Sarlat

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:23 AM »
All shots are great but I love the London pictures.

Then again I have lomo retro filter to have the same effect, so..... :)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
I love these shots Sapata!!! The first two of London are my favorites. Those floaty spots look like hot air balloons to me and I get the feeling that Im looking at a festival that happened years ago.

Ed, that shot is absolutely stunning! What a find for your friend.
mojave