Author Topic: Dublin  (Read 1601 times)

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
Dublin
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »
I will be hanging in Dublin this weekend--some business but a fair amount of free time as well.  What photography sites should I not miss?  I have some rolls of tri-x to waste so suggestions of how and where to do this would be appreciated but I'm also interested in galleries, museums, etc, not to pass by.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Dublin
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
It's a few years since I've been to Dublin but I suggest heading for the Temple Bar district for a few beers and some good food. they used to have "Boxty Houses" - Boxty being mashed potato with cabbage, bacon and other accompaniments.

A trip to the Guinness factory is worth the effort.

A walk down the River Liffey and across the Ha'penny Bridge is also quite scenic.

If you can't find a good time in Dublin, you'rea really not trying hard enough..... ;)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Terry

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
Where to begin?  If you've only got the weekend, a day trip up the country might be problematic but worth trying anyway.  I'd go into Wicklow--up through Roundwood to Glendalough then back by the Sally Gap.  Magnificent countryside.

I'd second LD's choices, but give Temple Bar a quick exit and go across the Liffey and up around behind the GPO to get a sense of Dublin street life.  Check out the Abbey and Gate to see what's on, and the IMMA too.  And you MUST got to Burdock's behind Patrick's Cathedral for fish and chips.  And stop by the cathedral too while you're there and say hello to Jonathan Swift.  Trinity college campus is picturesque, and you may want to see the Book of Kells (though I lived seven years in Dublin and have yet to do that).  Best pubs are up near Stephen's Green--Neary's, the Baggot Inn, etc.  The Green is beautiful but probably a bit cold this time of year.  You will, of course do Grafton Street, but don't bother with Bewley's except to poke your head in--they've ruined it with yuppification.  The Dart is handy for getting out to Howth, which has a nice little pocket harbour and a lot of wealthy (or formerly so) residents.  And a trip out to Dun Laoghaire is good if you like boats--although the sailboats will be drydocked--but if the weather cooperates a walk out the pier or around the bend to Sandycove and Joyce's tower may be in order.  If it's not too cold stop at Teddy's for a 99.  There's a decent restaurant called Mao up above the yacht clubs toward the town center.  And if you're really feeling adventurous go up above Sandyford to the Blue Light pub on Saturday night--but you'll need a car.  And what you'll find, no matter what you do, is that this is just a recce for a longer visit.

Terry

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »
Some Dublin pics from this past June--all shot around Stephen's Green and Merrion Square
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:30:49 PM by Terry »

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:21:49 PM »
Find John Kehoe's bar

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/kehoes.html

Brilliant fun in an evening!

;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:24:03 PM by choppert »
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »
Thanks for the guidance, so far. My first few hours here have been spent walking north of the Liffey, in the rain.  I did find what I think will be a suitable substitute for Bewley's--the Coffee Society--and found an interesting music store--Walton's--and one museum--Hugh Lane Gallery--that has a photography collection.  Tomorrow, I hope to complete most of my business but I should have time for more roaming and eating.  I think my arteries can handle Burdock's fish and chips as well as some boxty.  Maybe on Sunday I will be able to range a little further and follow some of Terry's leads.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Terry

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
If it's raining IMMA is a good choice.  According to their website they've got a lot of photography on exhibit at the moment.  Good cafe there too and it's just beyond James's Gate (ie, Guinness's Brewery) so you can get a free pint after.  And a Sunday in Wicklow will make you feel like a real Southsider.