Author Topic: Slide Show Lamp  (Read 2924 times)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
Slide Show Lamp
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
Re: Slide Show Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
yep, kinda cool. One of my friends has done a window blind like this too- which is awesome when the sun hits it.

OT-(The tagline for that site- 'no tea cozies without irony' irks me tho. There is nothing ironic about a good tea cozie- they are essential and practical functional things that keep your tea warm. To deny this is to accept cold tea. Fools!)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
You tell 'em, Dave. Fools indeed.

:D

Of course, once you have small children you do indeed come to accept the reality of cold tea. Which is why I bought one of these for Jacqui. I'm not a tea person (despite enjoying the occasional cup of Russian Caravan)...so I bought a similar pot for coffee. Bliss.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:42:25 PM by ed.wenn »

johann

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Tell'em steve-dave !

Here's my version of the idea I did for school a couple of years ago.
It was just a prototype. I actually wanted to do it with uncut slide film but finally had no time.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
The lampshade is nice... just wish I had slides as nice. Mine are mostly found at rummage sales. So I have a ton of pictures from people I don't know... and some wear funny hats :)

On the subject of tea cozy's, they do serve a purpose... it's just that at some point people start wearing them on their head... a very bad idea unless you want to look like this
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:41 PM »
François, you have obviously highlighted an English Premiership issue although I do realise that two of these now play elsewhere  ;D perhaps their fashion sense sent them packing!

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »
Whilst it is not for me to criticize the sartorial failings of others the rules say that If you are going to wear a tea cozy, one must make sure each lug is sticking out of the spout / handle apertures. Otherwise your aural awareness may be seriously impaired, with potentially lethal consequences.

Ed- for coffee i got one of these: http://www.bodum.com/gb/en-us/shop/detail/11100-906B/. Useful but flawed:  It needs slight hacking as the shaft for the press is too short to compress the coffee well which makes it a pain to clean.

Back on topic: Johann- that's unique and very, very cool. Got me thinking that 120 slides would look stunning done like this

Dave (not Steve)

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
"What you got under that tea cosy....?"  was the usual question to Rastafarians from police officers and bigots when I was a kid. We Jamaicans dubbed them ‘Tams’ to hold in your locks after the term Tam o' Shanter the Scottish style hat referred to by Robert Burns.

Here’s an old pic of me in one of my favourites found many years ago found at a Tokyo student boot fair.

Rgds

Mlr
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:02:16 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
Miller, I don't think that's the same.
Black guys make this look so much cooler... White guys just look like they have a tea pot on their head ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:23 PM »
Hahah!  Hilarious turn this post took!  I love your lamp Johann - great job!  And Ed - I think I need one of those double-walled tea pots!  Fantastic idea!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
Miller, you haven't aged a day since that photo was taken  :)  and I think you look slightly more than a little bit cooler than DBeck and the others.

Ann, those double-walled tea and coffee pots are absolutely awesome. Life is significantly better with them, no question.