Author Topic: Not such an interesting camera perhaps!  (Read 14339 times)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Not such an interesting camera perhaps!
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
An ex-boss of mine asked me to throw this in a skip - I didn't, but, now I have no idea what to do with it. Please, don't say take photos! It would be cool if the Polaroid bit could be printed on with digital images from the computer. François, can you hear me!

Anyway, for the record it is a Polaroid SP 350 and it takes standard pack film.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:01:20 PM by Phil Bebbington »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Not such an interesting camera perhaps!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
That thing confuses me! But it looks like fun!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
I did use it a few times. You can connect it up to a TV or use the screen on the back of the camera to view what you are shooting and the end result is analogue! Not exactly a street camera ;)

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 03:02:44 PM »
I'd hook it up to a telescope!    :) Looks way fun! 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
So, for those who don't know, it's a digital passport camera...

I think you have many options:
First would be to put it in a nice box and send it to me so I can figure out how it works ;)

Second one would be to use the printer part, which I find more interesting in a way.
From searching, I think the printer is an SP-149.

There's got to be some compatible drivers for this since I couldn't find the right device number anywhere...
maybe here ?

Knowing if it's a Miniportrait series or not might help...

But for using it, you'd need a USB to Parallel dongle. It's just a cable with both plugs on each end and a small chip inside... it can be found at most well stocked electronics stores.

Third option I can think of is using it with the camera as a simple reproduction device with the camera mounted on a repro bench. Could be great to make some goop scans...

I know this is going to sound a bit dumb but why not point it at your LCD screen and taking a snap of what's on there? Screen capture to Polaroid might be interesting... Just putting a nice picture full screen and shooting it with the device. Screens probably have enough resolution and contrast by now to produce a decent image! That's how the pioneers of digital imaging used to do it using old Apple ][ computers...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »
François, I knew that you would be the person to throw this at  ;D

I do like the idea of using the printer - I will get a USB  to Parallel connector and have a closer look at the printer for more info. I will also have a whiz at pointing it at the screen and see what I get!

As for posting it to you - if it wasn't the weight and size of a small child I might just do that!

Looking for more information!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »
Just checked and the printer is indeed an SP-149

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »
You might find something on driverguide
http://members.driverguide.com/list/company832/index.html
Francois

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 09:13:35 AM »
I've just snaffled one of these too! While I've been long used to getting my C41 processed into digital ink jet prints, my Polaroid negatives scanned and K3 printed on my Epson, that hybrid process is a film-to-digital process.

In looking for 600SE parts (mainly backs), I came across one. Its hybrid process goes the other way; it takes a digital image and presents its onto Polaroid pack-film, digital-to-film. my version is the made in Scotland SPd360 Studio Express:

A 1.4 megapixel camera, zoom lens, aperture control, and a print button (tech info here BHPHOTO SPd 360).

It works the same, after taking a screen cap, or freeze-framed video image on the integrated TFT, you hit the print button. With the wonders of microprocessors it senses the presence (or not) of a film pack, tells you when to pull the white tab, then the print, and automagically times up to three prints for you. One wonders what a real 2010 Polaroid pack film camera would look like and function if designed these days accordingly.

A Studio Express (passport photograph) machine for the digital age (late 1990-something).

The color lasers etch an image onto the pack-film (automatically adjusting to monochrome yellow and white for the B&W setting), much like an ink jet printer, it even makes the same noise. No pixelation, or any evidence of digital process is apparent in the prints.

While I am tempted to rip the back off it, and use for my 600SE (the whole set was only 3000 yen), it is too tempting to experiment. I wonder if I can feed a regular composite video feed into the print box. So I'll check out those drivers above thanks, and the TV capture thing, as I've tried that a few times already with regular cameras - studio goop work seems an attractive proposition perhaps!

On mine the parallel port appears to be configured for output only - for archiving the digital images to a PC - so its use as a slave printer might be more problematic, but certainly the hardware has that capability. Now, where's my USB drivers toolkit? But, yours appears to have an input of some sort? A manual was available on line for mine, so I assume yours too Phil?

Phil's also appears to have some printer button controls that are handled by my camera menu, like flash or daylight settings, so it appears different software in use too.

I'd hook it up to a telescope!    :) Looks way fun!  
It takes a C-mount lens, so perhaps that's an option too. See ya! Skj.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:31:39 AM by Skorj »

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
The thought of exporting images to the printer via the PC was a wonderful one. I did look for drivers through the link that François posted and had a bit of a dig around, but, nothing yet. The notion is enough to hang on to it for the time being!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
The thought of exporting images to the printer via the PC was a wonderful one. I did look for drivers through the link that François posted and had a bit of a dig around, but, nothing yet. The notion is enough to hang on to it for the time being!

Agree, as a PC printer output from either scanned or digital images would be a pretty neat trick. I might cannibalize the back (the reason I bought it after all), and put it away for the time when I've more time. Thanks for pointing out your original thread too! Skj.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
I've taken closer views of the front and back for comparison. Now, if François would please just out of bed and  sort this mess out! I mean, a quick flight to Japan, scoot across to England and home for tea!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
I've taken closer views of the front and back for comparison.

Arrggghhhh..... Yours has a CVBS in! What I think would be a standard Composite Video (yellow RCA connector typically). Provided the image is stable you should then be able to hit the print button accordingly. You should also be able to slave a video monitor off the Y/C (S-Video?) out. Or, use the Y/C in as well. Got a camcorder?

A lot closer for a modern use perhaps, with what appears to be a later model printer you've got there... Skj.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:54:08 AM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »
seems kind of redundant to take a digital passport photo and the print it to a polaroid, rather that just taking a direct polaroid! though maybe there is some theoretical use for having a photo on file and a printout for IDs. funny how huge it is. reminds me of the old scanners that took 20 minutes to scan a 72 DPI photo.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »
The only difference between the standard miniportrait and the digital one is this one can print multiples on a single sheet.

Parallel ports are bi-directional. And since this one is a printer, it will accept incoming data no problem.

I think Polaroid wasn't the type of company to produce new controller chips for every machine they made. Lets not forget that when this was produced, drivers were quite a bit more "primitive" than what they are now. So I figure another closely related model's drivers might very well work just as fine. There's no risk in trying... that's what I would do for sure.
Francois

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
François, I may need to  PM you for an idiots step by step of what to try. Man, I wish I understood stuff straight off!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
No problem Phil.
Francois

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
Then, there are these devices. Digital Palettes; digital images from a PC onto 35mm and 4x5 sheets. The 8000 was over USD13,000 when new. Cheaper now. But I cannot see any cute application.

The 5000 can be had for $5 if you know where to look. Any ideas for fun applications? I suspect something like this was used by Moriyama for his 'Polaroid' book. Skj.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:46:50 AM by Skorj »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »
Something I've been looking at for a long time is the Polaroid ColorShot Printer.
The thing used 600 film to make instant printouts.
Resolution was not too shabby either.

It would probably be the best thing to use the TIP film since you can easily control both the environment and amount of light to get the best results.
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »
L.

sethasaurus

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
Damn, I wish I had one in the 80s to capture shots off VHS. That wouldve been fun.
"Dear friends. My work is done. Why wait?"... 'BANG'
- George Eastman. Mar 14, 1932.

Dancorp

• 35mm
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »
Hi every one,
In advance sorry for my english i'm french.

I'm Daniel from Marseille (France) and i'm a polaroid, analog and of course digital camera user.
I'm a new owner of a SP350 Camera and after many search, i have found everything to use SPx printers with a computer.
So i'm just here to tell you that if your are looking for them, everything is on my thread on the Polaroid-Passion forum.
Sorry, most of the text is in french but i have add short english description on the main post.
Of course you need a computer with a LPT port running Windows XP (Win7/10 doesn't support LPT port anymore)

http://www.polaroid-passion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27790

I hope you will enjoy that !
BR and happy new years :)

Dan
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:30:49 PM by Dancorp »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »
Bonjour Daniel!
Nice of you to come by.
I don't know if many of us still have those machines... but I sure do hope so.

Marseille... Ah! le soleil et la mer. Pas de froid (-22°C la nuit prochaine à Montréal) et pas d'enmerdes avec les 40cm de neige de vendredi dernier  ;D
Francois

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »
I still have mine - I have no idea what to do with it  :o

Dancorp

• 35mm
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 01:07:22 PM »
Effectivement, je me doute qu'il fait bien meilleur à Marseille qu'à Montréal actuellement... Mais je vais pas pour autant aller me baigner  !

Phil, you can use your SP350 printer as a kind of Light Printer. You can expose any photosensible film like polaroid, instax or common roll film !
In my case, i will try to overexpose FP100C film (Solarization) , reuse the negative or try different films.
I'll also try transferts ou emulsion lift with FP100C.
(Again, sorry for my english)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:58:40 PM by Dancorp »

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »
Thanks, Dan. I'll need to sort an XP machine out, but, it looks fun and I still have a stack of instant film going unused.

You English is great - I wish that my second language enabled me to communicate so clearly!

Dancorp

• 35mm
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
Thanks Phil :)

And if you don't know what to do with your stacked instant films... thinks about me !  8)

Dancorp

• 35mm
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Good news : Polaprint works perfectly with Windows 7.
Unfortunalty, you still need a PC with a internal LPT port or a laptop equiped with a LPT PCMCIA adapter , because generic USB2LTP adapters doesn't work.

EDIT : FYI your motherboard may have a secret LPT socket on it !
(Check the device manager).
In this case, you just need that : http://www.ebay.com/itm/381358202183

Dan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:03:49 AM by Dancorp »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 02:09:37 AM »
I love it when old threads suddenly spring into life :-)

Thanks for the info Daniel.