Author Topic: Good luck with this venture folks...  (Read 7582 times)

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
Good luck with this venture folks...
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:06:45 PM »
it'll need to be carefully managed so that it doesn't become another apug/photo.net or whatever. Whilst its great to see the personal galleries what about a little of the thoughts of when the images were made or the motivation for the project etc.

All the best, Carl

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: Good luck with this venture folks...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »
cheers carl, 
Just for the unititated -whats the issues with those two sites???

sparx

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 05:12:41 PM »
cheers carl, 
Just for the unititated -whats the issues with those two sites???

I have only had a brief flirt with photo.net and was enjoying it until I mentioned I don't own a digital camera then all hell broke loose. There are more trolls on that site than you'll find in a Discworld novel ('Thump' included).

I am still a subscriber to APUG but am just a lurker these days for a couple of reasons. Firstly the sheer size of it now. 11,500 members means trying to follow any thread is nigh on impossible, by the time you've composed your reply to a post 15 other people have beaten you to it and moved the conversation on. Secondly, there seems to be a lot of discussion about the technical aspects of LF camera's and home brewed chemistry and very little about the artistic side of photography in general which isn't really my cup of tea.

Just my opinion you understand.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »
it'll need to be carefully managed so that it doesn't become another apug/photo.net or whatever. Whilst its great to see the personal galleries what about a little of the thoughts of when the images were made or the motivation for the project etc.

All the best, Carl

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with them - but to aviod just duplicating them. In essence, that this forum would offer something different in terms of its approach and being!

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
no worries, totally understand.

ive always stayed away from larger forums as it seems that things ca noften descend into a mess.  and i have witnessed some of the wierd arguments that get people so irate (good/bad bokeh for example)

i think we all kind of envisaged this to be a supportive/creative place, so hopefully we can avoid any such stuff!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 06:34:04 PM »
...  there seems to be a lot of discussion about the technical aspects of LF camera's and home brewed chemistry and very little about the artistic side of photography in general which isn't really my cup of tea ...

That's exactly the reason I wanted to get involved in starting this site Marcus, that and the fact that there wasnt anywhere that I could talk about any type of camera, all of the time.  It's either about rangefinders or Toycameras etc - the sites i refer to in this example both being great places, but too narrow a frame of reference for me. As my photography has developed, I've moved away from those kind of distinctions (note to self, I must edit my homepage into one gallery rather than plastic vs glass) so wanted somewhere more open to that.

And Carl - thanks for the good luck wish, it's well appreciated.  I think the only way we can stop ourselves from falling into that trap is to apply good moderation whilst asking that the membership try to stick with the guidelines.   
L.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:36:39 AM »
I too am liking what I see so far! Congratulations to you all for getting such a project off the ground. I look forward to being a regular visitor.

jane

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 11:26:46 AM »
I too am liking what I see so far! Congratulations to you all for getting such a project off the ground. I look forward to being a regular visitor.

And me! I can't wait to see how this develops.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:56:36 PM »
thanks Ailsa and Jane - and it's great to have you onboard
L.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 05:07:41 PM »
Wonderful to see you both, Ailsa and Jane.
 :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 10:33:08 PM »
It's probably worth pointing out that Filmwasters is primarily a showcase site. It's all about the pictures and the original idea the 5 of us behind the site had was to set up something to showcase our own work (natch  :)), but to spice things up a bit by inviting people we know & like and whose work excites us to lend a few photos to a guest gallery or a collaboration project and thereby brighten up our sorry lives. Guest galleries and collaboration projects will be run regularly to keep the content here moving along.

The blog section is mainly going to be used for any interesting news snippets, gallery/exhibition info and to link to cool stuff that we find online.

We included a forum here probably because the 5 of us first 'met' on the toycamera.com forum and we enjoy the interaction, creative buzz and community spirit that a good forum provides. It also allows people to display individual images or small groups of images in an ad hoc fashion through links in forum posts (like this):

So please keep using the forum - the first few days have been really, really fun - but bear in mind that we're not trying to 'make a success' of it or anything else specific/calculating like that. We just wanted somewhere of our own to hang out and chat with friends and like-minded photogs. If forum membership stays under 100 we'll still be delighted - we ain't going for sponsorship or advertising. Filmwasters paid, designed and run by the 5 of us and we are going to keep it 100% independent of anything other than our own prejudices and poor taste.  :P

Enjoy!!!