Author Topic: Cant load Polaroid 195  (Read 1703 times)

195Tonie

• 35mm
Cant load Polaroid 195
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »
Hi All
I think I might be missing something really simple because I cant seem to get my 195 Landcamera loaded properly with Polaroid 667.

I've followed all the instructions online and in the original manual. I take the film out of the foil. Load it properly emulsion side down and make sure the tabs are not caught. Close the back making sure it clicks shut properly. The film holder fits perfectly and the black paper (darkslide) is perfectly visible. Along with the white tabs waiting beneath.

But when I try to remove the darkslide I cant. In fact I have to apply so much force (pull) it almost tears off.
I cant get it removed without sliding it out about 4-5cm's with the camera back open and then pulling it all the way when closed again. (All in a darkened room) But then the white tabs don't load right. And I cant pull them out after an exposure

Is there anybody that has had the same problem in the past. The camera is in near mint condition and I cant see anything that might be broken.

To be honest I've worked with a few Polaroid backs in my time so I'm not a novice but this problem completely perplexes me. Anybody got some suggestions?

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Cant load Polaroid 195
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
I did have a similar problem a few years back. I too thought I was doing something wrong, it  transpired that the film was very old and had in some way bonded with the packaging. I didn't get a decent exposure from the whole pack - I think it was 667 as well.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Well. I remember having had this ¨problem¨, which I solved by partially opening the cover and then partially pulling out the darslide. closing the cover and totally remove the darkslide. But then I do not remember having had this problem lately so may be it´s just a matter of pulling out the darkslide energically... and get used to it. I am not sure  ::)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »
Are the rollers clean?
If they're dirty the film won't pass through easily as it should ... I cleaned mine with ronsonol and worked well after having similar problem.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »
i second the rollers being clean suggestion. there isn't really any other reason it wouldn't work aside from the rollers being stuck. give them a good scrub and pick out all the bits along the sides with a toothpick.

that or the pack is dried out.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:26 PM »
That was my issue, Sean, the pack had dried out.

195Tonie

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:25:02 AM »
Thanks for the answers guys.
The rollers are super clean. In fact i can almost see myself in hem hey are so shiny still.

But, I think you guys are totally right about the pack being dry. I tried another pack I had, 665.
Worked like a dream.

The 667 when i opened the spoilt pack was stuck together like crazy.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »
Thanks for the answers guys.

The rollers are super clean. In fact i can almost see myself in hem hey are so shiny still.

My camera had the rollers shinning like crazy diamonds, :P but they were stuck.

Even after finding that the problem is the film, I'd check if they're running freely.

195Tonie

• 35mm
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
Thanks Sapata
Will, I've got 9 exposures left in there. Once that's done I'll make sure they are nice and clean.
aka - not stuck at all