Author Topic: Nudes  (Read 14022 times)

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
Nudes
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »
We've all seen one...we all would like to do one...well, you know what I mean. I have my sights set on doing just that this summer and two willing participants who will work with me. Fancy that. One is a knock out gal...and well, that's what I'm afraid of...her being too pretty. That probably sounds dumb, I know, but I have to find a way around that prettiness and photograph her in a different light. A challenge I'm willing to take on, even though I've never taken nudes before. But that's okay, right? I hope. The other is a male and quite honestly, I find shooting males rather difficult...I mean, how do you actually take pictures without having him looking to feminine, too dainty, etc. with poses and posture. And that's why I have the idea to spot shoot this individual. Parts of him and not necessarily in classic nude pose/form. Does that make sense? Sometimes I don't. And along with those parts, perhaps have him outside with interesting surroundings, objects, great light and odd focusing...you get the idea. I have some. I hope.

Sort of like the fantastic work of Mona Kuhn. I dig her stuff...a lot, and would like, and really had a vision of sorts like that of hers. Nudes are tough, and again, especially of males, but I'm going to see what I can come up with. That's my next adventure...hopefully with the Yashica Mat.

http://www.monakuhn.com/images/people1.html

And advice?
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Re: Nudes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Mona Kuhn at the Silver Conference this week. If she has any tips I'll post for you.

In terms of nudes--I've only shot one series. Can't be of much help. Except to say that I never thought of my nudes as "nudes". They were portraits first, nudes second. Maybe look at folks like Sally Mann or Nan Goldin. Not just nudes--all of it. Knowing your work, I suspect they might trigger some inspiration--but just a guess.

I will look forward to seeing what you come up with.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
Wow, that's great, Susan...hope you are able to pick up a few from her...thanks for that. Yea, I hear you and I don't want to get too bizarre, although I tend to lean that way most of the time...we shall see. Thanks...

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:10:52 AM »
And advice?

Susan's line about portraits first, and nudes second sounds pretty sound. Most of my nude work is an extension of my normal stuff, and I've not tried for any 'classic' poses, as they are for me at least, cliched, and hard to pull off (intro Damion).

So my only suggestion would be for your construct to be part of your normal expression, and your subjects too...

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 04:24:15 AM »
I've just learned tonight, unfortunately, the guy's girlfriend, both are pals of mine, decided she doesn't want him to do this and it figures. I could have used both, but one bad apple will always spoil the bunch, and my desire...ah well. I have the other girl still and she seems anxious enough to give it a whirl. I won't do this till summer...and dammit, I can't wait till then, it's her clear blue eyes and long dark hair I really want to capture. I've some sketches for her exclusively and I'll have to toss the others out...maybe not. But darn, he looks exactly like Jesus and wanted to play with that in mind.

Appreciate the advice...

Thomassauerwein

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 04:44:31 AM »
At First the toughest thing for me to get through was to learn to really look at the nude. Really look at the person in my set. Once I realized that they are just componant. Albeit one that is moveable and conversational but one conponant of the hole it got easier. Go to figure drawing classes where you are in a group and as a collective completely detached from the sitter. There you are allowed to really study. Even if you have not drawn much this should not keep you from trying it . Take a polariod along and ask if during the session you can shoot a couple of the poses, then go home and study the polaroid and sketch. For your first encounter with a photographic nude sitter only shoot polaroid, but start the session sketching. Even if the drawing are stick figures it will give a chance to study this person and practice seeing.
    Next  session:  One light source, dark environment  35mm camera. Many roles of film.  Shoot at every angle around the light source. keeping the sitter between you and the light source. The sitter should be in an organized evolution of poses. from standing to laying down from every angle of the light source. Process, proof these images then view to discover what works best for you and this sitter. START BUILDING from HERE! Edit , re- edit find a couple concepts build an envirement around the pose then work to build a lighting concept that describes the concept.
   Good Luck!!!

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 04:59:00 AM »
Wow, that's a lot to absorb and I'll make like a sponge and soak it all in too. Good words. I'm really into drawing ideas first...and most of my toy work are from those drawings and mostly pretty much are like I envisioned. It's also a handy way of reminding myself what shot I thought of...and I guess I'll do the same here in this case and hopefully follow them up. I know I'll bomb out my first try and hate every picture...but sometimes I luck out and I'm pleased with results...in the past, anyhow.

I've always done this photography thing half assed and ass backwards...but it's those times when I get something interesting and want to stick with it. Don't get me wrong, I have total respect and admiration for it just the same. I sometimes argue with myself for being so damn inconsistent with work, a style and so on...but that is just me and the goofy way I go about things...even something as special as photography. I'm still wet behind the ears and I imagine it will be a long time before I can actually say, I've done it. I'm determined...

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 07:19:20 AM »
I think the only thing that really inspires me right now are fine art nudes. At least for my own personal work. Lots of things inspire me, but I look at it and apply it to a nude. I always say, "Photograph ideas, not naked people."

I wouldn't worry too much about what a person looks like, pretty, obese, average... looks don't matter for fine art work, that's what makes them stand out for me. Leonard Nimoy http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com is doing a series of obese women which are extremely striking. Then of course you have the amazing work of Andreas Bitesnich and all those models are of the super model ilk. Check out the work of Jeff Dunas http://www.dunas.com, Bryce Lankard http://www.brycelankard.com and you can always stop by my website for fine art nude photography (only) http://www.communityzoe.com

As far as photographing the male nude, I see your dilemma. I always am drawn to the male nudes that look like the classic greek sculptures. some of those sculptures use very masculine props and such to lend strength to the overall feeling. I have seen way too many male nudes that look feminine and I'm never drawn to those. So, good luck!

Hope this info helps out some.

Zoe

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 07:38:02 AM »
Becky - take a look at the excellent links Zoe posted (especially her own stuff using a holgaroid), but also take a look at Toms site too - his figurative work is really amazing, and after reading his post, it's good to see the process that lead to the amazing shots.  http://www.thomassauerwein.com/gallery/
L.

sparx

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 10:09:59 AM »
I have enough problem posing someone when they're fully clothed, I don't think I could ever do a posed nude shoot. I would just turn into a stammering beetroot  :-[, my people skills just aren't up to it. Any advice on how to deal with models in general?

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 10:46:28 AM »
I have enough problem posing someone when they're fully clothed, I don't think I could ever do a posed nude shoot. I would just turn into a stammering beetroot  :-[, my people skills just aren't up to it. Any advice on how to deal with models in general?

the stammering beetroot cracks me up. dealing with models... pretend they have clothes on i guess? um, absolutely no touching, be a gentleman? don't be afraid to give direction. notice the flaws in the body so that you can avoid them. be professional. have an idea before you start the shoot so that you aren't there not knowing where to begin. i guess you approach it the same way you would approach any other shoot, you just have to find your comfort zone. it really helps to photograph a good friend first or a girlfriend. the first nude i shot was of a good friend who i was comfortable with.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 04:10:58 AM »
Hmm, well, to be honest, I'm not so much into having a male represent strength or power by his physic, but actually the opposite. Sounds confusing, I know. My friend has a rather thin build with no real kind of muscle mass, etc. and while I said I didn't want to project femininity, I did sort of want to play with the idea of having him appear, female...he has really long hair...and perhaps shoot at different angles using his hair as a prop and even to hide the fact he's a man. I also dislike a male nude who's photographed on his belly...it just reminds me too much of how women are usually photographed. It looks too girly to me and that's why I need to take this to a different level. So maybe I will have to resort to bizarre measures after all. Hell, I don't know...this is going to be tough the more I think about it...just as long as I have my little drawings I think I'll be okay....something like that.

I'll take a look at those links and thanks for the great feedback...seriously. I'll take it all into consideration and really appreciate it. And Zoe, wow, those are some pretty Holgaroids and they should be with all the time that you put into each shot...and the Polaroid edges makes them look even more great. Some amazing work from you through out, that's for sure...thanks.

Thomassauerwein

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 04:58:31 AM »
Sparx,   people are people. clothed or otherwise they are really interested in the process. Most are anyway. So if while you are working through your session you keep them involved and allow for some adjustements as they might suggest it really keeps the session lite. I find that conversation gives my mind time to work out whatever it is that I'm trying to solve. Quiet time is also very important, a moment to yourself to really study what it is you have and where you plan to go.Agian people usually know when it is time to leave you alone. Usually don't  even need to ask but periodically you might say: Can you give me a second" then walk away evaluate, make a plan then re-join the set and your sitter. Head back into your conversation while you make your adjustments.
   have a plan!  from the start be prepared, as prepared as possible. The set and lighting should be done if it is in a controlled envirenment. If you are shooting outdoors plan the time of day and location as much as possible also. With that said nothing ever works completelly as planned so be flexible and be in the moment. "Let it happen"   As long as you are well prepared your mind will be free to make clearer decisions as you go through the session.
    I can't tell you how many times I sketched then built and way over planned then the session comes and at the end i walk away with an entirely different image than I planned. as humans we are the same! but dissected photographically you will be amazed at how different we really are. Very fasinating. "I love it"  Even day to day the same person is different from one day to the next. The "key" to photographing people is to understand this, then to learn to capture their moment in  within the world you've created for them. You may be wrong, Kind of like square peg in a round hole but if you listen and adjust you will evolve towards the right answer instintivley.
   Keep it simple, keep it lite and have fun.
    Tom

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »
When you sketch, how and what exactly do you do?

I fast draw all my ideas...as simple as they look, I know from looking at them what I want and what I should do that day setting up shots. All of my drawings look like this...

This drawing reminds me to funk it up a notch with focus and angle...I'm really serious...otherwise, I'd just forget and sit there all day thinking of what to do next.

Pardon the graphics.  ;D

sparx

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 12:22:11 PM »
I don't have a problem shooting people, quite the opposite in fact. I'm just no good at communicating what I want them to do so I tend towards the candid approach to portraiture.

*wonders to self*
"How can I do candid nudes without ending up on the sex offenders register?"

Thomassauerwein

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 01:46:07 PM »
   One thing you might try doing is to draw the idea in pieces. Back of set, side of set, the pose (a couple different ways) No light direction yet, then take the pieces and move them around each other. you find something interesting use some translusant sketching paper and lay it over the pieces and draw the composition. Then play more.  With the translucent drawing you can start adding light direction.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 05:28:02 PM »
   One thing you might try doing is to draw the idea in pieces. Back of set, side of set, the pose (a couple different ways) No light direction yet, then take the pieces and move them around each other. you find something interesting use some translusant sketching paper and lay it over the pieces and draw the composition. Then play more.  With the translucent drawing you can start adding light direction.

That is a top notch suggestion.
Applies to something else I'm shooting (not nudes) so I thank you for that.

tread

• what is this nasty film on my teeth?
    • GoTreadGo
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 06:30:56 PM »
i'm going to dip my toe in here since i've not shown any of my nudes publicly. wait, i'm hesitant to call them nudes, i prefer nakeds. glamour is not my intent, nor is documentary, i am experimenting with the idea of simply the person usually clothed in a usual situation, now naked. i just capture the vibe the subject is giving off whether it be sexuality or merely discomfort...we'll see where some of this goes for me, possibly no where, my subjects are not crazy about the internet and their images although most agree to hanging in a gallery should the need arise...
check out my self-righteous crud at http://gotreadgo.blogtog.com/ i'm apologizing in advance.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »
.....and hard to pull off (intro Damion).

"Excuse me sir, is that a copy of Viz in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"

;D

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 12:56:52 AM »
I have gotten a nude model for one of my classes tomorrow.  I might look into the possibility of photographing.  I like nudes in theory but really don't like the genre very much.  I prefer the intention stated above.  I like nudity when it is incidental.  Nude for not having clothes on sake or something like that.  Tread send me all of your pictures off-forum.  Or else.

Gordon
My chopstick is really a love poem.

Kren

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »
I've always used myself for nudes/nakeds or whatever you call them. Everytime I tried that, I discovered a new frustration, an unease (or dis-ease) with the way my body looks or with my posture(s). What is interesting is that even if you model for yourself,  you are not free and alone. Your posture, your angles and light become attached to a series of norms and conventions that you find hard to transgress. The photographer you wants to create something that would be "original" in some way or another, but the model you resists to be a part of this freedom that the photographer seems to feel. So, nude self portrait is an unfinished struggle as a result of which (almost) none of them were made public.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 11:27:46 PM »
That's it...I'm buying a 40" cable and doing my own nudes dammit...I just bought new sheets too...since oh, 5 years ago. Seriously, I am...the cable that is...and I'll hook up the Yash and take it in the woods and have a field day...har har. Achoo...