Author Topic: The Contraption 8: The 127 Film Slitter  (Read 13105 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
The Contraption 8: The 127 Film Slitter
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:10:50 PM »
After seeing some of you struggle trying to make a slitter to cut down 120 film down to 127 width, I thought I'd share another contraption I have on the shelf. Now, this is just half of the project as I still have to make a device to re-number the frames and spool the film back onto a 127 spool.

So, this is the thing... and it works very well. Instead of unrolling the film before cutting it, I opted to cut it right on the spool!

Much more reliable since it can be done in full daylight and you can actually see what's going on.
I used a rechargeable screwdriver which is held in its charging base. I also have two blocks of wood that hold both centering bits. To be precise, I drilled a single block and cut it into two parts. The bits are made from two screwdriver bits I had which I filed so they would fit the ends of a 120 spool snugly.

The cutter is a single edge razor blade (with a steel back like is used to clean windows after painting) which gets attached to a hinged block. To make things stronger, I used some bent steel plate which creates a pocket for the blade to slide into. A small catch prevents it from popping out. I use the big paper clip as a guard so nobody gets hurt when the blade is in. One of the big advantage of using such a blade is that these are super cheap and super sharp. Film is somewhat abrasive and you can definitely feel it when you cut through.

To use it is simple. Put the film in position, (hook up car battery charger to the poles... my screwdriver's battery was dead so I had to improvise :) ), load a blade in, start the screwdriver rotating clockwise, drop the blade and keep pushing on it until you can feel the spool's ridges.

That simple. Perfect cut every time since the blade is on a fixed hinge.

Anyways, as usual, a few pictures. Hope you find this thing inspirational.

On a single roll of 120, with re-numbering of the frames, it should be possible to get about 20 frames minimum.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:16:52 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: The Contraption 8: The 127 Film Slitter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »
you have a shot from the other side showing the blade? or a video would work!

it would probably be easier to just respool with 127 paper for the numbers, as there is no way to renumber without unrolling the film. just put paperclips on the paper backing where the film starts and stops for guidelines.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »
When I shot this, the blade was not installed... it just slips on the right side of the hinged block.
Francois

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »
Oh yes, very nice idea!  Next thing is to come up with a mini camera which can use the offcut!  :)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
Oh yes, very nice idea!  Next thing is to come up with a mini camera which can use the offcut!  :)

Well he does have that HIT camera... That looks nearly the right size to me but not sure?
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Terry

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »
Nice one Francois.  I especially like the re-purposing of those philips drill bits!  You've got me thinking...I've got a toy lathe and if I could modify the cutter head to hold an x-acto blade....

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »

Well he does have that HIT camera... That looks nearly the right size to me but not sure?
Well... I hadn't thought about that...
Shoots, it's about 1.5mm too short  :-\

I also forgot to add a detail about the trimmer's usage:
Make sure you turn the film in the direction where it won't unravel by itself. Also, I put a piece of masking tape across to prevent any part from unraveling while I cut.
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
you should probably use it in very low light because the film/paper ends aren't lightproof without the spool end. once that cut end is open, it will have a lot of lightleaks.

the extra piece would probably still be usable if you rerolled it onto a tiny roll. they are just like little tiny 120 rolls. you just need an original spool and backing.
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »
Luckily, the paper has curvature which is designed to minimize this. As long as the roll is tight and you don't do it in full daylight, it should be pretty much OK...
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »
would you be able to cut a 100-foot roll of 120 with this?
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
To cut a 100 foot roll, I'd probably have to modify the design quite some bit. While the drive system would just need to be extended upwards, I'd have to change the cutting blade for something longer that doesn't flex much (and no, the under the belt pun wasn't intended).

The blade I currently use is just long enough to do the job on a regular roll of 120.

But apart from that, the basic design is quite sound and very adaptable.
Francois