Author Topic: Meet the Filmwasters  (Read 264545 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Meet the Filmwasters
« Reply #550 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:25 AM »
Welcome Chris667 and Sbode.

Please have a good look round the site - it's not just the Forum.

I'm sure you'll have a great time as the FWs are a friendly bunch.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #551 on: December 06, 2016, 10:07:23 PM »
Thanks!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #552 on: January 17, 2017, 11:12:38 PM »
A very grainy picture of me snowboarding last week taken by a friend using my camera.  Olympus Infinity Stylus Zoom DLX.  The film is Kodak Gold 200 that expired 03/2004.  It was developed in Beerenol (Rainier Beer) as black and white which gave it the grain. 

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #553 on: February 17, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
Always happy to meet a fellow Pentax user.
Hope you enjoy it here, we're a very friendly lot.
becky
Hello everybody,

I have been following the forum for some time (a couple of years or so...) gathering info here and there  :) and finally I decided to end up with my spying attitude  ;) and say hi and thank everyone here for the help. Thank you.

I started with film cameras when film cameras were the only way to get photos  8) so I am that old... My very first one was an ALPA from my granddad which I used extensively for years. Then, I do not know why, I decided to buy my own camera with my birthday savings and I bought a Yashica FX-3 2000, a fantastic camera still here with me that I was not able to obtain good results with. When digital world surfaced i promptly got a Digital Konica Minolta but results were't good. Some years later, I bought a Pentax Km (stolen) then replaced by a K20 to which I attached lots of manual lenses. This is my digital camera up to date.

It was in 2011 when I turned back to film, slowly but firmly  :) and now I can say that I am a real filmwaster (just look at my fridge where there are much more rolls than food  8) )

So here I am.

My photo, a bit blurred, taken with CineStill 50 and scanned with a Pakon F135 Plus,

Regards,

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #554 on: February 17, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
Gee, thanks becky. And yes, I can see how friendly you guys are and how you enjoy photography. A really nice place to drop by a while every day :)
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #555 on: March 03, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »
Sorry, no self portrait as of yet, but I'd still like to introduce myself. :)

I'm friends with ManuelL and I used to shoot film decades ago as a teenager and later went into digital photography (which I still do). ManuelL and I have been friends for some time and during our photography outings I started to appreciate the charm of analogue photography again (it was me watching over him doing his craft with his 4x5 camera when he stood in this creek that's sometimes flooded with water from a dam -- what a thrill-seeker ;) ). So I finally went back to analogue photography last year with a Canon A-1 and AE-1 Program. I also have a weakness for small rangefinder cameras. I love my Olympus 35RC but also my Yashica Electro 35 GSN. I occasionally like taking photos with an old Zeiss Ikon Tenax which takes 24x24mm pictures. I've only been shooting 35mm film so far. I shoot colour and B&W,  however, I only develop B&W by myself.

ManuelL introduced me to this forum and I'm looking forward to discussing filmwasting with you guys. :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #556 on: March 03, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Welcome CS1.  ManuelL is a great photographer and it's great that you've joined the merry band.  We're a friendly bunch and I'm looking forward to seeing loads of your photos in future.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #557 on: March 03, 2017, 07:40:10 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try to do my best photo-wise.  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #558 on: March 03, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »
Welcome :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2017, 04:08:06 AM »
Yay! Another victim err, friend! :D

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
Welcome. Come in :)

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »
Hello,

My name is Miguel. I'd like to consider myself a somewhat serious amateur... Currently own a Canon EOS 650, a Canon EF 35-70 lens that came with it and two filters. I've recently started developing, and also own an Epson V370 to scan my film. I'm in the process of setting a "pop-up" darkroom in my own bedroom.

Sorry, no self-portrait as of now.

Thank you!
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2017, 07:46:34 PM »
Bonjour!
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #563 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »
Hi, Miguel! Good luck with that darkroom of yours :)
/jonas

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #564 on: March 24, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Welcome Miguel. Come in and take a sit :)

mikec

• Photography and Vintage Film Cameras
« Reply #565 on: November 12, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »
I shot this in the course of attending a caffenol workshop in Las Vegas, NM conducted very ably by Becky Ramotowsky. I set my Argoflex Forty on a newpaper box in front of the drugstore and tripped the shutter with a cable release held at arm's lenth. I probably should have given the Acros twice the eight minutes I allowed it in the caffenol developer. Still, I was pretty pleased with the first-time results.

Selfie in Las Vegas, NM by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

I stopped posting in forums six or eight years ago because I felt I was spending too much time at it rather than making photos.  However, I continued following a couple forums including this one.  I mostly just want to acknowledge my admiration for the members here for the consistently excellent work that is exhibited as well as the congenial atmosphere of the forum.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:36:27 PM by mikec »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #566 on: November 13, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
Thanks Mike for the nice words.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #567 on: November 13, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
Hey Mike! Great to see you here. I understand about spending more time looking at a screen rather than through a viewfinder. Here's to balance and sharing what we create!

James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Jonathan

• 35mm
« Reply #568 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »
Greetings from an occasional lurker, now dipping a toe in a little further… With belated thanks to fixer Ed for resolving problems with my registration.

I came across the filmwasters site a few years ago, having been been getting back into film again over the last two or three years -- thanks for the inspiration and encouragement, whether or not you knew you were providing it! I live in London, by the way.

Time and budgets are usually tight but I do enjoy taking photos and developing (mostly black-and-white) film at home. I resurrected my film cameras (and developing tanks etc) from storage, mostly still working OK and supplemented by a few finds at charity shops and online bargains. Scanning negs and tweaking scans on computer appeal less, but will have to do until I get an enlarger sorted out to make prints…

I was going to post a pic but can't get it to show up at the moment -- so bye for now!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:00:07 PM by Jonathan »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #569 on: June 11, 2018, 11:06:40 PM »
Welcome!
And don't worry about the tweaking scans thing, I think we all hate it and just resort to using levels, curves and dusting tools... And for me, a lot of the time not even the dusting tools.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #570 on: June 12, 2018, 03:38:13 AM »
Welcome Jonathan, you’re not the only one to start out as a lurker.  We look forward to your contributions.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #571 on: June 12, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
Always good to have another film waster come out of the shadows (which of course have retained plenty of detail). Welcome to the group. We are looking forward to seeing your work.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

leanne

• Global Moderator
« Reply #572 on: June 12, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »
Hi. Kind of new member here. Been away from film for a while, but hope to get back to it soon, and need a bit of inspiration! I'm hoping to find that here. It seems like my kind of place.

Thanks

Leanne.  :)

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2018, 02:29:19 PM »
It's wonderful that you both joined Leanne and Jonathan. Looking forward to see both your work. :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »
It's always nice to have some new faces around here :)
Francois

Jonathan

• 35mm
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
Welcome!
And don't worry about the tweaking scans thing, I think we all hate it and just resort to using levels, curves and dusting tools... And for me, a lot of the time not even the dusting tools.

Thanks for the welcome, Francois. I think I'm learning to streamline that side of things a bit.
And meanwhile there are cyanotypes, which I've started to try doing. Subject to availability of sunshine…

Jonathan

• 35mm
« Reply #576 on: June 16, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
Welcome Jonathan, you’re not the only one to start out as a lurker.  We look forward to your contributions.

Thanks, Bryan. Coming soon…
I've enjoyed your abandoned mine etc photos!

Jonathan

• 35mm
« Reply #577 on: June 16, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
Always good to have another film waster come out of the shadows (which of course have retained plenty of detail). Welcome to the group. We are looking forward to seeing your work.

Thanks, jharr. I was trying to develop [pun intended] some kind of reply about whether I might feel overexposed, but haven't quite got there.

Jonathan

• 35mm
« Reply #578 on: June 16, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
It's wonderful that you both joined Leanne and Jonathan. Looking forward to see both your work. :)

Thanks for the enthusiastic welcome, cs1.
I love your dawn pic in the current weekend thread, by the way.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
Welcome!

Jonathan and Leanne :)
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Jonathan

• 35mm
« Reply #580 on: June 17, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
Welcome!

Jonathan and Leanne :)

Thanks, Miguel. I've enjoyed some of your shots, including the cat looking through the railings a few weeks ago.

grit

• Portfolio
« Reply #581 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
Hi! I'm Ryan. I was born and still live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a test prep instructor, meaning I teach math and English grammar, mostly to 25-ish-year-olds. I play jazz saxophone and piano and take photographs in my spare time. I've lurked on this forum for awhile and have really enjoyed my time here so I thought I'd join up; I haven't found anything on the internet quite like this place. I learned to develop film at my local community college awhile ago when I found a medium format camera in our local internet classifieds (to this day, I have actually never developed 35mm film myself! Only 120.) I'm now a member at SF's Harvey Milk Photo Center, our community darkroom. I'm also getting more into large format and am very much looking forward to chatting with all of you about it.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #582 on: December 19, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
Welcome, Ryan. :) That's a really good portrait. Did you take it yourself?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #583 on: December 19, 2018, 09:25:40 PM »
Bonjour Ryan :)
Francois

grit

• Portfolio
« Reply #584 on: December 20, 2018, 02:10:42 AM »
Welcome, Ryan. :) That's a really good portrait. Did you take it yourself?

Thanks! Sort of - it was a collaborative effort. There was an assignment for my lighting class where we had to try to replicate the lighting from a famous photograph (we were given several choices). Our group of three chose Irving Penn's portrait of Truman Capote (a Google image search will bring up the original photo); we set up my camera and the lights, and I was chosen to model, I think largely because I wear glasses.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #585 on: January 08, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
Leanne, Jonathan, Grit, welcome all. Please share work when you can, ask questions and provide feedback on others' work too. It's a friendly bunch!

Matt Lethbridge LRPS

• 35mm
    • No Lens Landscapes
« Reply #586 on: August 24, 2019, 11:12:08 PM »
Hi all, I'm Matt from West Yorkshire. I have been successfully wasting film for around three years now. I shoot mainly Black and White Pinhole but am known to occasionally dig out my old pre-war folding cameras.

This self portrait is an accidental double exposure with a Zeiss Ikon Nettar.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #587 on: August 25, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
Hi! Matt
Francois

Matt Lethbridge LRPS

• 35mm
    • No Lens Landscapes
« Reply #588 on: August 25, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »
Hi Francois.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #589 on: August 27, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
Welcome on board, Matt! :)

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #590 on: May 17, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
I was reflecting the other day that I've been in and out of FW since 2013 but never introduced myself at the beginning, so I'm doing this now before it reaches 10 years!   :o

As a child of 1964 I recall my folks taking one or two films on holiday on the easy to insert 126 format, later a 110, and then a point and shoot camera taking 135 during my teens. I managed to "borrow" a friend's Pentax ME Super during my undergraduate degree, and though film was regarded as expensive, I used one of the mail-in companies that returned a free film for every roll you sent in. I bought my own first SLR (a second hand ME Super) in 1990, but didn't start shooting film with gusto until about 2009.

I re-learned the joy by shooting lots and regularly, mainly using cheap expired film, before the prices started to get a bit excessive. I've had a career of working in secure mental health services, and I think that's helped me value solitude and the process and rewards of visual creation. I'm now semi-retired and have a lot more time, film, and cameras, and I finally started developing film only this February. And I love it! And there's still so much more I want to explore: developing in E6 and C41, learning to use that MPP 5x4 camera I bought 10 years ago while it was going cheap, using the 2 pin-hole cameras I made back in January, shooting more of those rolls of film that expired in 1964 now I know better how to expose and develop them, learning how to scan film better, and using that enlarger I was gifted...it just goes on ???

Your collective wisdom, fun, and tolerance are wonderful to be a part of, so thank you!  :)

My image was made by Laura Peters, using the wet plate collodion process on tin at the Phoenix Festival, Llanfyllin in Wales in August 2018.

Andy

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #591 on: May 17, 2021, 08:38:21 PM »
Good to see you Andy :)
Francois

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #592 on: May 18, 2021, 04:48:41 PM »

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #593 on: June 14, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »
I forget to come here and see the new filmwasters..
Welcome Matt, and Ryan, and Andy.
Glad you found us. 8)

Antonio

• 35mm
« Reply #594 on: September 02, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »
Hi! I'm back ... perhaps most of you don't even remember me ;-) I left the forum for some stupid political misunderstandings (I was the stupid then ... sorry for that). But I've been visinting these pages and enjoying your photos and comments.
Thank you.

Kind regards from Spain.
Antonio

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #595 on: September 02, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »
Hi! I'm back ... perhaps most of you don't even remember me ;-) I left the forum for some stupid political misunderstandings (I was the stupid then ... sorry for that). But I've been visinting these pages and enjoying your photos and comments.
Thank you.

Kind regards from Spain.
Antonio
Welcome back Antonio, I remember you and enjoyed your photos. 

Antonio

• 35mm
« Reply #596 on: September 02, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
Thank you.

Kind regards from Spain.
Antonio
Welcome back Antonio, I remCember you and enjoyed your photos.
HI!

Thank you Bryan !

Saludos

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #597 on: September 02, 2021, 09:14:12 PM »
Hola Antonio!
feliz de verte de nuevo...
(slowly learning my Spanish on Duolingo... but not really up to speed yet)  ;)
Francois

Antonio

• 35mm
« Reply #598 on: September 02, 2021, 09:47:41 PM »
Hola Antonio!
feliz de verte de nuevo...
(slowly learning my Spanish on Duolingo... but not really up to speed yet)  ;)

Bonjour Francois.
Très bien. Je veux apprendre le français et le russe :-) ... although I need to improve my english too, hahaha.

Un abrazo

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #599 on: September 03, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
Welcome back Antonio!